Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we update or report inaccurate speed limits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping to use the speed limit chimes to help me stay within the limits on every day driving but sadly in my area they seem to be wrong on the Tesla database. Is there a way to update them? or report inaccurate parts of the map?
Can we get the model 3 to use Google Maps which is far more up to date?

Thanks

Can we get the model 3 to use Google Maps which is far more up to date?

Pretty sure Tesla is much more focused on using the camera in the car to know the speed limit than paying Google a license fee for their database. Should be any day now that they can read signs accurately, I hear it's in the next update in two weeks.

The car has been reading road signs for a pretty long while already. I can see mine read them very well every day. Note that this feature is probably country-specific and maybe it's not in the UK yet?
It's areas where there are no road signs for a while that the car relies on the database. When that database is wrong it can be painful.

The car has been reading road signs for a pretty long while already.
Have to be careful with absolute statements with Tesla.
AP1 read speed limit signs back in 2014.
Then AP2 in 2016 could not read them (and still can't I believe)
Then AP2.5 in 2017. Still can't read.
Then AP3 in 2019. It started reading them in late 2020.

So, it's quite feasible to have a Tesla that does not read signs.

Fair enough. We're in a model 3 forum so AP1 and 2 don't apply. AP2.5 does, but the bulk of owners I would think are on AP3. Still, you are correct, not everyone's car can do it. Also, since it's country specific (each country has different signs), it doesn't work everywhere.

but the bulk of owners I would think are on AP3.
Yep, the bulk are, but those 150K of us with AP2.5? We're a canary in the coal mine on how Tesla will treat AP3 owners when it comes time to HW upgrades.

Remember, Tesla has advertised since 2016 that all cars have all HW needed for FSD, yet my car can't read a speed limit sign and Tesla wants $1000 to upgrade it, even though they don't charge for that feature on AP3 cars and it's clearly needed for FSD. We already know AP4 is in development....

Reactions: hcw0818
Yep, the bulk are, but those 150K of us with AP2.5? We're a canary in the coal mine on how Tesla will treat AP3 owners when it comes time to HW upgrades.

Remember, Tesla has advertised since 2016 that all cars have all HW needed for FSD

Yes, and if you own FSD you get a free computer upgrade and it'll read signs.

Not the first time you've had this pointed out to you.

Yes, and if you own FSD you get a free computer upgrade and it'll read signs.
Yet reading speed limit signs is not a FSD feature, and in fact was described as being part of the car in the owners manual from 2016-present. But Tesla still wants to charge me to get it, despite saying it was there when I bought the car and it's the way the car works now.

Not the first time this has been pointed out to you either. Nice to see you again.

Reactions: hcw0818
Yet reading speed limit signs is not a FSD feature

Nor one you were promised when you bought your HW2.5 car.

So still unclear what your actual problem is here.

, and in fact was described as being part of the car in the owners manual from 2016-present. But Tesla still wants to charge me to get it, despite saying it was there when I bought the car and it's the way the car works now.

Not the first time this has been pointed out to you either. Nice to see you again.

I think it IS the first time.

Extra weird since in 2016 the Model 3 didn't exist, so it's impossible for the owners manual to have said anything at the time.

On the contrary, to my knowledge the first time they even SUGGESTED this feature would exist in the Model 3 manual was after HW3 already existed in 2019.

There was even a thread about this fact at the time-

That's from mid-2019. Just AFTER the HW3 rollout.

And points out a NEW thing is:
Mention of speed assist being able to read speed limit signs (pg 94)

But by all means if you have a copy from pre-HW3 claiming this for the Model 3- let's see it.

because otherwise you appear to be posting.... less than factual claims... again.

Last edited:
We've seen our Teslas read speed limit signs since that update was released in 2020 but they still have problems on major highways in the Denver metro area which were previously (or are currently) under construction. While the speed limit signs all say 65 mph, the car will drop to 45 mph when passing nearly every exit along C470 between Santa Fe and I-25. They are also unable to determine the proper speed along I-70 where the road has recently shifted. Sometimes the speed limit will drop from 55 mph to 25 mph as the car thinks it is on one of the cross streets and not on I-70.

