Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Tesla Wall Connector output power to a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We finally bought a Tesla Wall Connector so we can keep the mobile charger permanently inside the car. An electrician is coming to install it in a few days and just in case we need to charge a non Tesla EV at some point, we also want to have a NEMA 12-50 outlet installed next to the Tesla Wall Connector.

We would prefer to avoid the expense of bringing in an 80 Amp 240V line for the Tesla Wall Connector and an additional 50 Amp line for the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Does the Tesla Wall Connector have a power output so we can daisy chain a NEMA 14-50 outlet out of the power that comes from the Tesla Wall Connector?

We finally bought a Tesla Wall Connector so we can keep the mobile charger permanently inside the car. An electrician is coming to install it in a few days and just in case we need to charge a non Tesla EV at some point, we also want to have a NEMA 12-50 outlet installed next to the Tesla Wall Connector.

We would prefer to avoid the expense of bringing in an 80 Amp 240V line for the Tesla Wall Connector and an additional 50 Amp line for the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Does the Tesla Wall Connector have a power output so we can daisy chain a NEMA 14-50 outlet out of the power that comes from the Tesla Wall Connector?
No.

This does exist -JDapter Stub

Btw - a Tesla plug cannot becomes a 14-50 because there is no neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
No.

This does exist -JDapter Stub

Btw - a Tesla plug cannot becomes a 14-50 because there is no neutral.

Ugh. So the electrician will need to run one 80 amp electrical wire for the Tesla Wall connector and a separate 50 amp wire for the NEMA 14-50 outlet?

I guess the other option is to install a second Tesla Wall Connector that can be daisy chained to the first Tesla Wall Connector and use the second Tesla Wall Connector with JDapter for non Tesla EVs?

Is anyone on this forum using JDapter for a non Tesla EV with a Tesla Wall Connector?

You could just buy a J1772 connector with a pre-attached cable. Then have the electrician swap the tesla connector, making the wall charger a generic J1772 charger that is compatible with all ev's.

This way you can keep adding tesla wall chargers and they will share the power, time share etc.

• Informative
You could just buy a J1772 connector with a pre-attached cable. Then have the electrician swap the tesla connector, making the wall charger a generic J1772 charger that is compatible with all ev's.

You mean it is possible to remove the Tesla charging cable from the Tesla Wall Connector and replace it with a J1772 cord that will attach to the Tesla Wall Connector? Do you have a link for such a connector?

The advantage of using Tesla Wall connectors is the ability to share the load to charge up to four EVs at the same time:

Power sharing with multiple Wall Connectors

multiple-wall-connectors.jpg

Would it be more versatile if I get the electrician to just run a 50 amp wire rather than an 80 amp wire?

I do have a high capacity charger but I doubt I'd need the extra power. This way if I move, I can simply remove the Tesla Wall Connector and easily just replace that with a NEMA 14-50 and still sell the house as having a high voltage EV charger.

80amp 240V circuit is no joke and expensive.

First off your breaker needs to be able to handle the extra amperage, which most don't unless you had a 200amp service breaker installed.
Even then be prepared to watch your meter number fly when pulling 72amps at maximum charge.

The installation and price difference between 50amps vs 80 amps is almost night and day, unless you got like the perfect allignment of the moon and stars and the location for install is in the most optimal location.

To answer your question about the HPWC unit, it has a dim switchs yo u can set to limit the amperage draw.
So if you only have a 50amp circuit wired to it, you can limit the draw on the unit via dim switch.

I personally paid the expense to run a 80amp circuit, and well, honestly i think i would of been fine with a 50amp, as if i need to charge fast, its a lot faster me just going to a super charger to top off.

Well this was before all the super chargers got flooded with Model 3's tho.

The advantage of using Tesla Wall connectors is the ability to share the load to charge up to four EVs at the same time:

not only that, its so you can rapid charge at the maximum amperage a model S can handle at 72amps.

The mobile charger will do 32amps. (the one u get for free which can do 120v or 220v)
The other charger does 40amps. (this one only has a nema 14-50 plug and only does 220V)
The wall charger can go the full 72amps, but again requires expensive installation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Seems like you want to go to a lot of trouble for a hypothetical situation of a non-Tesla EV charging at your house, unless you haven't told us the whole story. Most non-Tesla EVs can't charge directly from a 14-50 outlet anyway.

If you wanted a Wall Connector for faster charging at home, fine, but if it's to keep the UMC in the car that's a silly reason. There is no need for a UMC in the car unless you're driving on an overnight trip, and even then you're unlikely to use it unless you're staying at a house where you can plug in. Take it with you on those occasions, otherwise tens of thousands of us since 2013 have just left it plugged in and hanging on the wall. All of your charging other than at home will be with superchargers, Wall Connectors, and J1772s, none of which use the UMC.

So apparently I should have posted this question before I spent $500 on the Tesla Wall Connector!

At least I will not be spending extra $$$ on a 80 amp line for the Wall Connector. Though my car can charge at 72 Amps it seems I will do just fine with the 50 amp connection charging at 40 amps. Heck all this time we have gotten by just fine with a 110V 4 miles per hour so I'll just have the electrician run a 50 amp connection and have him set the Tesla dip switches to 50 amps and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for the super good advice in not wasting money on an 80 amp line and additionally wasting more money on a hypothetical second EV charger!

Last edited:
Would it be more versatile if I get the electrician to just run a 50 amp wire rather than an 80 amp wire?

I do have a high capacity charger but I doubt I'd need the extra power. This way if I move, I can simply remove the Tesla Wall Connector and easily just replace that with a NEMA 14-50 and still sell the house as having a high voltage EV charger.

It seems like you're under the impression that if you run wiring for 80 amp service, that you wouldn't be able to swap your Tesla wall connector with a 14-50 outlet when you move. You certainly still could do this swap, you'd just need to make sure the breaker matches the outlet.

You should at least see the cost difference between the 2 wiring options before you make a decision. You can get by with slower charging, but having faster charging doesn't hurt.

For a brief time earlier this year, Tesla was selling a wall charger with a 14-50 plug on it. I had planned to buy one but it disappeared from the web site before I could order. There are a couple of threads about it, speculating that it got pulled over regulatory issues.

So apparently I should have posted this question before I spent $500 on the Tesla Wall Connector!

At least I will not be spending extra $$$ on a 80 amp line for the Wall Connector. Though my car can charge at 72 Amps it seems I will do just fine with the 50 amp connection charging at 40 amps. Heck all this time we have gotten by just fine with a 110V 4 miles per hour so I'll just have the electrician run a 50 amp connection and have him set the Tesla dip switches to 50 amps and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for the super good advice in not wasting money on an 80 amp line and additionally wasting more money on a hypothetical second EV charger!

This is the right choice. You'll be perfectly content with this setup. If you ever buy a second EV you can deal with any issues at that point.

I have dual chargers so this is on a 100 amp breaker. Split the 14-50 off the same line with the idea that I would only use it as a backup in case the HPWC failed. Couldn't use them at the same time but much cheaper than running two lines there. Actually, in thinking about it, might be able to use them both if I reduced the charge rate in my car.
wall.JPG

• Helpful