TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you buy "parts" for a Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cab, Aug 4, 2016.

1. cab

cab Member

As far as I know, individuals like us can't buy parts for our Teslas over the counter from the service center - is that still correct?

To be clear, I'm not talking about accessories, but stuff like a control arm, strut, brake rotors, interior trim piece, door handle, a fender, etc.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

That depends, a LOT. you can buy many parts, but they do have certain specific ones that they refuse to sell to anyone. From your list, I think they'd likely sell most of it, but I gather they won't sell a fender.

Basically until someone takes them to court and forces them to allow 3rd party shops to do repairs (as they legally have to) this won't change.

3. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@cab,

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Ski

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Ebay or salvage yard is your best bet I believe.

5. taurusking

taurusking Member

As far as I can tell my service center was willing to let me buy nose cone with chrome rim around it.

I also have purchased Front crash bar...so in other words yes they sell parts but depends on what kind of parts you want.

6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

So, what parts can't you buy?
    Has anyone tried to buy some part and been told that they can't buy it?

7. green1

green1 Active Member

Many people have been refused body panels, also electronic components, Tesla has a list of "restricted" parts that they refuse to sell, the list is not public.

8. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

the mcu is restricted so is the main battery and chargers. I listed some of the items in my flooded thread