Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive a Tesla and still be a REAL MAN(tm)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Money and power are not related to coolness. Have we already forgotten the Fonz?

You can be broke and a nobody and still be cool. Or you can be rich and a movie star and be super uncool. Coolness is innate not acquired.

If you're cool, you can eat quiche in a Leaf and you won't be any less cool. Unless the quiche is not from free-range eggs. That's uncool.
Eh, sorta. I agree that the coolest people don't care what others think of them. But the coolest guys are, by and large, envied by others dudes and desired by women (adjust for your gender preference, as necessary). And let's be honest - a certain portion of every Tesla owner's brain wanted this car because they felt super cool driving it, in part because it's exclusive and powerful. We revel in the reactions of others, including the mental high fives of other MS owners. That it comes in an environmentally-friendly, tech savvy, "safest car ever" wrapper is also nice.

We revel in the reactions of others...

Nope. Not me. I drove a friend's Ferrari and it embarassed the heck out of me. I don't like getting a reaction simply because of the car I drive and that was one of the concerns I had about buying a Tesla -- and the reason I got grey instead of red, white or black. Fortunately, it really doesn't get a reaction like some other vehicles in its price range. It's much more of a common looking sedan which suits me fine. I didn't get it to try to be cool -- in fact I think the point of this thread is that it lacks coolness?

Then again, I may not be cool but I did quite well with the ladies (before being married for 25 years now and when I didn't have much money).

Nope. Not me. I drove a friend's Ferrari and it embarassed the heck out of me. I don't like getting a reaction simply because of the car I drive and that was one of the concerns I had about buying a Tesla -- and the reason I got grey instead of red, white or black. Fortunately, it really doesn't get a reaction like some other vehicles in its price range. It's much more of a common looking sedan which suits me fine. I didn't get it to try to be cool -- in fact I think the point of this thread is that it lacks coolness?

Then again, I may not be cool but I did quite well with the ladies (before being married for 25 years now and when I didn't have much money).
See, but that's kind of my point. Real men drive Tesla as an alternative to the ultra dooshy super cars. It's what I call "Silicon Valley successful" meaning that its understated/not ostentatious while still delivering a practical, family-friend sedan that just *happens* to be disrupting the entire auto industry. I think that's cool. And if you want a race car, the P85/90DL deliver that too. Because, come on, its fun to go fast. However, to your point, I think the reactions Teslas elicit from the general public are very different than that of a Ferrari, Lambo, or Maserati.

So, in my opinion anyway, real men absolutely drive Tesla. I opted for the P85D over the Maserati granturismo and have zero regrets.

I bought a Viper GTS in 2000 to pick up chicks. Didn't work. Sold it and got an E63 AMG. Didn't work. Sold it and got the MS. Didn't work. Maybe I'm not getting the right color or something.

Here - this worked for me:
IMG_0543.jpg
Picked up the chicks in our chicken-yard in Alaska, put them in the dog crate shown in the back of the dump trailer, drove them 3,800 miles to Arizona. Worked GREAT! All you need is an F-350, a camper, a 14,000-lb. dump trailer....11,500 pounds of other essentials....

My masculinity transcends my car. I can make a minivan look manly just by virtue of the fact I'm driving it.
Welcome to the forums, Mr Norris... :)

- - - Updated - - -

I work with young people every day and the Model S is 100% universally considered a cool car with undergraduates.

Of course these are Computer Science undergraduates, but that's the only restriction... apart from that, all students love the car. Male or female, country of origin, etc., doesn't matter.

I would love to survey psych majors or music majors to see what their take is.

Last edited:
Oh, I want to make a joke out of this "majors" thing!

Here's the old joke first:

----

The engineering major asks "how will I build that?"
The business major asks "how will I market that?"
The philosophy major asks "would you like fries with that?"

---

Tesla variant:

The engineering major asks "what's the range on that?"
The business major asks "what is the cost on that?"
The psych major asks "is Elon Musk single again yet?"

Right. My silver gets some attention, but only from those who know. It doesn't stand out like some colours do.

You misread my post. I said the Fonz was cool (tongue in cheek though). It is too bad he jumped the shark though...that ended his coolness but coined a good phrase.

I did state that money and power don't make a guy cool. I'll add to that the ladies too. Just because you can attract ladies (or better yet, gold-diggers) with money and power doesn't mean you are cool. I would think that's a given when we see so many uncool old guys with money, power and young ladies... one current wanabee politician comes to mind... but coolness certainly doesn't.

Donald Trump is the antithesis of cool.