Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delay delivery to wait on Model Y improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model Y LR on order and the projected delivery (Nashville, TN) is between Nov 2022 to Jan 2023. Is it possible to delay delivery and wait for the new improvements in the Model Y that will hopefully come from Austin in 2023? For example front an rear casting, structural battery pack, improved 4680 cells, etc.?

We have a Model Y LR on order and the projected delivery (Nashville, TN) is between Nov 2022 to Jan 2023. Is it possible to delay delivery and wait for the new improvements in the Model Y that will hopefully come from Austin in 2023? For example front an rear casting, structural battery pack, improved 4680 cells, etc.?
If you are asking whether Tesla can force you to take delivery; of course not.

If you are asking whether you can postpone delivery indefinitely; of course not.

If you want a specific variant, place a new order when it becomes available.

If you are asking whether Tesla can force you to take delivery; of course not.

If you are asking whether you can postpone delivery indefinitely; of course not.

If you want a specific variant, place a new order when it becomes available.
Thanks, but was not really looking for "stating the obvious" answers. Was looking for anyone that has had experience with delaying delivery and what options were available or resulted in delaying delivery. Once you are contacted by Tesla with a firm date is that car set in stone or if there is a delay option is the car that was assigned to you released and when your number comes up again are you then assigned a new vehicle? Depending on how long you could delay and if you assigned a new vehicle the next time around I would assume you could end up with a different variant. Looking for anyone who may know or has had first hand experience with this. We have a 2022 M3P, but we got as a demo from Tesla with 1500 miles so this is our first time ordering and waiting. Thanks!

Reactions: ord3r
Thanks, but was not really looking for "stating the obvious" answers. Was looking for anyone that has had experience with delaying delivery and what options were available or resulted in delaying delivery. Once you are contacted by Tesla with a firm date is that car set in stone or if there is a delay option is the car that was assigned to you released and when your number comes up again are you then assigned a new vehicle? Depending on how long you could delay and if you assigned a new vehicle the next time around I would assume you could end up with a different variant. Looking for anyone who may know or has had first hand experience with this. We have a 2022 M3P, but we got as a demo from Tesla with 1500 miles so this is our first time ordering and waiting. Thanks!
The obvious answer *is* the answer. When Tesla contacts you to arrange delivery you have 3 days to pick up the car. If not, you lose your deposit and the purchase price you locked in.

In prior years you could delay for many months at a time but currently they are selling every car they can make. They aren’t going to delay a potential sale so buyers can wait for new headlights.

I've got an "old" 2021 and I'm quite happy with it. There have been many improvements (and a few deletions), but overall, the car is great. The prices of these cars generally go up as improvements are added, so you end up getting what you paid for.

If there's something you REALLY want and must have, I'd highly suggest waiting until its standard before ordering. In general, the car you get will be better than what you ordered.

No matter when you buy a Tesla, they will always have a "new and improved" variant next year. The solution is to buy the car and enjoy the ride.

The other option is you can buy a new one every year :oops:
Exactly what he says. I got mine just before the new processor (bummer) but still love the ride and experience.

They are like phones. You will have fatigue no matter when you get yours. The next release 6 months will be slightly better than the one you bought.

I asked my SA about this on Friday. Once a VIN is assigned, you can ask to delay it. They will the assign another VIN sometime after this and you can cancel one more time. But the third time you get a VIN, you have to take it or forfeit your deposit and reorder. Here’s the real problem. He told me they are ramping up production so quickly that the second VIN might be assigned within a week of refusing your first VIN. And your third VIN might get assigned quickly too.

This was from an SA, so things might change or be different in your market.

If you’re waiting for new batteries in the LR version, good luck. They may never have the new batteries. The CT will probably get all they can make. There will always be upgrades, so when you do pull the trigger, a week later it may come with FLUX capacitors. You can’t beat Tesla at their upgrade game.

The general concept here is:

o You've put a deposit down on a car with the existing features
o That gives you a place in line and the right to buy at today's price when your turn comes
o There is nothing in your reservation that supports waiting for some other version of the car you ordered
o Tesla makes changes all the time to their cars - some small, some bigger, some actually subtract things (e.g. passenger lumbar)
o When your turn in line arrives, Tesla's current policy is to allow a one-time delay of a month if you're not ready
o After the one-time delay, Tesla will expect you to either take delivery of the car you ordered or walk away

They are known for adjusting the current policy with little notice. So, while these days their answer to you could be "okay for a short delay", they might change that on that short notice. In which case, they would give your car/slot to someone else, and likely cancel your order. Probably give you your deposit back. And we've seen this happen before. Goes in cycles so to speak.

If your goal is to try and wiggle within the quirks of the (very quirky) Tesla waiting line, there are some things you can try - with no assurances at all:

1: Don't finish filling out the financing on your order - Tesla seems to prioritize and move "completed financing" orders forward in the line
2: Don't pre-order high cost options such as FSD - it seems like Tesla prioritizes such orders and they get a VIN sooner
3: If you're feeling brave, you can set up your order for the least-loved base MYLR - black on black with zero options - these seem to take forever to get a VIN, and it -has- been Tesla policy to allow reservation holders to change their color and options later in the game while still honoring the original order-time prices. Again, this seems to work best if you've not locked in financing, since the finance agreement hinges on the exact optioned price of the car and has to be re-done if you change anything.
4: Find a friendly SA who's willing to try and help extra - they are mostly powerless, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Keep in mind at all times that it's Tesla's waiting list, they operate it completely at their whim, and they can and do change their policies and handling of the list whenever they like.

All of those improvements you listed benefit the manufacturer and not the consumer.

Reactions: RevToRed
This is what happened to me.

11/2021 - I placed an order for MYLR with FSD.
12/2021 - Tesla asked me to take delivery. I delayed
3/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery . I delayed.
4/2022 - I removed FSD and the estimated delivery got pushed towards the end of the year.
7/2022 - Tesla asked me to take delivery in the beginning of August. As the 4680 battery doesnt seem to be materializing anytime soon for MYLR, I decided to take the delivery. I am getting it next week.

Hope this helps.

You can delay once (currently) but dont expect that to be flexible, because all sorts of people will be making up all sorts of excuses to not take delivery at the end of the year, if they think there is a chance of a tax credit.

We have already seen that story, it happened for 3-4 months last year and is the reason tesla put in the "you can only delay once" rule. People have also been trying to delay delay etc trying to figure out when (or even if) tesla will be building model Y P vehicles in austin, and with what tech.

if you want a specific thing from a specific plant from tesla, you will need to cancel your order until they start shipping that. Trying to time it will be an exercise in frustration (and mostly impossible), and tesla will not let you delay more than once, and they will give you an ultimatum that they will cancel your order (and you forfeit your locked in price and $250 order fee, which is not a deposit).

I could dig up quite a few threads of exactly this happening at the end of last year if you want, but those are "stating the obvious" answers because they are existing threads from people who got their orders canceled after trying to delay multiple times.