Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we create a website for owners to request features and offer suggestions and upvote them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far as I know, Twitter is the only place where something exists but very inefficient and ineffective in my opinion. As a customer to 'Facebook Portal device', they have a dedicated website where owners can request for feature updates and all other owners can upvote them. I see so many improvements on this product through software updates. Tesla does this too, but there are certain things customers are unhappy about but the voices are not really heard as it's shattered in multiple platforms. When there is a collective effort in a single space, I think it's hard for Tesla to ignore them. Top upvoted features may get priority attention in upcoming software updates. As owners and people who are well educated about the car, we can be very realistic about what's possible and what is not. So, I believe our voices can be heard even better.....

So far as I know, Twitter is the only place where something exists but very inefficient and ineffective in my opinion. As a customer to 'Facebook Portal device', they have a dedicated website where owners can request for feature updates and all other owners can upvote them. I see so many improvements on this product through software updates. Tesla does this too, but there are certain things customers are unhappy about but the voices are not really heard as it's shattered in multiple platforms. When there is a collective effort in a single space, I think it's hard for Tesla to ignore them. Top upvoted features may get priority attention in upcoming software updates. As owners and people who are well educated about the car, we can be very realistic about what's possible and what is not. So, I believe our voices can be heard even better.....

You can create whatever you want, but that isnt going to make tesla do or not do anything. The closure of their own forums shows very clearly that they are not interested in that kind of direct feedback.

I dont think any one website is going to influence tesla to do anything (not even a large one like this one). Its going to be more of a collective "the internet" type thing. I know for a fact that tesla has people who monitor social media, but if you think the creation of any specific site is going to be given any more weight than other sites, I doubt that is going to happen.

I know for a fact that tesla has people who monitor social media,

I should say that, I know this for a fact because I have personally interacted with someone, from tesla, while performing moderation duties here at TMC. I am certainly not going to answer "about what" so dont bother asking (anyone reading this), I only mention it because I said "I know for a fact...." what my source for that is.

I'm guessing 'return the passenger's lumbar support' would be #1, based on the angst about that feature removal. ;)

Reactions: socal_my
Thanks a lot for the comments.
1. I agree that Tesla may not care about this at all. But, it's worth trying. And, if there is some media coverage and owners cross shopping for competitors (in next years when alternatives are available), I believe Tesla may rethink about this. but yea, so long as demand is high, Tesla may not care at all. That's not a good place for owners who like the car for many things, but hate certain things which can be easily fixed by software update...We want to work together to make the voices heard at some point in future, if not now
2. I like the MoreTesla.com website. I need to explore more about it. But, more importantly, the website should be the only place where all owners join together as the voices should not get scattered in multiple platforms
EDIT: Forgot to mention about Tesla Ideas website. That looks impressive too. Thanks for sharing.
3. Yea I hear the disappointment on removing the passenger lumbar. In my previous car during the entire 2 year lease my wife never used the lumbar support. But, we both had back pain last month after lifting a large cabinet. I told her about the lumbar support and she was thankful for the feature. It was stupid that Tesla removed it assuming nobody uses it.
4. At present, my biggest concern is not having a proper charging scheduler. It's connected with a departure time which I don't have since I am working from home. There should have been a simple charge start/stop settings without any preconditioning. It's simple with some if/else statement in the code for a software update. It's common sense...

My vehicle charges at 3am with scheduled charging with no issues, and I dont use departure scheduling at all. I have a model 3, but the scheduled charging is all the same.

There also will never (ever) be "this is the only place where all owners join together as voices to not get scattered across multiple platforums". The internet doesnt work that way, and hasnt for a long time.

Last edited:
4. At present, my biggest concern is not having a proper charging scheduler. It's connected with a departure time which I don't have since I am working from home. There should have been a simple charge start/stop settings without any preconditioning. It's simple with some if/else statement in the code for a software update. It's common sense...
I'm confused. I set the 'start charging' time for my car at 10:30 pm to get off peak rates and it's always done by 6:00 am. Yes, there is no 'end time' setting but if you're using at least L2 charging, and only charging to 80%, you should be able to complete by the morning...

Give OptiWatt a look for charging scheduling

I'm confused. I set the 'start charging' time for my car at 10:30 pm to get off peak rates and it's always done by 6:00 am. Yes, there is no 'end time' setting but if you're using at least L2 charging, and only charging to 80%, you should be able to complete by the morning...
Since 110V is my only option (condo), I need to keep charging almost all the time. But, I have to avoid 4pm-9pm. So, I need control over 'end time'.

Thanks. This is worth a try. I am on a 110V outlet, So, I should be charging all the time mostly except for 4pm-9pm. 60 cents per kWh is insane. So, I have to avoid it at all costs. Tesla scheduler doesn't seem to have such an option.

Ahh I get it now. I dont think tesla offers that type of flexibility for charging, correct.

Thanks. This is worth a try. I am on a 110V outlet, So, I should be charging all the time mostly except for 4pm-9pm. 60 cents per kWh is insane. So, I have to avoid it at all costs. Tesla scheduler doesn't seem to have such an option.
I use OptiWatt in conjunction with TOU plan that has off peak rate between midnight and 3pm. Once you set up OptiWatt with your energy provider it is all automatic. Unless you want to set your own schedules for road trip or commuting.

Now when I need to charge, I just plug it around late afternoon/early evening and OptiWatt will only start the charging after midnight and stops before 3pm

I use OptiWatt in conjunction with TOU plan that has off peak rate between midnight and 3pm. Once you set up OptiWatt with your energy provider it is all automatic. Unless you want to set your own schedules for road trip or commuting.

Now when I need to charge, I just plug it around late afternoon/early evening and OptiWatt will only start the charging after midnight and stops before 3pm
I see. For my case, there are multiple time windows with different rates. 4pm-9pm is the on peak. There is an off peak rate that's between 9pm and 12am. And super off peak from 12 am to 6am. Again off peak rate from 6 am to 4pm. Based on Optiwatt, if I choose 'Cheapest', I guess it will only charge during 12 am to 6am which is super off peak? I want it to include all time except 4pm -9pm. If I choose the convenience option, it will aim for reaching set SoC no matter I plug during peak time as well right? Or, is there a way to override the off peak time schedule ourselves? If so, I can simply say 4p-9p is peak and any other time is super off peak.

I see. For my case, there are multiple time windows with different rates. 4pm-9pm is the on peak. There is an off peak rate that's between 9pm and 12am. And super off peak from 12 am to 6am. Again off peak rate from 6 am to 4pm. Based on Optiwatt, if I choose 'Cheapest', I guess it will only charge during 12 am to 6am which is super off peak? I want it to include all time except 4pm -9pm. If I choose the convenience option, it will aim for reaching set SoC no matter I plug during peak time as well right? Or, is there a way to override the off peak time schedule ourselves? If so, I can simply say 4p-9p is peak and any other time is super off peak.
Don’t think you can do it the way to describe. You should contact the developer of OptiWatt and describe your use case.

Ah I see. I guess you could just set the scheduled departure for, say, 3:30 pm so it won't charge during peak hours, then manually start charging after 9:00 pm. But it would be nice if they had a stop-start time that would override the battery charge-to setting. I use TezLab for data but I don't think they offer anything like that.