Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we talk about rattles & noises, and them not being covered under warranty?

Have you had any weird noises / rattles / clattering since owning your M3?

• Yes

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update for those of you still following. Tesla had my car for 6 days before saying it was ready. I picked it up with black prints on the hood and a very dirty center armrest console, not to mention the bird droppings on the windshield.. but these things I can ignore cause I finally got my car back and it should be fixed so I'm happy.

They did handle the wheel well rattle, but the dash vibrations came right back after a day of driving. Now I can also hear the passenger side wheel well in what sounds like an exact copy of my original problem except its on the other side now. I'm also noticing what sounds like something shaking from the backseat area.

I'm not going to wait another month for an appt then another 6 days of them having the car. I guess I'll have to handle these myself.

For a 50k car this isn't cool. But it is what it is.

That sucks. Exactly why I will not take it in or try have it fixed, as chances are they'll just screw something else up.

Tim

That sucks. Exactly why I will not take it in or try have it fixed, as chances are they'll just screw something else up.

Tim

Thanks, yeah i'll only make future appointments if something bigger is broken.

So i'll take care of the passenger side wheel well, and the dash rattle(s), myself. I called the service center hoping for some advice but they didn't get back to me, yet.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have a rather annoying (and loud) rattle in my six weeks old MY that sometimes comes one when I drive on rough surfaces. I will book an appointment... hope it will be fixed. It seems to be coming from the driver side door. Has anyone experienced the same?

Might it be coming from the A pillar area? Does the window make any clicking noises when rolling up/down? My 3 has that, I think the rubber window trim at the A pillar triangle is too stiff and in the right conditions I get a similar sound. Mine’s on the passenger side making It hard to confirm but I’m pretty sure that is what it is

I'm currently chasing down an intermittent rattle in my passenger-side B-pillar, I suspect it is the seatbelt height adjustment mechanism. I've already addressed rattles from both front fender liners and missing clips on an interior trim piece.

Mine was tight as a drum for about the first 1500miles, after which the rattles began showing themselves. As others have stated; it is a cheap car with an expensive battery and powertrain. I'm learning to accept this as part of M3 ownership.

Reactions: doomsday997
Might it be coming from the A pillar area? Does the window make any clicking noises when rolling up/down? My 3 has that, I think the rubber window trim at the A pillar triangle is too stiff and in the right conditions I get a similar sound. Mine’s on the passenger side making It hard to confirm but I’m pretty sure that is what it is

Pretty sure I have this. I thought it was a rock hitting the windshield the first time I heard it... but it's happened multiple times now. Is it a sharp plastic cracking sound that seems to come from the front most part of the front passenger window?

Pretty sure I have this. I thought it was a rock hitting the windshield the first time I heard it... but it's happened multiple times now. Is it a sharp plastic cracking sound that seems to come from the front most part of the front passenger window?
Yep that’s the one for me. I read some people were treating their rubber trim with gummi pflege for this issue; I tried on mine and it didn’t help, but it’s hard to get into that space and I didn’t try very hard. I’ll give it another try soon. I only heard the rattle noise on one trip in fairly hot weather, otherwise it’s only the cracking sound when operating the side window

Possible... since it only comes on when I drive on rough pavement, I didn't have many chances to look for the source. I will try to check on my next drive.

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my Model 3 AWD about a month ago. Currently sits at about 700 miles. It's an amazing, futuristic car (hands down best I've ever owned) and I wouldn't trade it in for anything (except maybe to get a red performance M3 instead of a white AWD LOL).

However, I want to discuss my biggest concern since having this car. That would be the rattles. I have two of them that are currently present:

One from the driver's side dash - which I temporarily fixed by putting a piece of foam between the dash & windshield. Otherwise, it sounds like flapping. My fix is an eyesore.
One from, as I've been told by Reddit, is the driver's side wheel well - I hear a rattling noise at highway speeds, the faster I go the worse it gets. I thought it was my driver's side pillar.

The warranty explicitly states that rattles and shakes are NOT covered, but I'm hearing from multiple members that it's hit or miss as to whether or not the service center charges you. I scheduled a service appointment about one or two weeks after picking up the car, 200 or 300 miles, and my appointment is finally coming around near the end of this week.

Honestly, for a $50k car (the most expensive car I ever bought), I think that verbiage is downright unacceptable. I previously had a new $39k Chevrolet (3yr / 36k) and a new $32k Hyundai (5yr / 60k), they both were rock solid but even if they rattled or made noise, it was covered under the bumper to bumper. I've already had to call Tesla service out once for a big piece of adhesive stuck near the door, and for the hood being visibly misaligned. They fixed it with ease and it was a pleasant experience. I also now have a piece of trim on the driver's side door coming off, which is my part of my next appointment, but I digress lol.

Tesla is my dream car and I'm finally living with one. But I really want to start a discussion as to why Tesla is on & off about covering rattles, and officially, they don't cover rattles at all. In fact, why does this rattle even exist in the first place? Hasn't the car been around since 2017 - 2018? You'd think if it was so common, they'd had done something about it by now.

I don't want this post to sound like I'm taking a shot at Tesla. I love my Model 3, and the brand as a whole. My car is just going through more service appointments than I'm used to.
I had a dash rattle in my 2021 M3 SR+ (got it December 2020). I've had it in THREE TIMES. Each of those were covered under warranty. The rattle has returned after each of those 3 visits where they "fixed" it. I've wedged a piece of weather stripping between the dashboard and front speaker grill cover. It has lessened the rattle, but I'm probably going to have to do what this guy did to fix his similar rattle:

I had a dash rattle in my 2021 M3 SR+ (got it December 2020). I've had it in THREE TIMES. Each of those were covered under warranty. The rattle has returned after each of those 3 visits where they "fixed" it. I've wedged a piece of weather stripping between the dashboard and front speaker grill cover. It has lessened the rattle, but I'm probably going to have to do what this guy did to fix his similar rattle:

Right I saw that video too. Its too bad tesla can't literally do that themselves.