Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Two Phones be Paired to the Car at The Same Time

Silver Ghost

Sep 1, 2018
Austin, TX
Good question. My wife wants her phone as a key also but I was not able to figure out how to do it, so if anyone has linked 2 phones- please show how you did it.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
What? You can pair all the phones you want as keys. Up to 6? The one approaching from the left (driver’s) side is the chosen key and will run the linked (if any) profile. Bluetooth linking is totally separate. You can have the key phone linked or not linked to BT. Another if present can be linked to BT.

Not exactly sure if that answers the questions but hope it clears up some confusion? :D

For example. We have 2 phones as keys; two cards, and my GF’s phone as BT since only she usually drives the car and listens to phone media content. All phones and cards are linked to the correct driver’s profiles.

Rex Kramer

Jan 3, 2019
Southern California
The terminology in play here may be a bit confusing. You can have multiple phones paired to your car's Bluetooth, however you may only have one phone connected to the car's Bluetooth at any given time. I have this situation occasionally (the modern equivalent to "hand me the AUX cord") and I usually wind up manually changing which device is currently connected to the car using the car's Bluetooth menu.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
I normally keep an old spare phone, with my latest music playlist on it, in my Model S, as my main music source. Will this cause trouble with the M3’s phone as fob system?

No.

You can "pair" multiple phones with the car, similar to how you can BT-pair multiple phones to most other cars these days.
Then, you can pick which one is actively connected via BT to your Model 3. That would be the phone that will be used for music streaming and phone calls.

Tesla, like most other OEMs, supports only one active BT connection to the car at a time.
So if your old spare phone doesn't have a SIM in it, you will be able to stream music, but wont be able to make or receive calls via the car until you change the "active pairing" via the BT symbol at the top-right-hand corner of the screen.

HTH,
a

P.S.: Even without a SIM, your old phone can be used a Model 3 key as long as you have Tesla app installed, and Bluetooth is turned ON.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
The original question was about the key system interfering with the BT system. As I answered, they have nothing to do with each other and it wasn’t about two BT. It was having two keys.

The word ‘pair’ in the title may be confusing but the topic isn’t Bluetooth. (At least not in the OP).

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
I normally keep an old spare phone, with my latest music playlist on it, in my Model S, as my main music source. Will this cause trouble with the M3’s phone as fob system?
I think there is some confusion about exactly what you are asking. But what I think you mean is, if you pair your “old spare phone” to your Model 3 to use as a music source, will you still be able to use your primary phone to open the car door? If so, I think the answer is “Yes”.

However, if you have your “old” phone in your Model 3 and are playing music through the car with it, if someone calls you on your primary phone you won’t be able to answer that phone through the car.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
I think there is some confusion about exactly what you are asking. But what I think you mean is, if you pair your “old spare phone” to your Model 3 to use as a music source, will you still be able to use your primary phone to open the car door? If so, I think the answer is “Yes”.

However, if you have your “old” phone in your Model 3 and are playing music through the car with it, if someone calls you on your primary phone you won’t be able to answer that phone through the car.
Right. BT for sound is only one connection at a time.

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA

your old phone is likely not configured as a key for Model 3, correct? then you're good. Even if it was, if you just keep the app on your Model S instead of the 3, that phone will never work as a key for the 3.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC