Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Ultra High Fidelity be added after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It Might depend about Where/when the mistake happend. Was it ordered With or without ?
If it Was ordered without I belive the wireing is missing and therefor complicate things.
If it Was ordered With and the mistake happened at some point in the assambly Line, then there is hope that Your car has the nessesary wires. Maybe They just forgot to put in the applifyer or maybe it is only the bit in the software that enables the sub that is missing.

It could be a matter of a simple software error or worst case They need new wires to loudspeekers and upgrade some of Them in the back/hatch.

My Own car had the ultra hifi and the right side of the trunk was equiped With the sub, While the left Was for the chargecable and stuff Like that. I belive Cars without hifi have room in both sides. You May check Your car to see if it actually have the sub or not.

It was Tesla's mistake - I ordered and paid for the Untra High Fidelity Sound. This is my second MS, my first also had Ultra High Fidelity Sound. There is a specific channel on SiriusXM that I want to have, and I want the better sound quality also. If aftermarket would work through the display (change XM channels, etc.), I would consider it. Still waiting to hear back from Tesla about the options.

I recall hearing that Tesla had done some retrofits, at a high price. I think it involved swapping the touch screen computer. But I'm pretty sure Tesla will do the retrofit at no cost for you. There's no ambiguity here in Telsa's obligation to give you what you paid for, and Tesla is generally pretty good about taking care of customers.

It was Tesla's mistake - I ordered and paid for the Untra High Fidelity Sound. This is my second MS, my first also had Ultra High Fidelity Sound. There is a specific channel on SiriusXM that I want to have, and I want the better sound quality also. If aftermarket would work through the display (change XM channels, etc.), I would consider it. Still waiting to hear back from Tesla about the options.

Tesla seems to have a pretty solid history of making situations like this right for people. If the wiring is in place, I think a service center could replace the necessary bits in a few hours. If it isn't, then it'll be harder - but Tesla still might do it for you.
Walter

People keep talking about Reus Audio but I don't see how that could be accessible to 95% of people.

It is true that Reus is based in Orange County, CA...But if a few people are interested in getting systems in a particular location, they will ship the hardware and Cliff will fly in and do the installations. The number of people would just split his travel expenses...He has done this a few times around the country...So I would say the Reus system is available to most US customers under those circumstances...

What about the local car stereo store that does this for other cars? We have a couple of those around here. All they do is custom stereo installations for cars.

This is another "it depends" issue. You have to trust that they will be able to work on the Model S without messing it up (visions of the audio installer who drilled into the Prius traction battery to attach the speaker come to mind). Then they have to be familiar with the existing setup up so they can install a system that actually enhances the sound. Reus has a proven track record. All too often audio installers just add a big subwoofer and amp to increase bass rather than actually delivering clean sound. The kids they sell to, which is the majority of their business, don't know any better. I'm not saying there aren't any others that will do a proper job, but you'll likely be their first Tesla customer.

All too often audio installers just add a big subwoofer and amp to increase bass rather than actually delivering clean sound. The kids they sell to, which is the majority of their business, don't know any better.

In defense of the local mobile audio shop, they sell big subs and amps to kids because--as you say--that's what the kids want (and can afford). But pretty much any shop that's been around for a while has at least someone (like the owner or manager/lead) that actually knows what they're talking about, and those people very likely to help you directly as its good marketing for the shop to upgrade luxury cars--especially something as unique as a Tesla. For the same reason they're also less likely to put that kid on the job that's going to drill through your battery...

At the risk of getting all 2008 on everyone, Yelp is a helpful resource in weeding out bad local audio shops.