Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you charge other EV using your portable Tesla UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about this, but since I live in the US our Tesla cords are different here so I cannot try it out myself. I understand the Tesla mobile connector comes with a Type 2 connector just about everywhere except for North America, so it should be usable for charging other electric vehicles that are not Tesla. Has anyone tried it? Are you able to charge other EVs using your portable cord that came with your Tesla vehicle?

Moderator comment - post may reference terms, sources and products not applicable to UK and Ireland region

I do. I use a TeslaTap style device that converts Tesla UMC>SAE J1772. It works on all EVs I've tested.

Your Tesla DOES NOT COME with a TeslaTap. You can find them online, There are more than one mfr now.

Here's one brand: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lectron-...GHlZOAJSjXuRiUjx_STAm7j5KMlRrN7UaAsxOEALw_wcB

Another: Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40 Amp & 250-Volt Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (Black)-TeslaJ1772BlkUSA - The Home Depot

And others. Pricey but a nice tool to have in your bonnet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do. I use a TeslaTap style device that converts Tesla UMC>SAE J1772. It works on all EVs I've tested.

Your Tesla DOES NOT COME with a TeslaTap. You can find them online, There are more than one mfr now.

And others. Pricey but a nice tool to have in your bonnet.

If you have a Tesla, why would you want one of those in your bonnet? I thought they were only for people with non-Tesla EV's. Given that, why would anyone think a Tesla would come with charging equipment to charge other brands?

Moderator comment - post may reference terms, sources and products not applicable to UK and Ireland region

You might have the case where you have a tesla for longer distance travel and a 2nd car for spouse, kid, whatever that was cheaper and shorter range (think off lease Leaf/Golf/Focus). I use J1772 adapter as I had a plug in hybrid previously. I could easily see going the other way with the Jesla adapter or whatever if you owned a Tesla first. Anyway, adapters to and from J1772 and Tesla are very easy to make.

I know about the Tesla to J1772 adapters. My question was directed to members in other countries (not North America) where the predominant charging system is the IEC 62196 Type 2 "mennekes" connector. In North America, Tesla uses their own proprietary connector while other EVs use J1772, but in most of the rest of the world Tesla uses the same Type 2 connector as other EVs (with slight modification). So I want to know what happens if you take your portable Tesla charging cord and try to charge another EV. You'd be able to plug it in, but would it accept a charge?

Wow, a whole thread in the UK and Ireland forum consisting of, until now, only replies from non UK and Ireland members.

But in answer to the first question:
I understand the Tesla mobile connector comes with a Type 2 connector just about everywhere except for North America, so it should be usable for charging other electric vehicles that are not Tesla. Has anyone tried it? Are you able to charge other EVs using your portable cord that came with your Tesla vehicle?

I believe that some manufacturer supplied Mode 2 Type 2 charging cables (such as Tesla UMC) are not compatible with all cars and may even cause damage. I can't remember if its Tesla being used on another car or other manufacturer on a Tesla. iirc it was Tesla UMC used to charge a Renault Chloe - the latter models were a bit finicky with what would charge them so it wouldn't surprise me there was a problem with them.

I'll try and find the article/post and link it here.

[edit]
Here you go... just a quick random search so don't shoot the messenger. Can I charge my Renault Zoe with Tesla UMC? FWIW, the Gen 2 UMC, as is currently being supplied and post dates that link, is no longer 3 phase capable, at least, not in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cnixon
IIRC the Gen 1 UMC effectively charged at 32A by splitting it across 2 of the 3 phases the UMC supported (ie 16A, 16A, 0A). This isn't liked by many cars at all. Up to 16A on a UMC1 is ok as it like, well 16A on one phase.

The UMC2 is only single phase so it has to do it correctly.

The point of Type 2 (and CCS etc) is, and I suspect you know so apologies if stating the obvious, that its supposed to be a standard so lots of makes can use the same charge points interchangeably. There is a slight caveat, Tesla destination chargers which are also Type 2 can be locked to Tesla only, but this is linked to a protocol and software type lock rather than a physical connectivity.

