Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you drive I80 all the way across the US with a M3P with tesla chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was talking to my buddy who is moving back to Cali and I told him I might drive from IL to visit him sometime and he said don't go on I80 take a southern route as he didn't think I'd be able to make it. I told him I was almost positive looking at the Tesla supercharger map I could do it pretty easily.

Reactions: IdaX
Was talking to my buddy who is moving back to Cali and I told him I might drive from IL to visit him sometime and he said don't go on I80 take a southern route as he didn't think I'd be able to make it. I told him I was almost positive looking at the Tesla supercharger map I could do it pretty easily.
Totally no problem. I haven't done the East Coast parts of I80, but the parts west of the Mississippi are the most challenging. I've done the western parts in our 2017 Model X with 269 miles of range left, so they're no big deal at all in a M3P. Have a great trip, and come back and tell us about it!

ABRP:

1654320837982.png

Or if you prefer:

Go to your car. Enter the destination. Watch it draw a pretty map.

There is no discussion. The car figures it out for you. Asking on the internet doesn't change the answer.

ABRP:

View attachment 812484

Or if you prefer:

Go to your car. Enter the destination. Watch it draw a pretty map.

There is no discussion. The car figures it out for you. Asking on the internet doesn't change the answer.
Thanks for the map! I'm not in the car and figured this would be a good place to ask! Why does it show so many stops and not charging up much?

Reactions: byeLT4 and IdaX
Honestly it makes more sense to rent a gas car for this. That’s an insane number of stops. Plus your paint and windshield will thank you.
Not for me. After road tripping in my Tesla cross country with AP and the fun of the car even after 5+ years, I find it MUCH more enjoyable than doing this in my gas car. In fact, on another trip right now.

Also can cut down the stops by staying at hotels with chargers and timing with eating, breaks, etc. It’s only an issue for those that prefer cannonball run style trips. But if in that big of hurry, fly.

I also prefer to actually use my car rather than worry about bugs or chips.

Thanks for the map! I'm not in the car and figured this would be a good place to ask! Why does it show so many stops and not charging up much?
In most locations, you can choose to take longer stops every 3 hours or so and charge to 90%. Don't know about you, but that's about right for me and my bladder. 🙂

Not for me. After road tripping in my Tesla cross country with AP and the fun of the car even after 5+ years, I find it MUCH more enjoyable than doing this in my gas car. In fact, on another trip right now.

Also can cut down the stops by staying at hotels with chargers and timing with eating, breaks, etc. It’s only an issue for those that prefer cannonball run style trips. But if in that big of hurry, fly.

I also prefer to actually use my car rather than worry about bugs or chips.
Yup I bought the car to enjoy. If I wanted to just get out west I'd fly like Normal but it seems like it would be a fun road trip. Also plan to go a southern route at some point to see my brother in AZ as well. And I agree finding hotels with chargers would be awesome too.:)

Reactions: SO16 and KJD
In most locations, you can choose to take longer stops every 3 hours or so and charge to 90%. Don't know about you, but that's about right for me and my bladder. 🙂

I'd rather do it this way. Charge up more and wait a little longer instead of stopping more frequently.

Reactions: SO16

Just read your thread! Thats awesome man! Looks like a blast!! Love the pics!