TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can you get the service history of your car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jashev, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I bought a CPO in December. I asked for the service history of the car at the time and they said they would send it to me. Never got it. Called last week and a gentleman in the service department said he would get that out to me. Still nothing.

Called today and a service rep tells me that they can't give that to me. I can only get the history since I've owned the car. Has anybody had this problem OR has anybody actually gotten the service history on a CPO vehicle?

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

I've been told that tesla will rarely release the info that you're seeking

3. ev-now

ev-now Member

I have been told categorically NO - ran it a decent way up the chain. If you manage to find someone who will release it, please PM who/how.

4. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

No but I've had the service advisor read to me verbally everything that was done or not done (e.g. Original Drive Unit / Battery Pack).

• Like x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Active Member

I wish Tesla could give out service history of a used car.

However, I could understand why it doesn't due to potential breach of privacy.

If the previous owner is someone worthy of news, a gossip column can publish that service story to support some sort of story.

6. ev-now

ev-now Member

Name of owner can be redacted - has been on service records I've seen from other manufacturers. Assumes they can't simply run out a report of all actions. Privacy is no excuse. Concern about actions taken by service as part of improvements which the owner was not fully informed about is more likely the concern. Reasonable as the vehicles have been subject to development and improvement over time. But transparency is preferable.

• Like x 1
  7. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Sorry, but that's the same BS the service rep told me. I have bought CPO cars for years (MB, BMW, etc.) and have always gotten a printout of the complete service history of the vehicle. There was no ownership information in those reports. In fact, after a discussion with the AG's office in PA today, it turns out that I may actually be entitled to it. They are getting back to me.

• Like x 1
  8. Tam

Tam Active Member

I am just thinking out loud Tesla's legal basis of Car Service History Denial.

I am not sure whether there's any law to deal with Car Service History Denial.

I imagine if it is an "as-is" then may be the law does not require them to supply Service History.

On the other hand if it's sold "as-is" but with warranty coverage then may be the law does not require them to supply Service History either.

In addition, if they inspected, replaced the worn tires and did a Wheel Alignment, I am not sure the law requires a CPO seller to disclose what they just did.

Nevertheless, I too am a proponent for Service History but whether I can get it or not depends on the law.

9. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Only tangentially related but I asked about contacting the new owner of the S85 I traded in a few months ago and that went to Texas and was told they didn't think they could make that happen.

10. ev-now

ev-now Member

New owner can reach you though, as they'd have the title work - further proof that the owner info is a BS excuse. I considered trying to get hold of the original owner of mine.

11. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Ah. Good to know.

But just in case someone, possibly in Texas, reading this who recently purchased a red 2015 S85 with VIN ending in 3025 it would be fun to hear from you. :)

• Like x 1
  12. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Perhaps Tesla could aggregate the data from the service history and run an algorithm to anonymise to data. Most large datasets collected over the cloud have some amount of this very technology. Don't tell us it cannot be done.

• Like x 1
  13. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

If every other manufacturer can do this, I can't imagine this would be beyond Tesla's technical expertise.

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

It is not about technical issue.

Currently, some car dealers would give you a service history for the asking.

It's a voluntary system where if you are very nice to your dealer, you might get it.

Some will not no matter what you do.

Not because they can't but just because the law doesn't mandate them to give you one.

In the mean time, they just give you excuses.

15. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I have never had a dealership refuse to give me the service history of a vehicle that I own. Even when I did not buy the car from the dealership. It's called customer service and it's those type of actions which encourage customer loyalty. To give me a line of BS about privacy and then for the Rep to get nasty with me are not what I expect from a high end dealer.