Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Two Phones be Paired to the Car at The Same Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What? You can pair all the phones you want as keys. Up to 6? The one approaching from the left (driver’s) side is the chosen key and will run the linked (if any) profile. Bluetooth linking is totally separate. You can have the key phone linked or not linked to BT. Another if present can be linked to BT.

Not exactly sure if that answers the questions but hope it clears up some confusion? :D

For example. We have 2 phones as keys; two cards, and my GF’s phone as BT since only she usually drives the car and listens to phone media content. All phones and cards are linked to the correct driver’s profiles.

Reactions: enemji
The terminology in play here may be a bit confusing. You can have multiple phones paired to your car's Bluetooth, however you may only have one phone connected to the car's Bluetooth at any given time. I have this situation occasionally (the modern equivalent to "hand me the AUX cord") and I usually wind up manually changing which device is currently connected to the car using the car's Bluetooth menu.

I normally keep an old spare phone, with my latest music playlist on it, in my Model S, as my main music source. Will this cause trouble with the M3’s phone as fob system?

No.

You can "pair" multiple phones with the car, similar to how you can BT-pair multiple phones to most other cars these days.
Then, you can pick which one is actively connected via BT to your Model 3. That would be the phone that will be used for music streaming and phone calls.

Tesla, like most other OEMs, supports only one active BT connection to the car at a time.
So if your old spare phone doesn't have a SIM in it, you will be able to stream music, but wont be able to make or receive calls via the car until you change the "active pairing" via the BT symbol at the top-right-hand corner of the screen.

HTH,
a

P.S.: Even without a SIM, your old phone can be used a Model 3 key as long as you have Tesla app installed, and Bluetooth is turned ON.

The original question was about the key system interfering with the BT system. As I answered, they have nothing to do with each other and it wasn’t about two BT. It was having two keys.

The word ‘pair’ in the title may be confusing but the topic isn’t Bluetooth. (At least not in the OP).

I normally keep an old spare phone, with my latest music playlist on it, in my Model S, as my main music source. Will this cause trouble with the M3’s phone as fob system?
I think there is some confusion about exactly what you are asking. But what I think you mean is, if you pair your “old spare phone” to your Model 3 to use as a music source, will you still be able to use your primary phone to open the car door? If so, I think the answer is “Yes”.

However, if you have your “old” phone in your Model 3 and are playing music through the car with it, if someone calls you on your primary phone you won’t be able to answer that phone through the car.

I think there is some confusion about exactly what you are asking. But what I think you mean is, if you pair your “old spare phone” to your Model 3 to use as a music source, will you still be able to use your primary phone to open the car door? If so, I think the answer is “Yes”.

However, if you have your “old” phone in your Model 3 and are playing music through the car with it, if someone calls you on your primary phone you won’t be able to answer that phone through the car.
Right. BT for sound is only one connection at a time.

your old phone is likely not configured as a key for Model 3, correct? then you're good. Even if it was, if you just keep the app on your Model S instead of the 3, that phone will never work as a key for the 3.

This thread came up on a search, is the following possible?
Wife and I both have phones (of course who doesn't) paired to the car. When we both get in the car I would like the car to automatically "connect" to whoever is driving (active profile). The other person can make or take calls on their phone handset. Or is the selection of phone that connects static? Obviously when it's just one of us driving we want that phone to connect.

So, you both can have profiles. Each profile has a particular cell phone associated with it. One of the profiles can be the "Priority" profile. In theory, if both you and the spouse show up at the same time, the Priority profile gets enabled. If the spouse shows up and you're not present, then it goes for the profile associated with spouse's phone. If you then show up, later, it'll stay on the spouse's phone.

Further, suppose that it's the spouse's car. You both get in, but you're in the driver's seat. You get folded in two because the car saw the spouse and enabled her profile. Hit the button at the top of the screen and select your profile and, in theory, both the seat unfolds and your phone gets selected.

As @davewill states, though, the algorithms sometimes get a bit confused. In addition to the question of which phone is the key (and therefore selects the correct profile, one hopes), there's the independent issue of the bluetooth profile, which determines if, for example, a phone rings, whether said phone uses the car's hands-free system or the phone itself rings. That also matters for the purpose of streaming music, the address book, and who to ring when one hits the right scroll wheel and states, "dial so-and-so".

Which phone is active for bluetooth connectivity (not key) purposes usually follows the profile, but not always. On trips, with both of us present, we have learned to check the Bluetooth settings and make sure that the correct phone (usually, the driver's) is the active phone for calls and the like.

