Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can tire pressure be reduced to improve ride quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire pressure setting is not a precise number is the absolute right number for the vehicle no mater what. There will be a range that works with the extremes working better for different attributes. Yes higher pressure will get good range, and lower pressure will improve ride but the points at which the ings start to "go wrong" we don't really know.

Interesting theory, and I have thought the same. Tesla has the highest air pressure I have seen on any car I have owned. And no difference with or without load, or on higher speeds?
Take a look in the Continental list of tire pressures, pdf.
http://blobs.continental-tires.com/...0ad6a92103d0c/download-tire-pressure-data.pdf

2.9 Bar is equal to 42 PSI. Looks like a very generic guide to me...I would follow the Tesla recommendations :cool:

upload_2018-7-14_16-26-1.png

upload_2018-7-14_16-24-53.png

Interesting theory, and I have thought the same. Tesla has the highest air pressure I have seen on any car I have owned. And no difference with or without load, or on higher speeds?
Cars made in North America don't generally have vehicle placard pressure differences. I don't know if that's because the speed limits are considered too low to make a difference (not true IMHO), or if it's believed the public is not going to understand the principles (there might be some truth to this), or if this is just lawyering where a pressure is recommended to reduce lawsuits. However, speed, load, ambient temperature, vehicle handling, plus other factors go into pressure recommendations. For most on-road use, I consider the vehicle placard pressure to be a minimum starting point. Special circumstances, off-road use, and track use are a totally different matters.

I'm not sure what problems people have with the ride to start with. Or is this just for those that don't have the air suspension?

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
At 45+ PSI my car vibrates at 80-85 MPH. At ~38-40 PSI there is no vibration at that speed. Tires were road force balanced and inspected multiple times, no issues. 45 PSI is just too high, especially when you consider that BMW 760i, of comparable weight to Model S, inflates to only 32/33 PSI.

At 45+ PSI my car vibrates at 80-85 MPH. At ~38-40 PSI there is no vibration at that speed. Tires were road force balanced and inspected multiple times, no issues. 45 PSI is just too high, especially when you consider that BMW 760i, of comparable weight to Model S, inflates to only 32/33 PSI.
Been using 41 psi for a few weeks, including driving a fully loaded car. Works fine. A bit softer ride, no compromise on grip or steering feel, I really tried to push. 19".

Remember that the Model S weighs 300-400 pounds more than a BMW 7

Why?
If BMW recommends < 40 PSI for a car of similar size and weight to a Model S, why would the Model S suffer more at the same pressure?

The current Model S 75D - P100D curb weight ranges from 4,600 to 5,000 lbs. Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

I would recommend keeping your tire pressure above 40 PSI for optimum performance and efficiency ... :cool:

View attachment 310985