Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we set Creep for reverse, Hold for Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather just let it roll in Reverse, but I agree with the basic request of letting Hold be applied only in Drive/forward! I love Hold most of the time but not so much in Reverse.

If the throttle map wasn't so overly sensitive, and the backup camera wasn't so laggy & dropping frames, that would also improve reversing without needing slushbox-style creep (which I deeply dislike).

Seriously the backup camera on my 2021 Model 3 is much worse than on my 2013 Model S which has no detectable lag or frame drops.

That is a great idea, brings much better control when reversing which is always at a snails pace for me. I have had auto hold on my previous vehicle for 6 years and loved it but the bug bear has always been reverse. Tesla should be able to give us the option via software.

Well, given we can tell from V11 that they don't care about human factors or safe, consistent user interfaces, I am afraid you are right, this seems right up their alley.
Go easy on Tesla. They probably hired the ex-Google UI people who spent years ruining their web UIs with gray-on-gray-on-white. Google seems to be slowly righting that ship, Tesla will grow out of that fad too...in a few years...

(Yes the lack of contrast is not the only issue with V11. I just felt like picking on that aspect. I'll say that as a new TM3 owner just before V11 was released, the previous UI felt messy and inconsistent/arbitrary in many ways. It was in need of improvement. I'm not sure that V11 was the improvement it needed though...)

I'm not sure that V11 was the improvement it needed though...)
Hiding seat heaters, defrost, air pressure, garage door openers, seat profiles, wifi, and navigation volume deep in menus while you can bring up video games in one click was not what the UI needed.
The old grayscale buttons that only used color to indicate state are way better than the mess they have now.

I'll say that as a new TM3 owner just before V11 was released, the previous UI felt messy and inconsistent/arbitrary in many ways. It was in need of improvement. I'm not sure that V11 was the improvement it needed though...

Some aspects were improvements, such as configurability of what is on the bottom bar. Other aspects were worse, such as moving some controls out of the bottom bar and not having them be options to be put on the bottom bar (e.g. heated seats).

Some aspects were improvements, such as configurability of what is on the bottom bar.
I do not consider configurability to be a benefit when it literally takes away the ability to put the bar back to the way it was. That is not real configurability, it's the illusion of configurability so that people will go "oh how cool, I can customize this!".

"Hey, look how cool this keyboard is, you can re-arrange all of the keys any way you want, as long as you don't want vowels at all."

It's even worse because in order to give it "configurability" they reduced it to 4 buttons, with two non-configurable, dynamic buttons based on what you did a week ago, the exact opposite of what you want in a moving car.

Reactions: father_of_6
I'm not big on this idea of changing the pedals on reverse. It seems dangerous... only a matter of time until someone gets confused and unintended acceleration happens.

The accelerator is so sensitive that it provides great control going forward or reverse... or even full speed reverse, a peel-out 180, then flooring it to 88mph.

Last edited: