Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you delete apps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be an issue with parents who don’t want certain entertainment apps in the car.
I for one would like to disable or hide a bunch.
(“Deleted” or “disables” or “hidden” is an implementation detail, not relevant to me)

How is it an issue? I am trying to picture a situation where the kids are in the car, AND in a position to be able to access the touch screen and the parents (who should be in control) arent....

Im not coming up with one. Maybe you have one?

How is it an issue? I am trying to picture a situation where the kids are in the car, AND in a position to be able to access the touch screen and the parents (who should be in control) arent....

You are putting groceries in the trunk and the kid gets in and can launch apps.... I wouldn’t want a kid to launch that driving game and dry turn the wheels. Sure it doesn’t harm them much, but the point is it’s still does no matter how insignificant.

though the point of the initial question was just asking if you were able to. It’s not a huge deal. Was just curious

You are putting groceries in the trunk and the kid gets in and can launch apps.... I wouldn’t want a kid to launch that driving game and dry turn the wheels. Sure it doesn’t harm them much, but the point is it’s still does no matter how insignificant.

though the point of the initial question was just asking if you were able to. It’s not a huge deal. Was just curious

I get the curiosity but I still dont see it. Any kid that not quite old enough to understand "dont touch the screen" is getting into a car seat in the car, not up into the front to start pushing buttons. They would also have to navigate through a couple of menus to start the game, and in the case of the driving game, then sit in the drivers seat to start turning the wheels... all while a parent is somehow loading groceries and doesnt see them?

My child is grown but I DID raise one, and see zero chance of the above happening without me or my wife noticing. Kid old enough to not be in a car seat is also old enough to understand "dont touch the screen without my permission".

There is ZERO chance all that could happen without parent oversight, unless someone is just leaving their kid in the car unattended.

The original statements were around "taking up room in the firmware" which is why I mentioned that, since we have no access to "load" anything on the cars storage, its not "taking up" additional room that we have access to. Its not like on some cars, where they have internal HDDs where you can upload CDs / Music to.... but even on those cars, the "car features" are partitioned off, and the storage is just for your media.

It's called control over the kids.

You do know that if you give them your phone (as I'm sure you do, to keep them quiet), that they could get in the drivers seat and drive away. Don't you???

Reactions: coconutboy84
Lost the point here...they only questioned if the app could be deleted...before we take the peep to Child Protective Services..give the answer to the question...and move on

I did answer the question. That no, you cant, and there isnt any reason to whatsoever, because its not "taking up space"

the point about children as brought up by @EchoDelta , which is how that conversation started, about "not wanting certain entertainment apps in the car" because of "the kids".

Reactions: Gasaraki

It is common to find it hard to imagine how other families and households operate.

For example, there are “no-screen until a certain age households”. Or Kids are curious and will explore, and the best way to support that habit is creating a safe environment for that. One way of doing that is removing things that are designed to attract. Cars are in garages and doors are unlocked. Etc etc.

Reactions: chinnam3
It is common to find it hard to imagine how other families and households operate.

For example, there are “no-screen until a certain age households”. Or Kids are curious and will explore, and the best way to support that habit is creating a safe environment for that. One way of doing that is removing things that are designed to attract. Cars are in garages and doors are unlocked. Etc etc.

yea exactly. My kids are older two in college, one in high school, and the last in 8th grade. But I always have been a little over strict with my kids. It’s seems to have worked out well, there all honor students, and so far extend that to deans list in college, respectful, however I have always encouraged them to learn as much about technology in a very controlled fashion. as in they weren’t allowed to have cell phones til 7th grade and only then because of all the sports they are/were in. Cross country and marching band in fall, basketball and concert band in winter, track in spring, basketball all summer then marching band late summer. Theater and all their church functions.

I’ve never had a car that had games on the console til later when I do get this car I ordered, so I never experienced what I outlined, but I have seen kids play with infotainment systems my kids included even as highschoolers that like to mess with the music. My kids don’t appreciate listening to Christmas music all year long. Highschoolers love games so I can easily see a teen doing the outlined behavior. ..

I have no desire for the cup game to exist when I get my car. Can I delete it?

The workaround I found was to activate valet mode while parked in the garage. This is not ideal but better than hiding the keys. It also trains your kid to think that the game is not accessible, so after a few tries and failed attempts and screwing, they accept their fate and stop trying.
I’m also very hopeful with Elon with a new kid and all this will be a feature within 5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer

You need to teach your kids better if your kids goes in to the garage and in your car on their own. The garage is not a play area and they should be taught that they can't go in there without you being there. Really that simple.

You need to teach your kids better if your kids goes in to the garage and in your car on their own. The garage is not a play area and they should be taught that they can't go in there without you being there. Really that simple.

One thing I also teach my kids is that some folks have their inner rules and mindsets and are unwilling to explore why they may be so, or have intellectual curiosity about other points of view and experiences. I also teach them communicate with, but not necessarily agree or acquiesce to categorical assertions about how others should live when they are unfounded or axiomatic. Really that simple too!

Hey guys, the key point of this subject is to find a way to delete or hide an apps, not how to teach your kids!

the reason is so simple and the need is there, so we don't need to waste time to talk about "why". If someone still want me to say, then: I hate those games! blurred vision the kids has!

If there is no official way, then we should push those software engineers to add this feature. We buy the car and we do have the right to control what is need and what is not, just like we can unload wheels.

Cybernytrix found a way of "activate valet mode" which could be a temporary workaround.

Now I am thinking about an unofficial way, that is to login the Tesla Linux system with terminal, while connect WiFi to my phone's hotspot, if succeed we can try to find the files of those games' link and delete them. Does anyone have experience with this? Welcome to expand your thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.