Here you go... just a quick random search so don't shoot the messenger. Can I charge my Renault Zoe with Tesla UMC? FWIW, the Gen 2 UMC, as is currently being supplied and post dates that link, is no longer 3 phase capable, at least, not in the UK.
I wonder whether that may be one reason why Tesla has decided to forgo 3-phase capability in the Gen 2 UMC - to assure compatibility with the standard. It looks like Tesla may have considered making it 3 phase capable, as there are a couple of "empty" pins in the Gen 2 connector that look like they should have terminals inside but are missing them.

The point of Type 2 (and CCS etc) is, and I suspect you know so apologies if stating the obvious, that its supposed to be a standard so lots of makes can use the same charge points interchangeably. There is a slight caveat, Tesla destination chargers which are also Type 2 can be locked to Tesla only, but this is linked to a protocol and software type lock rather than a physical connectivity.

That's what got me thinking about the UMC. I was aware that some of the destination chargers are locked to Tesla only, while others are not - but I couldn't find info on whether the UMC is locked to Tesla only. It makes sense that it wouldn't be locked.

Seems this confirms that the 2nd Gen European version of the Tesla-supplied mobile connector can be used with other EVs. That's great news as the Tesla cord is a very versatile portable level 2 EVSE due to the snap-in adapters that automatically set the correct amperage. There are a couple of companies in the US that convert Tesla UMCs to work with other cars by replacing the Tesla connector with a J1772, so it's nice to know that people in other countries can use it for any vehicle without modification.

So I know this is an old thread, but hoped to get some clarity (as I don't understand some of the technical stuff here). I have a 2020 Model 3 and we are looking at getting an EV (Peugeot e-208) for my significant other - would the 3 pin adaptor from my Tesla charge that in an emergency?

My understanding is that the Peugeot doesn't come with a 3 pin adaptor as standard, hence the dumb question...

;)

There's a difference between the Gen 1 (older) UMC portable charge point and the Gen 2 ... you have a Gen 2 so "should be fine":

Quote from Charging – Xavelec

"Also, please be aware that the Gen1 32A blue adaptor and UMC work in a particular way that is only compatible with Tesla cars: the 32A is presented as three lots of 10.6A to each of what would otherwise be three different phases. Whilst this is fine for Tesla, you must never use the blue adaptor and UMC to charge another car equipped with a Type 2 socket – bad things can happen!!! Renault Zoë cars have been severely damaged this way. This configuration is most certainly not a standard Type 2 charging mode! The Gen2 UMC’s optional 32A adaptor should be OK as it appears to comply to the standard connectivity used in the Type 2 plug."

Reactions: spooksman
Brilliant question...

I asked this on here a while back and was told that the 'newer' UMCs *should* work - however I have seen no actual proof or comment saying it does.

We just got a Peugeot e208 which doesn't have a 3 pin adaptor included, so I'm planning to use my Tesla one, but have been too chicken to try until I read that it worked.

Let me know how it goes if you try :D

Last edited:
There's a difference between the Gen 1 (older) UMC portable charge point and the Gen 2 ... you have a Gen 2 so "should be fine":

Quote from Charging – Xavelec

"Also, please be aware that the Gen1 32A blue adaptor and UMC work in a particular way that is only compatible with Tesla cars: the 32A is presented as three lots of 10.6A to each of what would otherwise be three different phases. Whilst this is fine for Tesla, you must never use the blue adaptor and UMC to charge another car equipped with a Type 2 socket – bad things can happen!!! Renault Zoë cars have been severely damaged this way. This configuration is most certainly not a standard Type 2 charging mode! The Gen2 UMC’s optional 32A adaptor should be OK as it appears to comply to the standard connectivity used in the Type 2 plug."

The way I read that is that the problems only start if you are connecting to a 3-phase supply, using a Gen1 charger with the blue adapter?

Does it follow that a single phase supply via 3-pin plug should be ok on either version? (Gen1/Gen2)

Moderator comment - following posts merged from "UMC with non-Tesla cars"

I'm assuming that the UMC will work with all type 2-equipped cars. Anyone got any specific experience one way or another?

It's fine on any Type 2 EV. I tested it a while back when someone asked this before, and certainly the Gen 2 UMC that came with mine works fine with other EVs, and tests out normally on a charge point vehicle simulator (which just pretends to be an IEC61851 compliant car charger).