TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Swissmoneychf, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

That's something from other "luxury" car manufacturer that I am always jealous, really helpful in some parking situations or just to save our beautiful rims.

So what do you think ? Can we expect it "soon" with a software update ?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  2. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I think you can expect to get dropped at the door and have the car park itself? Tesla says you don't need bird's eye. The argument that other manufacturers have better tech then Tesla is over. Lol

• Like x 3
  3. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

No chance for me that the car would park itself in my 2cm left / 2cm right margin maneuver parking.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So far Tesla has said nothing about the likelihood of drivers being provided with a 360 video view.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Right. And we're all well aware of how often the ultrasonics fail to detect curbs and other low items. I'd have to see a huge a mount of improvement before I'd let my (potentially) $150k car drive itself off unattended and into a curb or thin post that the sensors can't detect. And what if it chooses a bad spot and gets damaged by someone else?

No thanks. I can park it myself and walk.

• Like x 5
  6. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

This is one of the most missed things coming from other capable vehicles. The 360/top down view is AWESOME for any and all parking situations, especially in the front. I don't trust the parking sensors to see a low curb, honestly, so my parking is not optimal in the Tesla. It's a big car, and a top down/360 camera really would help those of us who like to park very specifically to avoid dings, sticking out, etc.

That and AC seats (f you Tesla for announcing it 2 weeks after I took delivery) are by far the 2 biggest things I miss from other cars.

• Like x 3
  7. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

The "lowly" Chevy Bolt will offer the birdseye view camera. ;)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  8. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I agree on the desire for both items, but (see bolded part above) do you really expect/want Tesla to stop improving the cars?

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Same here. No way I'd trust automatic parking in my garage.

Looks like no front bumper camera to support birds eye.

That's a bummer. Wanted birds eye more than AP.

• Like x 1
  10. RFernatt

RFernatt Member

I was in a MS recently and asked the rep about a 360 camera view like my Nissan Rogue (one of my favorite features). The response was that it didn't need it since it could park itself. Ironically, when we returned from a drive, he had to manually park it since the car was between a curb and another MS and he said that the auto parking wouldn't work in that situation. I agree that the birdseye view is a super handy feature and there is no reason not to have it when you have cameras mounted around the car with AP2.0.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  11. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

No. But I would love them to take the feedback they get from customers like me and implement a more effective trade-in system to accommodate customers who always want the latest car. Many will gladly fork down dough if they simplify the process. They should revolutionize that element of car buying/ownership the same way they have revolutionized other elements. Not applicable for everyone, just my 2c.

Crazy if birds eye isnt included in this effort, makes zero sense.

• Like x 3
  12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I'm curious. For those of us with tight garages, could we get out the masking tape and white paint to put lines down?

Looks like new system has a chance of using the cameras for parking space identification...

13. HookBill

HookBill Member

I'm in total agreement on this one. So many are speculating that it will not be made available when Tesla hasn't even released anything yet as to what features will be available. Complainers should complain if and when Tesla finally makes public that this feature will not be part of the package.

14. adwang

adwang Member

with 8 cameras in HW2 configuration, you'd think stitching a composite birds eye view is not difficult software job... Tesla should hire few summer interns for the project.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Deans

Deans Member

I would settle for a front camera view to compliment the rear camera.

• Like x 3
  16. Phoenixhawk101

Working in this exact industry I can tell you that it isn't that easy. The cameras on HW2 aren't in the right direction to capture that portion of the data. At least not without a massively distorted fisheye from what you would want to see. A computer doesn't care how fisheyed or warped an image is as long as it's calibrated for it, but the image from the cameras would make your go cross eyed.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

The missing camera is the one at front bumper level, and there's no useful 360 video view without that. And we know the parking sensors look over low curbs, so I don't see a 360 model being constructed with those to make up for the lack of that camera. I learned the value of the parking senors a week into my shiny new Model S when I gouged the bottom of my front bumper fairing while parking. I ignore them unless I have a wall in front of me, and I generally park two feet back from low curbs.

• Like x 1
  18. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

I am notorious for rashing up my wheels so I had alloy gators installed on my MS when I was getting it wrapped and coated. Totally blends in with the tires and gives me a great deal of piece of mind
    AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage

19. HarborX

HarborX Member

Which color did you get? Tire color or Rim color which one would do you think would look better?

20. whitex

whitex Active Member

You mean luxury cars like Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Rogue? ;)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1