However, there's always snivveys. Suppose that one is in the car as the driver, the correct profile is set and all, but one's spouse has just gotten a call on the spouse's telephone. One would dearly like to join the conversation. In which case, hit the controls buttons, bottom left: The bluetooth icon will appear on the top right; tap the bluetooth icon, then select the phone whose conversation one would like to horn in upon. The car will connect and the call will come through the speakers and all, without hanging up the on-going phone call.

This thread came up on a search, is the following possible?
Wife and I both have phones (of course who doesn't) paired to the car. When we both get in the car I would like the car to automatically "connect" to whoever is driving (active profile). The other person can make or take calls on their phone handset. Or is the selection of phone that connects static? Obviously when it's just one of us driving we want that phone to connect.
You can manually switch BT phone/audio connections. You have to hit the BT icon, disconnect one phone and then connect the other one. When my wife goes into a shop, and I wait in the car. I will have to disconnect her phone and connect mine so I could play music from my phone. If she is far enough away, the car may auto switch to my phone. But if she is only about 70 feet away in the shop, it won't auto switch even if her BT signal is very weak.

So, you both can have profiles. Each profile has a particular cell phone associated with it. One of the profiles can be the "Priority" profile. In theory, if both you and the spouse show up at the same time, the Priority profile gets enabled. If the spouse shows up and you're not present, then it goes for the profile associated with spouse's phone. If you then show up, later, it'll stay on the spouse's phone.

Further, suppose that it's the spouse's car. You both get in, but you're in the driver's seat. You get folded in two because the car saw the spouse and enabled her profile. Hit the button at the top of the screen and select your profile and, in theory, both the seat unfolds and your phone gets selected.

As @davewill states, though, the algorithms sometimes get a bit confused. In addition to the question of which phone is the key (and therefore selects the correct profile, one hopes), there's the independent issue of the bluetooth profile, which determines if, for example, a phone rings, whether said phone uses the car's hands-free system or the phone itself rings. That also matters for the purpose of streaming music, the address book, and who to ring when one hits the right scroll wheel and states, "dial so-and-so".

Which phone is active for bluetooth connectivity (not key) purposes usually follows the profile, but not always. On trips, with both of us present, we have learned to check the Bluetooth settings and make sure that the correct phone (usually, the driver's) is the active phone for calls and the like.

However, there's always snivveys. Suppose that one is in the car as the driver, the correct profile is set and all, but one's spouse has just gotten a call on the spouse's telephone. One would dearly like to join the conversation. In which case, hit the controls buttons, bottom left: The bluetooth icon will appear on the top right; tap the bluetooth icon, then select the phone whose conversation one would like to horn in upon. The car will connect and the call will come through the speakers and all, without hanging up the on-going phone call.
Thanks for the thorough explanation. Remind me again, this is supposed to be a convenience, right? :)
Sounds like no matter what once the car decides which pair device to connect it doesn't switch unless you explicitly change it.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Remind me again, this is supposed to be a convenience, right? :)
Sounds like no matter what once the car decides which pair device to connect it doesn't switch unless you explicitly change it.
Not necessarily. I've seen it switch Bluetooth connections when I select the right profile, but I've also had it fail to do so.

Sometimes when it fails, I'll check and find that it has forgotten the "priority device" selection.

I think that my wife and I have solved the dual phone, dual car problem.

Her's is paired with her car, mine is paired with mine. It's not optimal, but it is deterministic and reliable.
Pretty much what we've done over here.

We spent a couple of years with both of us on the same Tesla account. I think it was last year when Tesla worked up to having One Driver Per Tesla Account. So, my account has my car, my email as the default user ID on my car, and permission from the SO to be the driver on her car, with her car on her account, her email as the default user ID for her car, and permission from me for her to drive my car.

That seemed to clear up most of the fun. When we go somewhere in my car and she's driving, well, if she gets in first, her user ID wins the race. If I get in first or am leading her towards the car, then sometimes it gets me, in which case she hits the Profile picture and switches it over. And vice versa on her car.

Very rarely it sometimes gets the bluetooth connection for music/phone/texting/calendar wrong, even with the above. That's more common with the 2018 M3 that's my daily driver than on the 2021 Model Y that's hers, but I suspect that's because whatever hardware/software is making the decision in the Model Y might have some hardware aimed at the driver's seat.