Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you fit a rear facing car seat + 2 front facing car seats in a Tesla Model Y (5 seats UK model)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - we're going through car decisions and wondering if it's feasible to fit a rear facing car seat with isofix and 2 front facing car seats in the Model Y (5 seat model only as that's the one available in the UK). Any advice would be great

In my personal experience - yes, you can fit two front-facing car seats and one rear-facing car seat in a Model Y, but I had to use the seatbelts, rather than using ISOFIX, which I believe is the same as the LATCH system used here in the United States.

I initially used a Chicco Keyfit 30 behind the passenger seat, and had two forward-facing Diono Radian convertible car seats behind the driver and in the middle seat and I later replaced the Chicco w/ a rear-facing Diono Radian.

It's a tight fit, but it can be achieved.

Depending on your car seats, yes it will fit 3 car seats across. I had a Britax Advocate Clicktight rear facing and two Diono Radian 3RXTs forward facing. Like @JLOC said, I used the car seatbelt for the clicktight seat because it's built to use that. My kids were too heavy to use the isofix/latch mounting points for the forward facing seats. If you are using an infant carrier with a base, the isofix/latch would work well.

The problem I ran into when my oldest moved into a booster seat was that the base of those seats were larger than the car seats, so now I had to switch to two Diono Radians and one booster seat and it is really tight in there. Luckily we have a larger vehicle we use for most family outings.

Depending on your car seats, yes it will fit 3 car seats across. I had a Britax Advocate Clicktight rear facing and two Diono Radian 3RXTs forward facing. Like @JLOC said, I used the car seatbelt for the clicktight seat because it's built to use that. My kids were too heavy to use the isofix/latch mounting points for the forward facing seats. If you are using an infant carrier with a base, the isofix/latch would work well.

The problem I ran into when my oldest moved into a booster seat was that the base of those seats were larger than the car seats, so now I had to switch to two Diono Radians and one booster seat and it is really tight in there. Luckily we have a larger vehicle we use for most family outings.
To add to what @Magnetic Flux wrote - our oldest child, who is 8, graduated to a booster seat, and we put him in a Cosco Topside backless booster. This was the only booster where the base wasn't so wide that he could not access the recessed seat belt buckle. We tried a Graco Turbobooster, but the base on that booster was far too wide, and he could not access the buckle (to buckle his seatbelt) if he was sitting in the booster.

As of now, we have a rear-facing Diono Radian 3R behind the passenger seat, a front-facing Diono Radian RXT in the middle seat (both attached using a seatbelt, rather than isofix/latch), and a Cosco Topside backless booster behind the driver.

• Informative
Reactions: Magnetic Flux