Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Downgrade From 60kwh to 40kwh because of the new deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that i configured for 60kwh . Can i downgrade from 60 kwh to 40wh? This way I can figure out if i really need the extra range on the 60kwh because I dont do alot mileage aday , only 10-12 miles aday.if I'm doing alot mileage ill upgrade to the 60kwh later on since i would hane that new option.

Thet cant do anything if you don't pay. You can only the lose deposit. But if they don't offer the 40 kwh then maybe you can't get. But its big difference of 12,000 which means alot of money. Im sure if you threaten to cancel because now its practically the same car, its only 60 kwh but either version 40 or 60. Im going to ask them.i can order 40 then upgrade to 60 if i need to which thet have done to begin with

Thet cant do anything if you don't pay. You can only the lose deposit. But if they don't offer the 40 kwh then maybe you can't get. But its big difference of 12,000 which means alot of money. Im sure if you threaten to cancel because now its practically the same car, its only 60 kwh but either version 40 or 60. Im going to ask them.i can order 40 then upgrade to 60 if i need to which thet have done to begin with

Huh? What are you talking about? Can you please rephrase that?

Tesla stopped selling the 40kWh car the day they made the announcement. So no you can't get a 40kWh car anymore. If you already finalized then Tesla surely isn't just going to hand you $12k for the exact same car, and hope you give it back to them eventually.

If you really wanted to get a 40kWh your would have had to cancel your order, open a new order and finalize on the 40kWh car all on the day they announced it going away.

Tesla isn't a charity organization. They won't just give you free stuff. But I would still ask. Couldn't hurt. But don't expect anything. Tesla doesn't owe you anything, just remember you are asking for a BIG favor.

Im saying I can cancel if they dont offer me the 40 kwh. They will probably offer me the 40 kwh .

If you finalized already then yes - they will offer you the 40kWh in the form of a software limited 60kWh car. If you haven't finalized then who knows? My guess is they will either 1) give you the deposit back if you cancel or 2) inform you that they no longer sell a 40kWh car but that, when your time comes to finalize, you can choose from the ones they are selling: a 60kWh car or an 85kW car.

Im saying I can cancel if they dont offer me the 40 kwh. They will probably offer me the 40 kwh .

I doubt it. I bet Tesla makes absolutely NO money on the 40kWh cars (or maybe even takes a small loss). So they would happily take your free $5k and let you go buy a Prius.

- - - Updated - - -

If you finalized already then yes - they will offer you the 40kWh in the form of a software limited 60kWh car.

He already finalized on the 60kWh. No way Tesla gives him a 'downgrade' to 40kWh.

I had been a 40 kWh reservation holder for well over a year and finalized with it last November. I pulled the upgrade trigger a couple of weeks ago when new delays in the production of the 40 kWh were announced. I've called and asked if I can revert back. Apparently many other folks are also trying to do the same as well. They are looking into it.

One thing was very clear from my interaction. They certainly are making a distinction between those in my case and those who ordered the 60 (and perhaps finalized with the 60) who want to downgrade. I agree with the others that the latter folks are very unlikely to be allowed to downgrade. However, for people in my shoes I think it is fair. I upgraded because I was told it would move up my delivery date. Clearly that is no longer the case.

I finalized 12/11/12 and the website said yesterday that Tesla is building your car, now they took that off from my Tesla website. That means that they just making 60's including within those the 40's . So they already put me in line for production like for mid-April so if i cancel they will lose 70k cause i have included alot of options and it will mess up production because they probably ordered some of parts already. So now i think its more likely they'll do it because they lose money because i'm paying in full , not finance or lease. Look at my website My Tesla , they took off " Tesla is building you car". Looks like i can because they lose money because look how many cancelations they had after the NYT article , they lost $100 million on those cancelations!

I finalized 12/11/12 and the website said yesterday that Tesla is building your car, now they took that off from my Tesla website. That means that they just making 60's including within those the 40's . So they already put me in line for production like for mid-April so if i cancel they will lose 70k cause i have included alot of options and it will mess up production because they probably ordered some of parts already. So now i think its more likely they'll do it because they lose money because i'm paying in full , not finance or lease. Look at my website My Tesla , they took off " Tesla is building you car". Looks like i can because they lose money because look how many cancelations they had after the NYT article , they lost $100 million on those cancelations!

Why would you cancel? I'm not following the logic.

No they wont lose any money. The parts the may have ordered for your car would just go to another build. Their entire operation is streamlined and they share common parts across all builds. All you will do is lose your $5k deposit and make it so someone else moves up in line.

Also that line has been removed from everyone's "My Tesla" page not just yours.

Tesla will easily sell your car that you abandon. They won't lose any money. They wont lose more than the $5k deposit you put down. They certainly wont lose $12k you want them to give you back. And condisdering they put you in line for 'mid-April' the probably haven't made your car and won't even have to sell a prebuilt car. Where will Tesla lose money. They just drop their next weeks order for parts by one and they have fixed any 'problem' you might have created with them.

No , not true,i just called. They told me that they will call me back by the end of the week. Trust me if a car company makes only 400 cars a week , even one car they lose will effect them in someway . If they want to be profitable also in the second quarter of this year!

I can totally see someone who waited years for their 40 and in the last month or so upgraded to the 60 getting the option to go back. Assuming they don't already have a car. But not if you had always had, and finalized a 60 to begin with.

No , they said that they would get back to me so that means they maybe would try to find out if they could reprogram the software
in time to downgrade it to 40kwh. I want to go to 40 because i dont need a 60 really cause i only do low mileage like 10 miles a day , i live in nyc area . Then if i find out that i need 60 i'll upgrade to 60 and pay 13.5k extra because I included the twin chargers in my 60 order and i dont need it with the 40!!!