Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we teach the car correct pronunciations for contacts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new voice-to-text message feature can’t seem to find most of my contacts. It misspells the name on the screen when I say it and then tells me “Contact not found”. It seems to only be able to find very basic traditionally spelled names, like John or Pat.

it works much better when making a phone call than sending a text, which seems odd, but the phone option has been around longer and seems to be able to find phonetic matches for names.

For example, I have a contact named “Coleton”. If I say “Send a text message to Coleton” the screen displays “Send a text message to Colton” and then says “Contact not found”. However, if I say “Call Coleton” it finds the correct contact and makes the call.

Has anyone figured out a way to “teach” it alternate pronunciations or spellings? I tried entering phonetic and pronunciation spellings into the contact in my iPhone, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have no experience so no definite tips since it's probably the voice to text not acting reliable.

I would suggest changing the persons name to something like "Coleton {last name}" to see if it will auto correct based on last name. Else just change their name to "Colton" in the phone for more reliable results.

Adding last name doesn't help, it spells that wrong too when I say it. Having to misspell all of my contacts seems a little silly. I guess I'll just have to wait for Tesla to fix this. Not sure how they got it working for phone calls, but not texts. Maybe I'll submit a bug report.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Three years later and I’m still having this issue in my Model 3. I try to text message “Rachael“, but the car always thinks it is “Rachel” and so refuses to call or text her with her properly spelled name. The only workaround is to intentionally misspell her name in my phone contact list which is really dumb. I think it’s unacceptable that a car this advanced can’t handle this scenario. I tried using a pronunciation and phonetic name of “Rachel“ in my iPhone contact list in the off chance that Tesla were smart enough to self-correct the pronunciation from that, but it didn’t help.

Did you find a place to submit a bug report?

I added a contact with my wife's name misspelled so the "call" command can work. Haven't tried sending a text message by voice. It's strange that "call" and "text" don't look up contacts the same way.

Release 2022.44.25 adds the ability to search contacts by typing into a text field. Maybe there's a voice command for that, if we can guess it.

Reactions: PianoAl
My daughter's name starts with a C, but that name is usually spelled starting with an S.

I can spell out her name letter by letter to get my Model 3 to recognize her name for a text or phone call, but if I say her name as part of a dictated text, it spells her name starting with an S. :(