Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we now expect a 360° "birdview" parking camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. I also thought I read somewhere that some of the other cameras weren't meant for "viewing" and didn't use normal color output like the rear camera does. I don't remember where I read that though.
Correct. The autopilot cameras are optimized for video analytics, which is based on contrast. As a result, they are black and white cameras but the front cameras are also reported to be able to detect red (presumably to key in on red stop lights and brake lights). They are most definitely NOT regular color (or even black and white) cameras optimized for human viewing but rather to make it easier for the video analytics software to distinguish things...

A black and white image is better than no image when parking.

It still wouldn't help you with the front bumper because there is no camera coverage there (the only forward cameras are at the top of the windshield and can't see below the hood...

If you are talking about the cameras on the sides in AP2 systems, those could conceivably be used to show the sides but I'm not sure what their exact coverage is and if they are using fisheye lenses (which the video analytics can correct for but the human eye has difficulty with) to maximize their coverage for the AP2 system.

Either way, a 360 degree top down view as other car manufacturers have implemented is not possible with the present hardware because of the camera locations and resulting close-in blind spots.

It still wouldn't help you with the front bumper because there is no camera coverage there (the only forward cameras are at the top of the windshield and can't see below the hood...
Yeah that's probably true. But then again, since the front camera is mounted higher than eye level, it's still marginally better than my own eyes.

If you are talking about the cameras on the sides in AP2 systems, those could conceivably be used to show the sides but I'm not sure what their exact coverage is and if they are using fisheye lenses (which the video analytics can correct for but the human eye has difficulty with) to maximize their coverage for the AP2 system.
The same correction can be applied to the video before being displayed. Existing 360° systems also apply corrections to make the top-down view look nicer.

Either way, a 360 degree top down view as other car manufacturers have implemented is not possible with the present hardware because of the camera locations and resulting close-in blind spots.
It probably won't look as nice, since the cameras aren't specifically pointed downwards for this purpose, but I reckon it still might be better than nothing.

I enjoy companies that ignore their user feedback! And that is why i like Apple and Tesla, they tend to ignore user requests :)
There is a saying: "If Ford asked ppl what they wanted, they would say faster horses." and we would never have a car!

If Tesla says we dont need a bird eye view, it is because we dont, there will be a better thing coming soon (autopark)!

I enjoy companies that ignore their user feedback! And that is why i like Apple and Tesla, they tend to ignore user requests :)
There is a saying: "If Ford asked ppl what they wanted, they would say faster horses." and we would never have a car!

If Tesla says we dont need a bird eye view, it is because we dont, there will be a better thing coming soon (autopark)!

Hopefully Tesla's product won't go the way of Apple's, whose major recent innovations are removing 3.5mm headphone jack, adding a dual camera to an outdated bezel design, and a "stickers, stickers, stickers" app. Apple's market share has been dropping despite the big Samsung Galaxy battery fiasco.
PhonesMarketShare.png

Source article: IDC: Smartphone Vendor Market Share

Wow, what a great idea to ignore owner feature requests. What a great way to run a company. Let me know when you start a successful one. By the way, Apple is very receptive to user feedback and feature requests. You don't seem to know much about Apple.

Wow, what a great idea to ignore owner feature requests. What a great way to run a company. Let me know when you start a successful one. By the way, Apple is very receptive to user feedback and feature requests. You don't seem to know much about Apple.
So, are you saying that the majority of users asked apple to remove the headphone jack and move to a proprietary connector instead?

So, are you saying that the majority of users asked apple to remove the headphone jack and move to a proprietary connector instead?
Let me start by saying I despise Apple as a company. I use a Macbook Pro only because I want BSD and MS Office at the same time. I had an iPhone (3G and 4) for awhile but the typing experience was heinous and is still the worst (my wife has a 6S - I cringe every time I pick the thing up).

However, I do work for in the tech industry. Sometimes responding to a user's requests results in a product design they weren't anticipating. For example, users were asking for a thinner phone. The 3.5mm headphone jack is big. Same for USB-C vs Lightning. Also, people asked for the phone to be less susceptible to water damage. There could have been others. At some point someone decided that removing the headphone jack would solve some of these other requests that they have. Of course the fact that they can make a bundle selling new wireless ear buds was just icing on the cake.

On that note I have to include this one: