Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can this be repaired? (Rear quarter panel, passenger side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a little mishap with my Model S, unfortunately. The damage doesn't look that bad, but from reading some other threads on here, looks can be deceiving when it comes to Tesla body damage.
1QtqBBSA9-_EYSxhDRS8gARnI1d-_I4yJ9PLvh7zQikNqFPFa4H0zJz2OLDwovLfNR39nuczWJPH7Q7HZGQ8M1tj845ECS4ED-4UZXr9MvHOFfXPg_bJ7V0Y_JyEEeaOaJ9J5KdBXgtrGeV6Hq7ms--NhwQBQj4Pn4GTjVKQplf1odWeOwcbA2tD4fHFw3wIcnD_9hI4W2KHfyhuCurYyUxMxb6DK8a0aIIJ7qtDW-kWXjTUBn2bqQsa3niriy50P9YyGVi5tiQaaNI4NFZxRTPd-tHX-EwBW-csOEw92x_JdwoDrcqOf6Pz-3YvoBnlWt3BGkRNzLtdh8E03oSSxo9-pVYbxtLsHHV-Jjfm5OrZtEjYglB7UcvIFu8yMZk8Q-A973N6wtKpqPoZOQmxENW6i8H-wm_1p4jBjUuv_kQIXRpCvw-pNs-qZ7JgQbEkCOjGb_mdsuJprDHaboh1pCp3i0BsJ9wmRT8OlesggUxVJJJ8b1UJXrATXtnz1voA5MPfDgMJU0nEEqcxBfBPCHhdJTmVi2RJH9FwKBlg0P4kaz43iItIXQkwpMI60icjPibqp1kMCVTfSp9t6npjZQu5RSLYMXuN-3muOc4-Ke7ocqk-wcto8g=w2250-h1688-no

DvE4qtU7_Rt5YUSra2C1UQ0iowFx_BmRS_R687GzkWH5OzNz5gF0rXsquk042WY7jMafvsQnDSnRxVpkk_kgQoaQxg25XqIokgp3MDTWWGQYzkXbA7IxCRPbvF4X4V5hnYMwKjRE2dvJycg9QXpBEeeAnRaKhScX6UMvwvzTYTR9gjyrJULYeTHSg5a9DWXtLVwS-3qTr-WF1v_UMIfc5-za9qCUNWgH5MDlAsQRGRul5n7wFlI68oLJtUeg8s05XQUMS7ZxKXLRo_XOgKunx10ThBkcSBsH4pbhUZC_jF2_IBRBtOYIsU5fDtDSB6vtFSgR_nEKBtuvoA8yuZShgWAdpOsG8zK1hEuP-EIA0gPJxV-2HP7DGYbCVzZGrbzWC3YDs9Ivh17nzvSOlC-39l18N2QWeI6oyusHJPgVjffZ807sO-zynYkoBrP1joHGVambUVuCKSgoZxh0_em3nCNiamPhF_wmHAJKHWlL7-KXysrfM6yOF9yOHDWO3wutqMgaNKAXbqLC32HbQbh46aDX72uluvLAHnB8ODuhDYSVNuJSqm2igsUsrefMh1aoU5QEsdGylY-y0coK2Vym9_JfQj2SlZF-V54SINarvpsbDRUekpTXOA=w2250-h1688-no

w8vqXRTiUILtX7fqAQMKl2JsPvrCyLv15iv8h4-LDrbgmMYXS0tix_5070KCQdA3jy2db8Jaw_OX-xLxdFUKFUC1gCBMxRebG_5bD21trHVkjl4RINtY74PtcfqWT2L0WuVZMK8AEsTCkTQkpmkYoMpa1_pkUgKW93xzMFMF6JMnnK4Mzo5h5AxmPEHu6vAkAzVraJwKcm3w3IRqFEv-x8Wogp_rLYjv8c4EFXqaTcAFzcaLJBWXXxW4JUgJGxLLKDdlkbpW6TRtMz9MZd8tH5-eybCFDp27kJGmSDNo2B5s5v7IOcFmfeQ29DNJRinzbUlnD-UxRznYdyno5BWsJ1lEW98tgrBe7Az1EY1wC1gWvPoZfSWbc_IAp2gyzpyKdZ1T-LRI9NmgXM-o4udU2z_XG1GNzIQGCV-P6n0QcHWaAMU3Tap7UWTsdncIY-wV-5aGbQTnLS44O2D4dYhzb9GgAMIG126fETyCSpWGLff9nnBT448B_nuniYHVk4lUDi6-1VxBQs4A8lm6KTU2QalrEXdkkl1SApCa9WerLpk139XnM3fuAy3kOdkC3si0B8j36oW5sPXoChbQcLwpBXMZRO-FcmlLRuSLyp9fnOByPxVf5bBe8g=w2250-h1688-no

