Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the windshield metallic coating be scraped off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why the Model S has to have a metallic coating on the windshield that screws up RFID and radar reception. The Model X owners are able to use detectors like the Valentine1 and EZ-pass on their windshields just fine. What's so different about the Model S?

Can a portion of that stuff be scrapped off or otherwise removed? Or is it embedded in the glass?

With a cone that extends for miles, it seems to me that it wouldn't take very much of an area to clear in front of the V1 sensor for it to be able to work. I'm thinking a very fine grit on a Dremel.

How does the Homelink get through? Is it mounted in the rearview mirror housing?

I don't understand why the Model S has to have a metallic coating on the windshield that screws up RFID and radar reception. The Model X owners are able to use detectors like the Valentine1 and EZ-pass on their windshields just fine.

The windshield is metalized because it rejects infrared and UV which keeps it cooler in the cabin. This reduces the energy required to keep the car cool in the summer, and thus increases battery range.

As a Model X owner, I am confused by your statement that the Model X does not have this issue. It does.

We are getting a CPO that is on order. But, may move up to a P90D.

We used Turo and rented a 15 70D to see if we liked the car. The new Passport Max 360 is now better than a V1 with its technology. The patents expired for V1 arrows.
20170214_231651.jpg

We are getting a CPO that is on order. But, may move up to a P90D.

We used Turo and rented a 15 70D to see if we liked the car. The new Passport Max 360 is now better than a V1 with its technology. The patents expired for V1 arrows.
Thanks for the info. This is very hopeful, since the car you rented is the same year as mine. I'll have to research the Passport Max 360.

Low just above the dash center. since it was not hard wired into the car I would go nuts with a big cord hanging.
I'm just wondering if there's less of that metallic lining toward the bottom of the windshield and that's why it works where others have reported that it wouldn't. The best location for hard wiring I think is right below the rearview mirror and connecting to the power for the mirror dimming. That's a switched source that I've read folks use.

Reactions: Indpowr
Interesting that people are reporting radar detectors working on the interior of the Model S. I guess I shouldn't have believed it without testing myself. Could have saved myself a lot of hassle (and cost) compared to installing a remote detector.