Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can We Rename the Kilowatt-Hour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Even electrical engineers and energy journalists misuse kW and kWh, it's time to create a new unit of measure for the kilowatt-hour. A direct 1:1 conversion, simply a different name so people don't get so confused and can visualize units of energy within conversations on topics like net metering.

Some options so far(in order of personal preference):

"Lumps"
"Dollops"
"Globs"
"Shneckins"
"Elons"
"FECs" (F$%^ing Electrical Chunks)

Thoughts on other potential names?

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Kilowatt hour - Wikipedia

[...]

The Board of Trade unit (BOTU) is an obsolete UK synonym for kilowatt hour. The term derives from the name of the Board of Trade which regulated the electricity industry until 1942 when the Ministry of Power took over.

[...]

In India, the kilowatt hour is often simply called a Unit of energy. A million units, designated MU, is a gigawatt hour and a BU (billion units) is a terawatt hour.​

I know !!

How about 3.6 M"joule" ?

I gather the Aussies chose that unit but I presume they bitch and moan if they have to calculate a power.

E.g.
My car took in 4 MJ in 30 minutes.
What is the average power ?

Compared to:
My car took in 1.1 kWh in 30 minutes.
What is the average power ?

---
The fault lies with the babylonians. The sooner time is changed to base 10 the sooner more of use will be able to deal with energy and power. Circles are a lost cause.

Last edited:
I definitely agree that a more distinct unit for kW or kWh would be helpful. 1 Gallon of Gasoline is ~45HP-h but I'm pretty sure that no one in the history of horses has ever used 'Gallons' when they meant 'HP' or vice versa... mixing power and energy with kW and kWh seems to happen ~90% of the time....

By pure chance you'd think people would get it right more often :(

You can usually infer whether it's kW or kWh by context but that's not as easy with storage. If someone says a home has a 5kW battery system..... is that 5kW with 10kWh of batteries or 5kW with 5kWh of batteries or....

A kWh is easy - ten old fashioned 100 watt light bulbs on for an hour. Or the { toaster | hairdryer | toaster oven | shop vac | etc. } on for about an hour.
Well, ok, but a kWh sounds like a whole lot more energy when using the "Peggy Bundy" definition of the vibrator being on all night every night for a year :eek:
I'm still trying to figure out if the OP is serious or making humor :)