This has happened for years on all the Teslas we've owned and continues to happen on our 2017 Model S100D, our 2021 Model S Plaid and a 2018 Model 3, all of which have AP3/FSD hardware.

Nor one you were promised when you bought your HW2.5 car.

Go read the 2017 manual for a Model X. It specifically says it uses cameras to read speed limit signs:
If Model X is equipped with Autopilot components (see About Driver Assistance on page 72), the forward looking camera detects speed limit signs. The signs are then analyzed and compared against GPS data to determine the speed limit at your current driving location. For routes where no signs are present, speed limits are determined using GPS data (if available). Instead of determining the speed limit based on signs and GPS data, you ca

But by all means if you have a copy from pre-HW3 claiming this for the Model 3- let's see it.
This line exists in both the 2018 manual for the Model X and Model 3. That clearly indicates it reads signs directly:
In situations where Speed Assist is unable to determine a speed limit (for example, speed limit signs and GPS data are not available at the current location), or if Speed Assist is uncertain that an acquired speed limit is accurate (for example, although a speed limit sign was initially detected, some time has passed before a subsequent sign has been detected),

Anyway, I'll be done here. We've been through this before. I'm a literalist, and when Tesla says "Tesla cars come standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Autopilot features, and full self-driving capabilities" I hold them to it- the car should be capable even if I didn't buy the feature yet, and clearly reading speed limit signs is a feature required for FSD, yet HW2.5 cannot do it. The car was advertised as FSD capable with the hardware on the car, and any reasonable person can see that sign reading is a fundamental part of self driving, so the very advertisement of FSD capable means it can read signs. Now that Tesla has released sign reading for free to all HW3 owners, HW2.5 cars have a deficiency directly tied to the missing FSD HW capability, and Tesla should resolve that without charge to the customer, particularly given the cars are still under warranty.

You're an apologist, saying that if I just go and actually buy the "FSD" feature, I'll get it, even though they need to upgrade HW to do it, and that they never promised me more than that. In my view, you pick and choose some statements from Tesla and ignore others, but I am sure you see that differently. Our positions are clear, and we're not going to change one another's minds, no matter how much we repeat the things we have said before, or how pedantic we get about being in a Model 3 form while discussing what Tesla advertised on Model S/X and then advertised that the Model 3 has the same capabilities.

All this very much reminds me of how the Theranos/Elizabeth Holmes trial is going. The defense keeps trying to blame the investors for not doing due diligence and believing what Holmes told them, and the judge keeps reminding them that insufficient due diligence on the victim's end is not a defense against purposefully misleading someone. We'll see what the jury thinks soon, closing arguments are today.

Last edited:
Go read the 2017 manual for a Model X. It specifically says it uses cameras to read speed limit signs:

That manual is from late 2016 and clearly discussing HW1....made clearer by mentioning the SINGLE front camera, when HW2+ has 3 front cams.

Made clearer still by looking at page 76... where it shows AP1 hardware explicitly.

So you're just being dishonest here presenting an AP1 manual in discussion of AP2 capabilities.

This line exists in both the 2018 manual for the Model X and Model 3. That clearly indicates it reads signs directly:

Meanwhile, if you actually read the 3 manual you link to you find this:

Page 79 on how speed assist works said:
the touchscreen displays a speed limit as determined by GPS data.

Period.

It does mention speed limit "signs" not being available at the current GPS location- but that'd be for displaying one on your screen you can tap to use the assist feature. It makes no mention whatsoever of reading signs with the cameras.

That does not appear until the mid-2019 revision I cited.

Further down the page it ALSO lists this:
Page 79 said:
Limitations and inaccuracies

And lists the cases where the speed limit may be wrong- again ONLY citing a lack of GPS data, or outdated data.

NO mention of cameras doing anything.

So again your claims are unsupported by even your own sources.

Anyway, I'll be done here.

You already were :)

Every time you get caught with inaccurate facts you claim you're "done" then come back later and repeat em some more. It's odd.

We've been through this before.

Yes, which makes your continuing to insist on factually untrue things so remarkable.

I'm a literalist

Apparently not, since the manual literally does not support any of your claims

Last edited: