Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you do this with your left indicator / turn signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been noticing recently that when I use the three-flash left indicator it’s not always responding. I’m not sure if I’m just a bit light on the touch but It seems that I can pretty consistently get it not to fire. Can anyone else do this?

To be clear, if if I push it firmly it will fire every time. But when I’m just driving and doing it subconsciously, it’s very hit and miss.

I’ve tried to replicate with the right indicator, but I can’t - that one pretty much engages at the slightest movement upwards (ie before it hits the ‘click’ point). However the left appears to only fire when it moves to the click point hard enough.

what does yours do? Is this a bug that I need to get looked at, or is it feature that I need to learn to live with?

It's definitely a bit deaf, as is the high/low switch. TBH, it's the high/low switch that annoys me the most. It usually dips OK, but often needs half a dozen operations to get it to go back to high beam. I'm guessing that it's something to do with the way the software polls/debounces the switches.

Dunno if it's related but a couple of times last week (not been out this week) I managed to activate voice command mode when exiting roundabouts (so did a brief left tap to do a triple blink for my exit) and dipping the full beams at nearly the same time (on coming cars were just rounding the next bend). This happened at two different roundabouts on one evening and again at a third one the next evening.

I'm not totally certain that I did not press the right-hand scroll wheel at the same time, but that would require some serious contortion and a degree of pressure to press it... Very odd.

I had it happen (but it seemed more pronounced than yours) on my 3/19 build. Mobile service removed the wheel and replaced both stalks.
Thanks that’s useful.

I’ve just been on a ~60 mile round trip and I’m more convinced it’s not normal. It’s the subconscious times that I realise. Just indicated off a roundabout without thinking about it and it didn’t fire. Also took me 3 attempts to indicate to change lane on the M25.

Still Interested in other views but I suspect I have a problem.

Thanks to all those posting your own experiences. Helpful to see I’m not the only one and I’m sure it’s a change in behaviour within the last few weeks. I do wonder if it’s a software thing, (although I'm still on 44). Either way, it’s happening to me regularly on every drive now, where it wasn’t happening at all a few weeks ago.

So, I have now logged a service ticket with Tesla to investigate the issue. A day or two later they contacted me to ask for a specific timestamp of an occurrence of the problem within the last 10 days so they could look into the logs. So I provided the YouTube link above and the timestamp that I took the video, and separately a to-the-minute timestamp of it happening in a real-world drive situation.

They have acknowledged the info I have provided and are now looking into it. I’ll keep you posted with what they find...

Reactions: CMc1