Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delay your delivery after finalizing your order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long will it take to get my car from the moment I finalize my order?

I've been holding off on finalizing my order for various reasons (waiting to see leasing options, trying to buy a house, etc.). I want to time the delivery so that the car arrives sometime in mid to late May. When do you think I should finalize my order to make that happen?

Or maybe a more important questions is... can I delay the production and/or delivery after I finalize the order?

Last edited:
How long will it take to get my car from the moment I finalize my order?

I've been holding off on finalizing my order for various reasons (waiting to see leasing options, trying to buy a house, etc.). I want to time the delivery so that the car arrives sometime in mid to late May. When do you think I should finalize my order to make that happen?

Or maybe a more important questions is... can I delay the production and/or delivery after I finalize the order?

I just got my delivery button today. I had finalized on 12/31. The current estimate is that I'll receive my car between 2/2 and 2/16, but Tesla seems willing to work with me to delay by a week or so, since I'm traveling during that time window. I'm not sure they'll hold your car for a few months, though.

Once the car is ready the contract states you have 30 days to accept delivery. I haven't seen they have any flexibility on that. And unfortunately right now it's really hard to predict when your car is going to be ready after you finalize. I finalized less than a month ago with an estimated Feb/Mar date, and even with obsessively following things on both forums I predicted a delivery sometime in March, but should get it in the first half of February. Ordering standard suspension is probably the best way to delay things, but who knows by how much.

Once the car is ready the contract states you have 30 days to accept delivery. I haven't seen they have any flexibility on that.

Any idea when this thirty day clock starts? When you get the delivery info request email? The VIN? A call from the DS? The pre-MVPA seems ambiguous on this point.

I did talk to ownership experience about utilizing this thirty day clause but they seemed to almost be unaware of it and were really trying to limit it to one week past the window.

Alexander - Are you certain that you can delay finalizing till April and still maintain your old pricing without getting hit with the $2500 increase?

I thought it had been determined that all folks reserving before 12/31 now had only a limited time to finalize after receiving notice to configure whereas previously one could continue delaying. With P 8878 you clearly reserved before 12/31. Have you checked with Tesla directly that you will not lose your price savings if you wait till April to configure?

Any idea when this thirty day clock starts? When you get the delivery info request email? The VIN? A call from the DS? The pre-MVPA seems ambiguous on this point.

I did talk to ownership experience about utilizing this thirty day clause but they seemed to almost be unaware of it and were really trying to limit it to one week past the window.

Of course Tesla wants to get the car off their hands as soon as possible, and most people want to get it as soon as possible, but the language of the MVPA seems pretty clear to me. You have 30 days from when Tesla notifies you the car is "ready for delivery." It can't be ready for delivery until it's completely finished. Now how much grief Tesla would give you for trying to use the 30 days I couldn't say.

I just got my delivery button today. I had finalized on 12/31. The current estimate is that I'll receive my car between 2/2 and 2/16, but Tesla seems willing to work with me to delay by a week or so, since I'm traveling during that time window. I'm not sure they'll hold your car for a few months, though.

Can't you choose to accept your car at the local Tesla store and then pick it up there?

- - - Updated - - -

Can't you choose to accept your car at the local Tesla store and then pick it up there?

For military currently deployed they will extend. It wasn't indefinite, but if anyone reading this thinks they might end up in that situation, talk to them.

For military currently deployed they should extend indefinitely without any price increase. It's a no brainer and the right thing to do. I have no knowledge whatsoever that they aren't doing this. It should be standard Tesla policy.

You can't delay finalizing without accepting the $2,500 price increase. I'm ok with that, in fact they already adjusted the price on my configuration.

The above posts make a good point. Have you tried calling Tesla and explaining your deployment and need to lock in your current price but delay delivery? Hopefully they can accommodate you.

A sure fire way to get your car delayed is to pick options that the factory hasn't started pumping out:
Examples:
* no air suspension
* red multicoat paint
* 40kWh battery

I am going with the red multocoat (have to finalize by 2/8) and that doesn't enter production until March, I'm expecting the car May or June (who knows though may come earlier...)

For military currently deployed they should extend indefinitely without any price increase. It's a no brainer and the right thing to do. I have no knowledge whatsoever that they aren't doing this. It should be standard Tesla policy.
Indefinitely is a bit strong.

