TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the windshield metallic coating be scraped off?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jrogville, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I don't understand why the Model S has to have a metallic coating on the windshield that screws up RFID and radar reception. The Model X owners are able to use detectors like the Valentine1 and EZ-pass on their windshields just fine. What's so different about the Model S?

Can a portion of that stuff be scrapped off or otherwise removed? Or is it embedded in the glass?

2. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

I'm guessing here but I think any reflective properties a probably laminated into the glass.

3. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

With a cone that extends for miles, it seems to me that it wouldn't take very much of an area to clear in front of the V1 sensor for it to be able to work. I'm thinking a very fine grit on a Dremel.

How does the Homelink get through? Is it mounted in the rearview mirror housing?

4. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

The windshield is metalized because it rejects infrared and UV which keeps it cooler in the cabin. This reduces the energy required to keep the car cool in the summer, and thus increases battery range.

As a Model X owner, I am confused by your statement that the Model X does not have this issue. It does.

5. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

If you will search the X forums, I have read many posts from people that have radar detectors with very little reduction in detector range. I'm not at my computer, so I can't give you the links here.

6. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Oh wow this sucks - did not realize our cars have this issue. Haven't used a V1 in years but was thinking of ordering a new detector.

7. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I've been using my V1 for years and I don't want to give it up. Not willing to spend $2k on the remote unit everyone talks about, and that doesn't warming about signal from the back.

8. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

We used our Passport Max for a week on the MS and it worked flawless for 800 miles. Tagged every cop miles away

9. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Your signature doesn't list a Tesla. What model year Model S do you have? I'm not familiar with the Passport Max. Is it equivalent to the Valentine One? Maybe there's hope yet. Picking up my 2015 S 85D on Friday.

10. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

We are getting a CPO that is on order. But, may move up to a P90D.

We used Turo and rented a 15 70D to see if we liked the car. The new Passport Max 360 is now better than a V1 with its technology. The patents expired for V1 arrows.
    20170214_231651.jpg

11. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Thanks for the info. This is very hopeful, since the car you rented is the same year as mine. I'll have to research the Passport Max 360.

12. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

One other question, where on the windshield did you place it?

13. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Low just above the dash center. since it was not hard wired into the car I would go nuts with a big cord hanging.

14. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I'm just wondering if there's less of that metallic lining toward the bottom of the windshield and that's why it works where others have reported that it wouldn't. The best location for hard wiring I think is right below the rearview mirror and connecting to the power for the mirror dimming. That's a switched source that I've read folks use.

• Like x 1
  15. oktane

oktane Active Member

Interesting that people are reporting radar detectors working on the interior of the Model S. I guess I shouldn't have believed it without testing myself. Could have saved myself a lot of hassle (and cost) compared to installing a remote detector.

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Homelink doesn't go through the windows. The Homelink transmitter is located in the front of the car behind the bumper cover.