TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Can we use 50A 125/250V California Standard plugs for Tesla charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ulmo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ulmo

Ulmo Member

Jan 19, 2016
    San Jose, California
    I see construction electrical spider boxes with single phase 125-250VAC split three wire + ground systems, and they are connected with 50AMP cables and sockets. Here are some web pages showing the connectors:

CS6364N - Marinco - Actuant Electrical - Twist Lock Plugs | Galco Industrial Electronics

Excerpt: "Connector, 50A, 125/250V, 3-Pole, 4-Wire, California Standard"

California Standard Pro-Grip Plug & Connector 50A, 125/250V/AC Non-NEMA 3-Pole/4-Wire - CS6365EX, CS6364EX

Excerpt: "California Standard Pro-Grip Plug & Connector 50A, 125/250V/AC Non-NEMA 3-Pole/4-Wire"

Hubbell 50A Twist-Lock Receptacles (California Standard)

Excerpt: "Hubbell 50A Twist-Lock® Receptacles (CA Style)"

Hubbell 50A Twist-Lock Plugs and Connectors | California Style, CA Standard 50 Amp Locking Plug

Excerpt: "California 50A Twist-Lock® Plugs and Connectors"

They make Y's, spider boxes, and cords. Here's a cord:

Milspec Industries, Inc. - 6/3-8/1 STW (600V) Temporary Power Extension Cords with CGMâ„¢

and a spider box:

Spider Box - Temporary Power Box

Typically, I see more standardized boxes that aren't frankenstein types like the above, but these give you an idea. Hubbel is a more standard supplier, I think, but I haven't thoroughly investigated.

I'm wondering: can a Tesla cord be made to plug into the output side of one of those spider boxes and then into the Tesla? I'm thinking of building a box that has a receptacle for a standard 50Amp California Standard temporary cord, a meter to measure how much energy is taken, and a HPWC, with rubber on the outside, all to fit in the trunk or frunk, and then destination charge whenever I'm near one of those connectors. I could use the meter measurement to reimburse the people I get power from. I would negotiate every time I get near one of those boxes with the owners of that electricity before plugging in and follow the agreed upon terms. I could set usage parameters inside the car in terms of max draw.

I would be careful only to source power from grid-connected sources; many of those temporary power cords actually connect up to diesel gensets like MQ Power.
  2. green1

green1 Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Many people have made adapters to all sorts of things, this would be no problem, get a short chunk of high current wire, put a male connector for this type of outlet on one end, a nema 14-50 receptacle on the other end, plug in your UMC, charge.
  3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    San Diego
    • Informative x 1
  4. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Houston, TX
    • Informative x 1