Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Tesla wall charger charge other EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m about to have a wall charger installed, I am trying to decide between the Tesla wall charger or the ChargePoint charger. The ChargePoint charger is a little more expensive but it can charge any electric vehicle. I am pretty much a Tesla fan boy but Teslas poor service at times tries my patience so if I ever decide to go with another brand (Assuming anything comparable ever pops up) I want to make sure I don’t have to buy a different wall charger. Are there any adapters for the Tesla charger and would it even charge another EV or does it have a built in detector that won’t allow none Tesla vehicles?

In addition to the adapters, it's possible to replace the entire cable assembly with one with a J1772 plug. This might be preferable to using an adapter if you replace a Tesla with a non-Tesla EV; however, it would be more hassle to install and it would probably be more expensive. Also, if you replace the car far enough into the future, it's conceivable that the Tesla Wall Connector would be on its last legs, or there might be features in newer J1772 EVSEs that you'd want. Thus, replacing the EVSE might make sense in this scenario, although that would likely be even more expensive. You could probably re-use the wiring from the breaker box to the EVSE, though, so installation costs would be low.

Currently, Tesla's J1772 adapter is $95, and one comes with every new Tesla sold, whereas third-party adapters to let non-Teslas charge on a Tesla EVSE cost in the $200-$250 range. Of course, that might change in the future.

Also, be aware that Tesla has recently discontinued its Gen2 Wall Connector in favor of a Gen3 model. There are various discussions on this forum about this shift. In brief, the Gen3 unit has an ~18-foot cable, vs. a choice between ~8-foot (IIRC) and ~24-foot cables for the Gen2; the Gen3 maxes out at 48A, whereas the Gen2 can provide up to 80A (but both can be dialed down below these limits, and often are, to match what's reasonable given your car's and house wiring's capabilities, and all current-production Teslas max out at 48A or lower); and the Gen3 adds new WiFi features. If you prefer the Gen2 features, you may need to scramble to find one; I don't know how much Gen2 stock is left. Given the wide variety of third-party J1772 EVSEs, you can probably find almost any mix of features you want in them, except of course for the Tesla plug and interoperability with Tesla EVSEs (for load sharing, etc).

A note for EU-located readers/owners: in Europe a Tesla wall connector uses a standard Type 2 connector, which will fit and charge any EU Tesla (of course) AND any other EV vehicle with a Type 2 socket.

Same as in AU.
Plug will fit, however communication protocol is different.

Gen 1 chargers have a Legacy mode (Dip 2 switch down) which enables all Type2 cars to charge.
Early Gen 2 chargers also have legacy mode, but this was removed some time in 2019 and no longer mentioned in the manual. Dip 2 is still there but does nothing.

Don't think we've seen Gen 3 outside the US.

I recently picked up a Kia Niro and bought this. I’ve read on Amazon that this charger is destroying their Tesla charger(Meaning their charger would no longer work). I used it on the Niro and went back to see if it would charge my Tesla and it worked fine. Did you have an issue with this charger?
not sure how it could ruin the charger. many happy reviews there.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Tenants in one of our properties have told me they are considering purchasing an EV; it might be a Tesla but perhaps not.

That got me to thinking if, instead of installing one of Tesla‘s Wall Chargers, it might be significantly more appropriate for the combination of both these tenants and future ones, as well as a lot cheaper, to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and have tenants fend for themselves to supply adapters for whatever vehicle they have.

My recollection from charging our first Model S on a 6-50 - thus at 40A - was we got 34-36 miles per hour of charging. A commuter needing to round-trip 75 miles would find this rate far more than sufficient.

Thoughts?

Reactions: cmy4x4
Tenants in one of our properties have told me they are considering purchasing an EV; it might be a Tesla but perhaps not.

That got me to thinking if, instead of installing one of Tesla‘s Wall Chargers, it might be significantly more appropriate for the combination of both these tenants and future ones, as well as a lot cheaper, to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and have tenants fend for themselves to supply adapters for whatever vehicle they have.

My recollection from charging our first Model S on a 6-50 - thus at 40A - was we got 34-36 miles per hour of charging. A commuter needing to round-trip 75 miles would find this rate far more than sufficient.

Thoughts?
14-50 or EVSE, either way you are improving the property. The 14-50 is versatile and cheaper, an EVSE would be nicer for the tenant.

Depending on the run needed for the EVSE or receptacle, it may actually be a wash, price-wise, to just buy an EVSE. You'll save on wire (one less conductor, no neutral needed on the EVSE), and the non-GFCI breaker for the EVSE will be a lot less than a GFCI breaker for the 14-50R. If you're installing for a property, I would go with a J1772 EVSE, either made by Tesla or other. All Tesla vehicles come with a J1772 adapter to plug into public J1772 EVSEs, but non-Tesla owners may not carry a Tesla >> J1772 adapter to go the other way. As @Genie said, an EVSE will be nicer for the tenant as well.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and srs5694
(looking it up…)…2017 NEC 625.54 says GFCI is mandatory only for runs of 150V or less. Revisions to this 625.54 in 2020 did not alter that 150V limit.

(without looking it up…)…Surely not a GFCI on a 14-50??!! After all, typical usage is as a welder outlet.
🤔
It's very specific that ANY receptacle being installed for the purpose of EV charging MUST use a GFCI breaker. That is in NEC versions 2017 and onward.
(looking it up…)…2017 NEC 625.54 says GFCI is mandatory only for runs of 150V or less. Revisions to this 625.54 in 2020 did not alter that 150V limit.
That says 150V TO GROUND or less. American split voltage systems are +120V and -120V. Both sides are only 120V to ground, so even the 240V outlets are within that "150V or less to ground" specification. They are not truly high voltage systems that are 200 or 300 volts above ground.

I basically second what @beatle said, that if you're going to install something at a public property, it's better to just put in a J1772 station, rather than an outlet that many people won't have a cord for.