Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you get rated range in sub-freezing temps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The short answer is no. You can’t.

But I got pretty close if you remove heating and battery conditioning.

Today as everyone in the country knows is friggin’ cold. I was able to get this result with an average speed of 60mph!

HVAC was set up in a special way to maximize range in my opinion while maintaining comfort. I was by myself so I split the settings and set driver side to 76 and passenger side to 60. A/C was set to on and recirc was on.

Not sure how much the car used to warm the battery but it did use up about 3% when I got closer to the supercharger and I lost 6% while it was parked outside at work today.

Overall, still very impressed with the 85D.

Attachments

• F27DE6C9-FBC2-4898-87C6-E3D75CBEC0C5.jpeg
    F27DE6C9-FBC2-4898-87C6-E3D75CBEC0C5.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 68
From what I see on the screen, that's pretty impressive for any EV. I rarely drove my 85D under those conditions, but I can relate to your success with it. Don't believe there's ever been a better means of travel on 4 wheels than the 85/90. Ever.

From what I see on the screen, that's pretty impressive for any EV. I rarely drove my 85D under those conditions, but I can relate to your success with it. Don't believe there's ever been a better means of travel on 4 wheels than the 85/90. Ever.
I am in that camp also. I firmly believe there was very little in the way of non-aero efficiency improvements on the newer Tesla’s until the latest Plaid variant. Most of the range improvements for the S I believe come from larger usable batteries and tweaks to the aero (front bumper and wheels).

Which got me thinking, could I get my 85D to be reliably on par with a pre-2021 refresh S in terms of efficiency and range?

I have several ideas I want to test out and the first being my set of 19” TheNewAero Razors arriving next week in addition to a brand new set of Pirelli P Zero Allseason Elects.

I have a few aero tweaks in mind also. One of which was a wider rear spoiler then the OEM style one that kicks up a little more to help separate the flow better coming off the back. I may have gained 1-2% from it but can’t really tell as it’s well within the margin of daily fluctuations. Though after install I was able to hit 250w/hr mi more consistently when before it would be in the 260s for my daily commute to work which is one of my benchmarks.