Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you fit two Rollators (Walkers?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Tesla Model Y today and had a great time, however there might be an issue for me for cargo space. I fairly routinely transport my parents and both use rollators (walkers). I currently fold these up and lay them sideways in the back of my Subaru Forrester, which is about 42" wide in back. The Model Y is deeper (longer) than the Forrester but the width is only around 37". It looks like they MIGHT go in lengthwise, but I don't know the exact shape of the interior of the rear hatch. They're right around 40" long when folded and they add up to around 19" high when two are stacked. (These are very irregular shapes so it's hard to be exact.)

So, I was hoping that someone else had a similar issue and had already worked out if they fit. I would prefer to not have to fold the rear seat, if possible, but worst case, folding part of it down is OK. The rollators are around 23.5" wide - I don't know how much of an opening you get from folding 1/3 or 2/3s down.

By any chance, has anyone done this?

I have experience carrying my mom's rollator in all sorts of crossovers and SUVs but not my Model Y. I just measured the cargo area of my 2020 Model Y. From the back of the second row seats (seats not reclined) to the edge of my cargo area liner is 41". Side to side I measured 42" at the narrowest part of the cargo area. I have a BASENOR cargo cover and from the cargo floor to the BASENOR cargo cover is ~16.5".

I also have rollator from when I injured my ankle. Every rollator should be adjusted for the patient's height. Some rollators have fixed front wheels while you can add maneuverability if you install front wheels that swivel (that's what is on my mom's rollator.) Anyway; I was able to fit my rollator without folding the rollator flat with the fixed wheels touching the back the second row seats. The handle end of the rollator is not as high so I was able to fully close the hatch of my Model Y.

With my rollator folded it fit front to back or sideways with no issue. That may be your best option when carrying two rollators. Another option, especially if only one person is seated in the second row is to fold one of the rollators and stash it behind the front seats. Since there is no floor tunnel in the Model Y for a transmission the rollator can lay flat on it side on the floor of the Model Y (The rollators might be too tall to be able to stand upright behind the front seats (when folded).

In summary, you can probably fit one unfolded rollator in the cargo area (possibly two rollators if you carefully lay one on top of the other.) If you fold the rollators flat you have many options on how to carry more than one rollator.

My mom now uses a portable wheel chair for when the distance would be too great to use the walker. The portable wheel chair can be instantly collapsed for storage and transport (the foot platforms can be quickly removed.) The portable wheel chair is lightweight and can be stored in the cargo area (not sure about two portable wheel chairs.) It might be possible to transport the portable wheel chair behind the front row, i.e. with the front passenger seat moved forward and no one sitting in the second row passenger side seat.

Last edited:
Wow! Are you sure about the 42" side to side at the narrowest part? I put 37 wide in my phone while the Tesla Rep was holding the tape measure. An additional 5 inches there would really help! (The model we were measuring was a performance, though I assume the long range would be the same.)

Wow! Are you sure about the 42" side to side at the narrowest part? I put 37 wide in my phone while the Tesla Rep was holding the tape measure. An additional 5 inches there would really help! (The model we were measuring was a performance, though I assume the long range would be the same.)
I just measured my 2020 LRMY. Across the hatch opening it measured 39". Inside the hatch storage area (between the two wheel wells) I measured 40-3/4".

Why don’t you try it on a test drive ?

if they don’t fit and you really still want the Y you could always attach a trailer hitch basket to the tow hitch. Any Y can get a hitch receive installed from Tesla for about $1400 after tax or $400 or so before labor from aftermarket like etrailer or uhaul.

Reactions: jsight
Why don’t you try it on a test drive ?

if they don’t fit and you really still want the Y you could always attach a trailer hitch basket to the tow hitch. Any Y can get a hitch receive installed from Tesla for about $1400 after tax or $400 or so before labor from aftermarket like etrailer or uhaul.
You can also order it with the hitch and they only charge $1000. (Even though I understand they still install it as the local service center before they deliver it. Could be wrong about that.)

Reactions: hcdavis3