Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you get Magic or Absolute 80's on your TuneIn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide on an MCU upgrade but don't want to pay £400 for the DAB radio option.

I tried TuneIn on my MCU1 and quite a few stations work but Magic and Absolute 80's come up "Loading Error", can someone with a newer MCU confirm if it works OK with their systems so it is the old MCU or is it a problem with these stations?

Note: I tried it all the way from Nottingham to London on the M1 so I'm pretty sure that it isn't mobile coverage

Have you tried Tunein using a WiFi signal such as data sharing from a phone or when the car is connected to home WiFi?

Absolute 80’s works on Tunein in my 11 month old M3 with Premium Connectivity, but only using a WiFi signal and not using the data SIM in the car.

I suspect that as Tesla’s have data SIMs from places like Holland, Tunein is blocking access from abroad and the foreign SIMs appear to be abroad to Tunein and they have an agreement to block some channels for people abroad.

Things like the BBC on the Internet app also get Dutch adverts for me and different content. Occasionally I turn on data sharing on my phone so that I appear in the UK and connect the car via WiFi to the phone.

Last edited:
I'll try the wifi next time I go out, but that is going to make the radio upgrade dependent on getting the correct new SIM. The car has Unlimited Premium Internet so I have no idea if they'll keep the SIM or swap it out.

I'll try the wifi next time I go out, but that is going to make the radio upgrade dependent on getting the correct new SIM. The car has Unlimited Premium Internet so I have no idea if they'll keep the SIM or swap it out.
Sadly there isn’t a correct SIM. It’s Dutch. As yet there isn’t an English SIM to swap to.
Mabye in two Elon weeks ;)

I have the same problem trying to listen to Radio Clyde, mainly for football banter. I always get the “loading error” message despite it being fine on every other TuneIn app I use. I usually end up playing it via TuneIn on my mobile, bluetooth to the Tesla system.

Absolute 80’s works on Tunein in my 11 month old M3 with Premium Connectivity, but only using a WiFi signal and not using the data SIM in the car.
Worth checking if it's available on LTE by finding the station within TuneIn via Country > United Kingdom > Region.

Whilst abroad this summer I wasn't able to find via the search results BBC Radio 1 or 2, but once I dug through via the country route most of my local and regional versions of national stations were available. From there I just set them as favourites for quicker access.

It's a region thing, well done @Dilly. Doesn't work on the built in internet, hot spot to my phone it works perfectly. Did a reset on the system and got the browser to work and google shows the .nl page.

I'll need to find out if the new MCU comes with a new SIM or tries to use the old one, especially if I want to keep my Unlimited Premium Internet

It's a region thing, well done @Dilly. Doesn't work on the built in internet, hot spot to my phone it works perfectly. Did a reset on the system and got the browser to work and google shows the .nl page.

I'll need to find out if the new MCU comes with a new SIM or tries to use the old one, especially if I want to keep my Unlimited Premium Internet
I raised it with Chelmsford SC. The U.K. uses a Dutch SIM. There is no U.K. based SIM in the offing in the foreseeable future.

I raised it with Chelmsford SC. The U.K. uses a Dutch SIM. There is no U.K. based SIM in the offing in the foreseeable future.
I also have a Dutch sim here in France and as far as I know, so does everyone in (at least) western Europe. I also have a Starlink system which last week, started showing my IP address as being in the UK. I was onto Starlink very quickly because I was suddenly geo-locked out of certain applications. After four days, they fixed it. I think they were a bit surprised at my concern...but was it ever thus? The USA sees us as 'Europe' and Tesla see us all as Tesla Europe based in The Netherlands. I think questions could be asked as to whether it is acceptable to sell vehicles for specific markets with entertainment systems that geo-lock certain stations if you are outside The Netherlands.