Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we request software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know a way to fetch a software update? My car has been at 2017.42 for a long time. I don't yet have the Chill Mode or Easy Entry features and would like to try both, but I don't know of a way to force the car to look for a software update.

Does anyone know a way to fetch a software update? My car has been at 2017.42 for a long time. I don't yet have the Chill Mode or Easy Entry features and would like to try both, but I don't know of a way to force the car to look for a software update.
If you have a reason to take it in for service then they can do it. Not sure if you can go for service for only that reason. If you do, please let us know.

Hey Joe, make sure your car is attached to wifi is the best suggestion I have heard, or ask your friendly Tesla ranger to stage the update.

Ranger staged update after replacing right headlamp yesterday. Assumed it was the bad .50 update. Got home after receiving update on phone. Opened car. No update. So I would think it got pulled from me. Ranger Ricky had left.(Yes I am sure he gets jokes about it) So....1329 miles to FL with no Chill. I think I can live. After all I want to be warm. Still on .42 Service in Palm Beach later this week.

"Long time" can only be 6 weeks, since .42 came out in the 42nd week of 2017, and .50 came out in the 50th week.

I suppose that if people are perceiving 6 weeks as a long time to go with no software update, that could be a good sign of persistent progress that Tesla has planted in our minds.

You're correct, and I'm a little embarrassed. Yeah, it hasn't actually been "a long time" I suppose. Although in my defense I recall the gap between my previous two updates took a few months.

Hey Joe, make sure your car is attached to wifi is the best suggestion I have heard, or ask your friendly Tesla ranger to stage the update.

Thanks for the tip, Ken! I'm not sure why, but my car was NOT connected to wifi when I went out and looked tonight. I rejoined my home wifi and wonder if that's all it takes. Maybe tomorrow I'll find an update pending. And by the way, when we reply to a post some of the forum code is displayed in the reply including the quoted member's unique number. Yours happens to be 44444, which is pretty cool.

Reactions: preilly44
During Hurricane Harvey, we parked our S 100D in a multi-story garage - no WiFi - no charging, for about a week.

After not receiving updates for a while, I called Tesla support, and they found the car had failed installing one of the updates, and that the servers would not attempt any more downloads until the car had been taken into service.

Since the car was unattended, we never saw any messages about this issue - and if we hadn't called, we wouldn't have known there was a problem.

So, if you're concerned you're missing updates - call Tesla and have them review the logs for your car to verify you aren't having problems with updates.

Tesla really needs to fix this situation, and provide more information and control to customers on the update process. As the number of Tesla owners increases significantly next year with the Model 3 - there will be many more customers asking "where's my update?".

Changes Tesla should make in the process:
  • Provide customers a notification (via e-mail or the smartphone app) of when a new update is available
  • Provide the release notes, prior to installing the update, including documenting what specifically has changed in the release (bug fixes) and any major problems that are known and not yet addressed (like nVidia and others do with their software releases)
  • Allow customers to initiate the download from their cars or smartphone app (or MyTesla account)
  • Provide the ability to "rollback" the update to the last major, stable, release - if there are any problems
While many S & X owners have been very patient with Tesla on software updates and missing features, not clear Model 3 owners will be as understanding...

If you are willing to go to a service center for a firmware update, give them a phone call requesting it In my own desperation, I went to two different service centers, where I was accommodated without an appointment. I just had to wait while they pushed it into my car.
I agree there needs to be a better mechanism for updates, especially with a growing customer base. good luck.

Reactions: Xenius
You're correct, and I'm a little embarrassed. Yeah, it hasn't actually been "a long time" I suppose. Although in my defense I recall the gap between my previous two updates took a few months.

Another trick is pull up to a SC and connect to their WIFI for 30 min or so. I've gotten update notices almost every time one was available that i didn't have and i pulled up to service.

Reactions: mkhalasi85
Another trick is pull up to a SC and connect to their WIFI for 30 min or so. I've gotten update notices almost every time one was available that i didn't have and i pulled up to service.

That trick used to work, but as of around the time of software version 8.0, there actually needs to be an open work order with the service department for that to trigger a download.

Bruce.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
So I hadn't received an update on over two months so I sent an email to the Tesla Service email address and requested that they push the latest update. The next day I had the notification that an update was waiting. I can't confirm that the request generated the push, but the service folks might be able to help.

The entry profile is very cool!

So I hadn't received an update on over two months so I sent an email to the Tesla Service email address and requested that they push the latest update. The next day I had the notification that an update was waiting. I can't confirm that the request generated the push, but the service folks might be able to help.

The entry profile is very cool!

Same here— I emailed service and had an update waiting two days later. What’s weird is my 2017.50.2 has the Christmas sleigh thing and easy entry but not Chill Mode. Does anyone else have a P85 pre-autopilot car with Chill Mode? I wonder if it’s not compatible with my car.

I just want to thank you all for sharing your information. I'm in this thread because my car's having serious trouble charging below 0F (battery cools, charging stops) and if I want to keep driving, I need the latest update which will warm the battery to charge in cold weather, but I'm still at 2017.42. Now I have several things to try. I love the TMC!

Reactions: CalBlue 85D