TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can the Tesla battery power my house?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by doctorwho, Jan 14, 2014.

1. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

... well not exactly, but I'm building a solar powered house with battery storage, of course I'll plan to charge the Tesla from the PV panels (at least partially). We also live in a bushfire prone area and will have pumps and sprinklers powered by battery driven pumps. I was wondering whether it was possible to get the power out of the Tesla to extend the time that the batteries can run the pumps.

2. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Not directly, but in theory you could put the car on a dynamo and set cruise control. :smile:

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

We call this vehicle to grid (V2G) and the Model S it NOT capable of doing so. You might get some 12V out of it, but not at very high currents.

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

You could put an AC inverter on the 12V battery. No idea how big the DC->DC converter in the car is or how much power you could draw however.

Does anyone know how big the DC->DC converter is? Perhaps if you added a deep cycle 12V battery as a buffer you could power some stuff in the event of a power outage.

5. tom66

tom66 Member

It's rated to around 120 amps, like most vehicle alternators, except it can put out the full current continuously.

6. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

7. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I do hope at some point Tesla offers pack to AC inverters. No reason they couldn't.

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That's a decent amount of power. A 1500W inverter plus a deep cycle battery could definitely get me by during a power outage then.

9. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#10 islandbayy, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

11. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Thanks, helpful info as usual:smile:

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Tesla has specifically said that you can't use the car to power the house.

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

After having just gone through a power outage last weekend and having to GO BUY GAS for my generator (ugh!), I couldn't help but wish I could tap into the 85kWh with onboard 10,000W AC/DC converter sitting there in my garage.

Please Tesla, add this to your roadmap.

14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

15. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Agreed! It would be awesome if Tesla had a solution they supported that could power your house during an outage.

16. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> It's rated to around 120 amps, like most vehicle alternators, except it can put out the full current continuously. [tom66]

BUT, you cannot share that capability since, when you least expect it, some pump will turn ON and not getting the juice it needs, will shut down the entire system. To be safe draw only about 10 amps max for your external needs (120 watts).
    --

17. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

One thing to note, why it also may not be practical at this time for Tesla to offer this, and this is by no means me NOT wanting it, I would like the capability to back feed.

We have a lil thing available to us that the rest of the EV world doesn't, well, 2 things actually. #1, a HUGE battery, and #2, Superchargers....I think a problem might become, cheap ass people within a short distance of a supercharger, might go supercharge up, then go home, and back-feed it into the grid at high rate times. Rinse and repeat. While at first thought, "who would be that cheap", however, it can actually save or make that person a lot of money.

If I were to get a grid tie system, and back feed into the grid at my day time rates, my full 60kW pack would MAKE ME $16.50 (leaving about 5kW in the pack to drive back to the Supercharger. Now, thats doing it ONCE/day. Given the 7am to 7pm time frame of my TOS, I could charge up once before 7am, get home, back feed my pack, and be back at the SC at 9ish am. Rinse and repeat. I figure I could do that 4x/day (unless output is severally limited!), and 5 days a week (weekends are considered off peak). That would be a $66/day profit. Now multiply that by 4 weeks, so 4 weeks times 5 on peak days/week = a cool $1320/month, and thats with just a 60kW pack. That goes up with a 80kW pack.....

Who cares about battery wear, as that is almost double my car payment. And then, the "waste of time". Whos wasting time. It's not like the car needs to be babysited while discharging. Go read a book, take a online course... Many things one could do.

So, thats just my Theory. I see a potential for A LOT OF ABUSE!!!!!

One thing that could be done though, is either A, limit the number of times per day/month/year this could be done via the car's software, and any uses above that you would need to pay per use (licensing fee of sorts). or B, if you live XXX number of miles from a supercharger to not make it worth wile to do the above theory, or C, Tesla enables functionality automatically using the National Weather System's forcast's, and enabling the functionality when periods of severe weather or hazards are reported.

Like I say, just Theory and Ideas, and by no means complete. I might just do another 40-60 minute video on this idea, as my mind is turning now ;) In fact, I think I have a new "project" on my hands ^_^

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

While I'm sure that there is room for abuse, I'm not sure who would buy a $100,000 car to drive all day, every day, back and forth between your house and a SC. Considering there is more advanced signaling between the car and SC, it's likely Tesla would detect a motorist doing this pretty quickly, and the number of cycles would likely age the battery pack very quickly, and the logs would bear that out. It is also limited to a small radius around a SC, as you'd consume power to drive home, then save enough to drive back to the SC. Simple ToS agreements can deal with that, IMO.

Although now you've piqued my interest. For those of you who have to pay TOU rates, I wonder if there would be any savings in using an inverter-charger combination to do TOU storage (store at night, reverse during day) to pay for the gear necessary?

Our co-op abolished TOU rates long ago, and went back to a collapsed rate. Then again, we pay LESS per kWh for 2,000+ (8.6c) than we do for the first 2,000 (9.5c).

19. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I was just using that as like I said, theory/example. Not perfect. Flat rate here is 13cents kWh. TOS is 5cents kWh off peak, On peak is 27 cents winter and a fraction of a cent under 30 in spring through fall.

20. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

If you build in a factor to account for battery degradation that occurs with cycling, V2G in a Model S is a very expensive proposition. While it might be justified for emergency uses (i.e., you're going to lose a 'frig full of food), in most cases it's a poor choice.