Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@whitex -- Obviously we disagree and I can appreciate your point. The problem is that their language has always said "as long as it's on private property" or similar words, so pulling out of the garage onto a street and then going to the curb was not something they ever said orally or in writing. I agree that the graphic sure makes it look that way.

I still stand by the fact that (to the best of my knowledge) Tesla has delivered what was promised contractually on ordering documents which are all that have legal standing. Even Elon's tendency for hyperbole is not grounds for a lawsuit citing "non-delivery of a contractually promised capability" as has been discussed in multiple threads in these forums. It is certainly clear to me that Tesla creates very high expectations with their publicity and marketing efforts/demonstrations and creates an environment where people will be disappointed. I absolutely would not argue against that because I think that's true. Where i have a problem is when people state Tesla failed to deliver what was promised because I think they pretty much have and (from a legal perspective) have in fact done so. Now AP2.0/EAP/FSD are another issue entirely...but we're talking about your statements WRT AP1.0 promises.

Applying the same logic, with all the fine print now on the AP2 page, if AP2 doesn't do anything by year 2030, they will still "legally" be covered since they didn't commit to any dates whatsoever (except for Dec'16 but they never commuted exactly what will be ready, so they covered themselves with the limited release they put out).

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
Play the video again. He talks about the systems components and what it can do. He then talks about some blue sky things (such as meet you at the curb) he hopes it will be able to do in the future.
I just watched the video again. He first introduced the 4 components of Autopilot (front radar, front camera, 360º ultrasonics, GPS), then talks about the things it can do (using words like "it can", "it will", "you will be able to" for all of the below, which gave me the impression that the system he just introduced should be able to do all these things with future software/firmware updates, not some future hardware iteration). Below are all direct quotes (slightly edited to remove stuttering/filler words):

• "The final element is integrating that with real time navigation, so basically the GPS system and real time traffic." — no real time traffic integration in Australia.
  • "We're able to do lane keeping on freeways, automatic cruise control, active emergency braking…" — done.
  • "It'll self-park, so it'll do automatic parallel parking…" — done.
  • "In fact, when you get home, you'll actually be able to just step out of the car and have it park itself into the garage. It'll open the door, and it'll go in and park itself." — no HomeLink or double-press-park-button summon in Australia.
  • "You'll be able to summon the car, if you're on private property, you have to be on private property. You can actually summon the car and the car will come to wherever you are. It'll use the ultrasonic sensors, kind of like an insect antenna, because it can detect even small soft objects with the ultrasonics, and it'll slowly make its way to you and then stop and be ready to go." — nope, can only summon in a straight line.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Bird's eye view was the reason I bought the wife a QX60. With her parking in the garage next to my MS, I wanted to make sure she had all the tools available to park without hitting mine. lol

I really wish all cars came with it though, it's such a handy feature.

while backing up my X and hitting the parking sign on top left, I am presented with a view which shows me the car and the data from the sensors.. But the UI is very empty, it makes me feel that tesla has plans to. show the parking lines and walls at some point in the future. The cameras should be able to detect the lanes and walls to build a point cloud of the area around the vehicle.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just took delivery of a new Toyota RAV4 for my wife. It has the 360 view. The side cameras are installed inside the two side mirrors on the bottom. This feature is really nice. The other day we back in parked at paved lot that did not have back bumpers, the pavement ended directly to grass. There was nothing there for a sensor to go off on. The 360 view, in color, clearly showed the end of the pavement and start of the grass. Very nice feature!

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
while backing up my X and hitting the parking sign on top left, I am presented with a view which shows me the car and the data from the sensors.. But the UI is very empty, it makes me feel that tesla has plans to. show the parking lines and walls at some point in the future. The cameras should be able to detect the lanes and walls to build a point cloud of the area around the vehicle.
Exactly what I was thinking. I assumed this was a new feature that hadn't been fully implemented yet. How long has this feature been present in it's current state?

@wbhokie -- problem is the front view. The cameras that produce the "front of the car view" in those displays are on the front bumper or grill. In the case of a Tesla, the only forward looking cameras are on the B-pillars and on the top of the front windshield next to the rear-view mirror. As a result, the cameras have a blind spot extending several feet below the front of the hood...which is exactly where you would want that front camera to display for parking purposes. So there is no software fix to enable the display you and the OP are talking about...it would require installation of at least one additional camera somewhere on the nosecone (and likely two given how the current systems work).

True. I also thought I read somewhere that some of the other cameras weren't meant for "viewing" and didn't use normal color output like the rear camera does. I don't remember where I read that though.