• Customer: I'm ready to take delivery of my Model S.
  • Tesla: What's your sequence number?
  • Customer: P18765
  • Tesla: Looking that up. Hm, interesting. Let me get my supervisor.
  • Customer: Is something wrong?
  • Tesla: Probably not, but I'm a little confused by what's on my screen. One moment please.
  • Customer: (away from phone) Jenny, you might want to come over here. I'll put it on speaker phone.
  • Tesla: Hello, who am I speaking with?
  • Customer: This is Sergeant ___.
  • Tesla: I see you were on active duty abroad?
  • Customer: Yessir. Just got back this week.
  • Tesla: Thank you for your service. You reserved your Model S in 2013, correct?
  • Customer: Yessir.
  • Tesla: You realize it's now 2033, and we're building hovercars now - right?
  • Customer: Yessir.
  • Tesla: Well I'm somewhat surprised that you're still interested in the Model S and sorry to report that we no longer make that vehicle. Perhaps I can assist you in finding one used? Or perhaps interest you in switching your reservation to the Model H?
  • Jenny: (in the background) Yes!
  • Customer: It seems my wife is interested in that possibility, so let's discuss that further to see if that will work for us.

While indefinitely might be a little strong, 60 days is short. We reserved knowing we would be gone March-May. While we were hoping we'd have the vehicle at the end of May (we're down a vehicle right now), it definitely was looking like it was going to be August-November in reality. Now our deployment is looking like it will be 70-80 days (until yesterday it was just under 60, starting 2 weeks later). If the current windows hold true, we'll likely get a delivery window that basically is the first 2 weeks of our deployment, and 60 days would very possibly be before we get back. We can send in a copy of our orders that will say when we'll be back if they want proof that we won't be waiting forever... If it does get finished 65 days before we're supposed to get back, it'd be nice if they could just leave it in the factory parking lot until our orders are up, rather than having to have someone else go get it because of a difference of 10 days or less.

Realistically, this is only a temporary issue as their order-delivery time is in flux. Once it stabalizes, people will have the ability to purchase knowing how delivery will relate to the timing of their deployments.

If the current windows hold true, we'll likely get a delivery window that basically is the first 2 weeks of our deployment, and 60 days would very possibly be before we get back. We can send in a copy of our orders that will say when we'll be back if they want proof that we won't be waiting forever...

Kraken - Talk to a JAG Officer about the Service Members Relief Act (SMRA) and how it might apply to your contract with Tesla. Congress enacted the SMRA because service members like you and me were getting absolutely SCREWED every time we got deployed. I know guys that lost everything because of a deployment... their house, they're jobs, their credit... everything.

I learned all about the SMRA in 2008 through a family member of mine that happens to be a judge. It did wonders for me when I was recalled for Iraq, and I would of been in a lot of trouble if it wasn't for that law.

When I was recalled, I owned a business and was obligated to fulfill several contracts that carried penalties for failing to perform. Being deployed to a combat zone obviously put me in a situation where I couldn't fulfill my end of the deal. The SMRA forced those organizations to either suspend the contract, or dissolve it completely without penalty.

And when I say suspend, I mean that if on the day you leave you have 25 days left to pick up the car... they have to give you 25 days from the day you get back. The period you were gone cannot be taken into consideration. Legally, it has to be as if the deployment never happened and you were never gone. Does that make sense?

In your case, it would behoove Tesla to suspend the deal until you get back. The alternative is that they end up with a car that they have to sell, AND they would have to give you your deposit back.

I'm not a lawyer, but knowing the way the SMRA worked for me back in 2008, I can say with some certainty that Tesla only has two real choices here. 1) they can either suspend your contract and store your car for a few months or 2) give you your deposit back and let you go through the entire sales process again under a new contract.

Tell them about the SMRA by asking them if they are aware of it. If they give you trouble, ask for the address to their General Counsel (lawyer speak for Tesla's lawyers) then have a JAG Officer write them a letter. That did it for me.

A sure fire way to get your car delayed is to pick options that the factory hasn't started pumping out:
Examples:
* no air suspension
* red multicoat paint
* 40kWh battery

I am going with the red multocoat (have to finalize by 2/8) and that doesn't enter production until March, I'm expecting the car May or June (who knows though may come earlier...)

So far, I believe that all of the reds are scheduled for delivery between April and May. It should be quite a sight to see the factory with wall-to-wall red Model Ss. I think it would make sense that finalizing around 2/8 might push that back a bit, assuming that the finalize date trumps the original reservation date.