Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you charge a Tesla MY with a Mitsubishi PHEV Home Charger?

sgalla04

Mar 24, 2021
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Just curious to know if there is any reason a Tesla MY could not charge at 8/12 amps on a Mitsubishi PHEV Home Charger? I should have tested it with the demo car the other day, but I forgot.

I was thinking if they don't want the home charger upon trade-in for whatever reason, then I might just keep it as a backup level 1 charger for the MY. This way I can throw it in the trunk as a backup mobile connector vs. buying a 2nd Tesla one. I intent to use the included Tesla mobile connector with a 14-30 adapter in my garage (wiring was already there, otherwise I would have went with 14-50). And disconnect it for the occasional round-trip.

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
Looks like a standard J1772 so should be ok. Did it come included with the car? Then I would think it should be part of the trade in. If not, then of course it's yours to keep.

Charging at 120V/12A is pretty slow, on the other hand when you're on the road a 120V outlet might be all you can find.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC