Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you check the battery charge history?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is one of the ones that is missing the charge port and it’s currently sitting at a train station. delivery date is set for 5/21 but the SC claims they aren’t certain when the repair parts will arrive.

I’m concerned that the battery will be depleted and take damage during this period and I want to be able to check that before taking delivery.

My car is one of the ones that is missing the charge port and it’s currently sitting at a train station. delivery date is set for 5/21 but the SC claims they aren’t certain when the repair parts will arrive.

I’m concerned that the battery will be depleted and take damage during this period and I want to be able to check that before taking delivery.

Not that I am aware of, no. you could check to see what the battery capacity is by following these instructions:

With that being said, I seem to remember information saying that when the battery is very new, it may not report the totality of its capacity in this manner.

If this bothers you, perhaps you should decline this vin.

Reactions: Not That M3
Any thoughts on whether or not I SHOULD be worried here?
I wouldn't be to worried. When the battery gets to low it stops recharging the 12v battery and stops powering the electronics. so you wont be getting that 1% per day phantom drain after that which should protect the pack. And if the pack goes in to a critically low level a normal charger will no longer be able to bring back the car. If a car couldn't sit on a lot for extended periods of time these cars would be getting destroyed left and right.

Just check things out on delivery if it's charging without error you should be fine.

Reactions: Not That M3

I personally would not be too worried (although TBH I would be thinking about whether I would be worried or not, lol). I was thinking about this (whether I would be worried in your situation), already.

So, Yeah I would end up accepting the car, BUT (and this is a HUGE "but") I am a big (huge actually) believer in "This is a large purchase, so do what makes you comfortable with it, within the confines of what the purchaser allows".

If "you" are uncomfortable with it, thats OK, regardless of what anyone else thinks, and if you are willing to deal with the consequences (like later delivery etc) then you should do what makes you comfortable.

Reactions: OliverM3
I ordered my car in May 2020 during COVID. This was right after the initial wave calmed down and the Fremont factory reopened after being closed for over a month. At the time of ordering, the approximate delivery date was listed as August 2020. Before COVID hit, a three month wait was typical so I figured I would be getting a new car built after the factory had reopened.

A week later, I got a text that my car was ready for pickup at the Chicago Grand Ave location (about 1.5 hours away but the nearest Tesla location). When I got there to pick up the car, they had Teslas EVERYWHERE. Every parking spot was full of new cars. The alleyways around the building were full of new cars. On the nearby streets and up on the sidewalks were parked new Teslas. Very few Tesla employees were working, my delivery was handled remotely through phone calls and signing papers in the car and dropping them through a mail slot in the building.

When looking at the window sticker provided, my car was actually built in March 2020. Obviously, when COVID hit and the country shut down, a lot of people didn't take delivery of their cars. That's why all these cars were sitting around. I have wondered what the affect has been to my car considering it was built in March and sat around somewhere until the end of May when I picked it up. Who knows if they were keeping cars charged up during that time. I would guess they were all just sitting around somewhere and no one was working to even check on them.

My car is now over two years old and I have had no issues whatsoever. The car has been perfect. I have never taken it for service for any issues. My main battery has not had any abnormal degradation, and my 12V battery still works fine. I wouldn't worry about your situation.