Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's something from other "luxury" car manufacturer that I am always jealous, really helpful in some parking situations or just to save our beautiful rims.
So what do you think ? Can we expect it "soon" with a software update ?
So far Tesla has said nothing about the likelihood of drivers being provided with a 360 video view.

No chance for me that the car would park itself in my 2cm left / 2cm right margin maneuver parking.
Right. And we're all well aware of how often the ultrasonics fail to detect curbs and other low items. I'd have to see a huge a mount of improvement before I'd let my (potentially) $150k car drive itself off unattended and into a curb or thin post that the sensors can't detect. And what if it chooses a bad spot and gets damaged by someone else?

No thanks. I can park it myself and walk.

This is one of the most missed things coming from other capable vehicles. The 360/top down view is AWESOME for any and all parking situations, especially in the front. I don't trust the parking sensors to see a low curb, honestly, so my parking is not optimal in the Tesla. It's a big car, and a top down/360 camera really would help those of us who like to park very specifically to avoid dings, sticking out, etc.

That and AC seats (f you Tesla for announcing it 2 weeks after I took delivery) are by far the 2 biggest things I miss from other cars.

This is one of the most missed things coming from other capable vehicles. The 360/top down view is AWESOME for any and all parking situations, especially in the front. I don't trust the parking sensors to see a low curb, honestly, so my parking is not optimal in the Tesla. It's a big car, and a top down/360 camera really would help those of us who like to park very specifically to avoid dings, sticking out, etc.

That and AC seats (f you Tesla for announcing it 2 weeks after I took delivery) are by far the 2 biggest things I miss from other cars.
I agree on the desire for both items, but (see bolded part above) do you really expect/want Tesla to stop improving the cars?

I was in a MS recently and asked the rep about a 360 camera view like my Nissan Rogue (one of my favorite features). The response was that it didn't need it since it could park itself. Ironically, when we returned from a drive, he had to manually park it since the car was between a curb and another MS and he said that the auto parking wouldn't work in that situation. I agree that the birdseye view is a super handy feature and there is no reason not to have it when you have cameras mounted around the car with AP2.0.

I agree on the desire for both items, but (see bolded part above) do you really expect/want Tesla to stop improving the cars?

No. But I would love them to take the feedback they get from customers like me and implement a more effective trade-in system to accommodate customers who always want the latest car. Many will gladly fork down dough if they simplify the process. They should revolutionize that element of car buying/ownership the same way they have revolutionized other elements. Not applicable for everyone, just my 2c.

Crazy if birds eye isnt included in this effort, makes zero sense.

So far Tesla has said nothing about the likelihood of drivers being provided with a 360 video view.
I'm in total agreement on this one. So many are speculating that it will not be made available when Tesla hasn't even released anything yet as to what features will be available. Complainers should complain if and when Tesla finally makes public that this feature will not be part of the package.

with 8 cameras in HW2 configuration, you'd think stitching a composite birds eye view is not difficult software job... Tesla should hire few summer interns for the project.

Working in this exact industry I can tell you that it isn't that easy. The cameras on HW2 aren't in the right direction to capture that portion of the data. At least not without a massively distorted fisheye from what you would want to see. A computer doesn't care how fisheyed or warped an image is as long as it's calibrated for it, but the image from the cameras would make your go cross eyed.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen and GSP
with 8 cameras in HW2 configuration, you'd think stitching a composite birds eye view is not difficult software job... Tesla should hire few summer interns for the project.

The missing camera is the one at front bumper level, and there's no useful 360 video view without that. And we know the parking sensors look over low curbs, so I don't see a 360 model being constructed with those to make up for the lack of that camera. I learned the value of the parking senors a week into my shiny new Model S when I gouged the bottom of my front bumper fairing while parking. I ignore them unless I have a wall in front of me, and I generally park two feet back from low curbs.

Reactions: TrevTremaine