cnkItpaKLVm-9BM10zFFfwlJD-ZFnQ7F0t5nHymCPGNpzYK_iFIHEfe1NCbp62LqtWg8tFKyaJRIhB9dGjP2pNdW3hXG1RYBK494qUBJzAM1vzNKSi4xdP8gJIaakyOVbi2BuJCk7h4ANb7I_G9y0LwR4s4k0Gcpg7YJJWXkwoEb-N_EczWthKt7UDJImyjkHYR8AsHpUFm8rTtiCKmyemVo5SSxo1qX6UVotw8uzIfpWHTom8KoukzJnIJFdVZrRbhDlBotQAYs1_ABOPkZGnhLl1nJca2q5zulanN0n2r8jmWx4xtbiJuM-jYv-sVeeLbNR-ZdAwmd2VgUPsen3ZoDmRrEDB0OvPgOdIO4I0fAp4shF4BjqUJGgDoERpIf2n57vXV9f6EcWcs3Bvz8a7UEtmpSZw9BLm85pQwjlBWBcaRJo211dbfBWANDCCHsIBhPP90q9lvEgcyMVqr95XRXv0fSTDRUlM1E1N4GiqBFQGe1NrbW7qZRtacL2FV8uX4v3uXEdys_cmNXCab9lbio-XVh73Xf7PztXx0bTSmUCPjkanENoCnITRjn3nsL91dL7eImF2I2BdFutL6CNcuj2b2dX6tNQB8PA6ru-T9QYeyvvA=w2250-h1688-no

I already took the car to a non-Tesla body shop that I have used in the past with other cars. They do a lot of work with aluminum but feel that they wouldn't be able to repair it, or that even if they could, it would take too many hours of labor to make it cost effective. They recommended a Tesla-approved body shop that they work with to have the quarter panel replaced under insurance. I don't want to go through insurance because I'm afraid it'll increase my rates, so I'm seeking alternatives.

Can anyone recommend anyone in the NYC area that might be able to repair this inexpensively? Could I buy a salvage quarter panel and have a body shop install it (and if so, would that save me enough money to make it worth while)? How bad would it be for the car if I just left it alone right now and deal with it in the future?

Thanks for your input.

I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent me from putting in an insurance claim for damage like yours that will obviously be very costly. Of course, if I had a sketchy driving or claims record that might change the calculation.

I can't see the picture on my phone but I had a scratch in my right rear quarter panel. I got it fixed at Precision Auto Body, which is the only Tesla Approved Body Shop near NYC. They did a fantastic job however the price was ridiculous. Obviously I filed an insurance claim but I didn't know a scratch could cost that much. The total billed to the insurance was $7400 for a scratch/dent. The body shop said if it needed to be replaced it would be upwards of $12,000.

When I'm at my computer I can upload pictures of my damage and estimate from the body shop.

I can see the images now. Thanks for reposting. At first look from a distance, not so bad; but the closeups, yikes it ripped into the metal and lower panel too. I'll be curious to see how it turns out for you but looks like a replacement issue to me, and likely insurance claim unless you pony up the cash. What got it? Looks too high for a curb.

Always sad to see a Tesla with damage of any kind.

If you have to use a TM certified shop -- some have cheaper labor rates then others. At least you can drive it and have time on your side to make the best decision! Good luck - keep us updated. I'm no aluminum expert or collision, but I feel like the quarter panel will need replaced based on how it is ripped.

Looks like you damaged both the quarter panel (looks scraped) and the rocker panel (looks gouged). I have damaged both albeit differently. Also looks like you have the non-painted rocker panel, which is good because it's less costly to fix. Last Oct I replaced my non-painted rocker panel. Part was $350 + labor. I had something else repaired so I can't say for sure how much labor it would be, but it was done at the Tesla Service Center and it is $150/hour. As for the quarter panel, I would guess they could repair that vs replace, which would be hugely less expensive. I did more damage than you and they repaired. Quarter panel has to be done at the body shop, as it requires aluminum tools + painting.

Good luck.

Body shop didn't get back to me like they said they would, so for now I've just been driving the car and avoiding looking at the passenger side. I may bring it to a Tesla certified shop to get a second opinion as far as repair vs. replace.
Thanks for the the update. I'm really interested to see if it can be fixed. If it can -- that is awesome! I had a minor accident & mine was replaced... The damage was minor & I'm now sure it could have just been fixed. Oh well lessons learned!

Thanks for the the update. I'm really interested to see if it can be fixed. If it can -- that is awesome! I had a minor accident & mine was replaced... The damage was minor & I'm now sure it could have just been fixed. Oh well lessons learned!

Yes definitely can be. I didn't want to go thru insurance for something so "minor," so they agreed to work with me. Of course that was before I understood what it cost to repair anything on the rear quarter panel:). They were cool to do it either way, and the price to repair was a whole lot less than to replace. They did a great job.

Great if you can find somebody to do only minor aluminum repair. I gouged the same quarter panel and cracked the rear bumper. No sensor damage but because the rear quarter panel had to be replaced the bill was close to $13000. Quarter panel is part of monocoque frame. To remove it required hatch, rear right door, and trim parts to be removed. Spot welds had to be drilled out and new adhesives, rivets and perhaps spot welds redone. Of course the standard sanding, smoothing, painting, etc. also applied.

Someone saw it at a Supercharger and told me it would be $20000. I was incredulous. Now I know. He was close to spot on.
Hope yours is less.

Sorry for the late response. I went to a different body shop (not Tesla certified) and had both the quarter panel and the plastic rocker panel repaired, not replaced. Total cost was $1200. Some of you on here might be able to spot some irregularities, but to my untrained eye, it looks perfect. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Attachments

• IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 269