Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you charge at a Supercharger to get a "full" tank?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i need to stop at a supercharger and get a full trip tank of 250miles. how long would this take on an empty range tesla? in other words how long would it take to charge up to 250 miles? i thought i read somewhere that the first 30 minutes are the fastest in a SC, and then it tapers off? i know the superchargers are about 90 miles for each hour charge?

i need to stop at a supercharger and get a full trip tank of 250miles. how long would this take on an empty range tesla? in other words how long would it take to charge up to 250 miles? i thought i read somewhere that the first 30 minutes are the fastest in a SC, and then it tapers off? i know the superchargers are about 90 miles for each hour charge?
Probably 75-90 minutes. That move from 99% to 100% seems to take forever, so if you're willing to leave with 98% or so, definitely think within 75 minutes.

The Superchargers are _way_ faster than 90mph, even trying to do a range charge.

See the graph at Supercharger | Tesla Motors.

My experience is 75 minutes from nearly completely empty to full.

This. I rolled in this morning with 10 miles left and it wanted 45 minutes to get to 90%. Previously, it has taken an additional 30 minutes to go from 90% -> 100%. That would put me right at 75 minutes.

Personally, I only needed a 50 mile boost. The 5 minutes to use the grocery store's restroom was enough to get me going.

The Superchargers are _way_ faster than 90mph, even trying to do a range charge.

See the graph at Supercharger | Tesla Motors.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/G6ILQpq.png
G6ILQpq.png

I drive from Boulder to Pagosa often. The fastest way to do this is to do a 99% charge at the Silverthorne and then head on south to Pagosa. I know that there is a 70A J1772 in Salida at Wood's High Mountain Distillery and that at 98-99% SoC, the Supercharger charge rate has tapered to the charge rate on the 70A J1772. That happens when the Supercharger has tapered to about 35 Amps.

Like lots of Tesla numbers the 75 minutes to 100% is optimistic. Most times, it's more like 80-90 minutes to get to 99-100%.

Have fun!

It takes me about an hour to do a range charge (without end balancing, which can add a lot more time), but I rarely start all that close to zero. A typical reason to range charge is going to Austin from the Waco SC and back without charging in Austin.

Like lots of Tesla numbers the 75 minutes to 100% is optimistic. Most times, it's more like 80-90 minutes to get to 99-100%.

I basically do this once a week for a long sprint I have coming from north jersey to the finger lakes and I charge usually from 20-30 miles to 100% and that takes at least an hour and a half. That 75min number from 0-100% is BS. (and I have a B pack and it does charge around 115KW when it starts).

(LMB spouse)

Also, the 75-90 minute number assumes a warm battery. We supercharged at Newark, DE with a 20 degree F battery at 10% and it took about 1:45 to full. Charge rate was less than 15 kilowatts for the first 15 minutes or so, then gradually increased to about 60 kW at about the point where it would have tapered to 60 kW anyway. This was back in the day; the next SC north was in Milford, CT, about 200 miles away.

As a data point, it took me 80 minutes to go from a rated tame of 30 miles (12%) to 248 miles (100%) on a trip I took to NYC last month. I charged to 100% to make sure I'd have enough to get around the city and back to southern CT to supercharger the next day.