Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can there be phantom charging outside of charging schedule?

tanka

Dec 1, 2020
Mill Valley, Ca
If I set the charging schedule to start at midnight. Can the car randomly charge at other times? I read on some post that it can charge at random times in the 6 hours following the schedule start, but that was an old post. Does any of you who tracks those things super religiously know what the current status is?

I have the car on a dryer splitter, which I know some of you will say is not the best, but it will work just fine if I can get confirmation that the car won’t pull any juice outside of its charging schedule.

davewill

Feb 5, 2014
San Diego, CA, US
It will turn on the EVSE if you open a door or turn on the climate control. Personally, I'd come up with a solution that didn't have the dryer and the EVSE connected to the same chair at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

theothertom

May 9, 2020
South Carolina
Sometimes it will turn on the battery conditioning system (if it's too hot or cold) and pull power from the grid as opposed to the battery. I don't know if this will happen out of the charging schedule window but I suspect it will.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC