Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we all please agree not to call the Model X a minivan. Pleeease?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like that The Model X is being called a minivan, it a CUV. Elon musk never said is a minivan or an SUV. It's the same size as many other CUVs so that's what it is. I'd say it's a direct competitor the the Audi Q7 (Which Elon Musk used as a comparison) or a BMW X6 (as others on this forum have compared it to; And I agree)

I'm not paying $60k+ for something to be called a minivan. I'm a 6'7" dude. The word minivan makes me cringe. :eek:LOL

Ok, gripe over.

And yes, yes.. I know Tesla says they had women In mind when they created the Model X but "In mind" is not "100% made for". I think the Model X is pretty cool looking for & both men and women.

Your Thoughts???

Last edited:
It's not a minivan, it's definitely a crossover. If it had sliding doors then I'd call it a minivan.

These are minivans:
side-minivan.jpg

29582434-623x389.jpg

They said the same about the cayenne and the panamera.

Indeed, and those are two of the reasons I will never buy a Porsche again (the Macan looks like #3). The 911 was/is nice, but not so nice it can put up with a complete and utter dilution of the brand promise. It doesn't help that both the Cayenne and Panamera are friggin' ugly (have you seen a Panamera from the rear? Woof! Not in a good way!!)

Ok, that, and the Roadster is so much more kick-ass.

To be honest, I've always considered their cars to look like little frogs, so looks has NEVER been a draw to the brand for me. So with that gone, there's performance right? Cayenne Turbo S can run with a performance model x and the panamera is amazing as well.

Couldn't get past the looks, so they stayed on the lot, but what else could you want from the brand? Still ugly, still fast ;)

Can we call it a "station-van"?

1437316392_c560773a3d.jpg

It looks like a Model S crossed with a station wagon to me.

No offense, it is a good looking car, but it just reminds me of the station wagon my mother had when I was growing up

Last edited:
I just wish they'd lighten up on all the 'easy to deal with car seats' discussion. Mine will be filled with dogs and mountain bikes and snow gear and and and. Hopefully they'll be promoting a wider usage. Yes, okay, I get it. It was designed with women in mind. But not all women are dealing with car seats (and quite a few dads are).

Time to just promote a great multipurpose vehicle, Tesla.

But not all women are dealing with car seats (and quite a few dads are).

Yessiree! I'm the resident expert on all matters car seats, latch anchors etc. in my household! Thanks for the shout-out, Bonnie!

Time to just promote a great multipurpose vehicle, Tesla.

Yeah, well, I think that'd be good in general but, I think the X's penetration will definitely mostly be for hauling kids and/or pets around town, atleast in suburban US. Unlikely that a whole lot of folks will take it up into the mountains hauling ski/bike gear or to the rivers/lakes/seas with kayaks, etc. - the EV charging infrastructure or lack thereof, particularly in such 'adventure sport' destinations or en route, would be a big problem (such places will surely lag behind EVSE deployments along major highways and high-traffic urban corridors); and, I'm assuming that all the suggestions thus far will preclude the falcon doors from being a problem for ski racks and such...

I don't care what everyone else calls it. I just care about how I see it.

For those that are searching for a new vehicle and the X is something that would appeal to them (unbeknownst to them at the time they begin searching), I can't really see that mentality typing "minivan" into Google. lol They'll be searching crossover (ahem - CUV :) ), or, yes, SUV, or electric, etc.