Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you get the service history of your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a CPO in December. I asked for the service history of the car at the time and they said they would send it to me. Never got it. Called last week and a gentleman in the service department said he would get that out to me. Still nothing.

Called today and a service rep tells me that they can't give that to me. I can only get the history since I've owned the car. Has anybody had this problem OR has anybody actually gotten the service history on a CPO vehicle?

I wish Tesla could give out service history of a used car.

However, I could understand why it doesn't due to potential breach of privacy.

If the previous owner is someone worthy of news, a gossip column can publish that service story to support some sort of story.
Name of owner can be redacted - has been on service records I've seen from other manufacturers. Assumes they can't simply run out a report of all actions. Privacy is no excuse. Concern about actions taken by service as part of improvements which the owner was not fully informed about is more likely the concern. Reasonable as the vehicles have been subject to development and improvement over time. But transparency is preferable.

Reactions: Jashev

If the previous owner is someone worthy of news, a gossip column can publish that service story to support some sort of story.

Sorry, but that's the same BS the service rep told me. I have bought CPO cars for years (MB, BMW, etc.) and have always gotten a printout of the complete service history of the vehicle. There was no ownership information in those reports. In fact, after a discussion with the AG's office in PA today, it turns out that I may actually be entitled to it. They are getting back to me.

Sorry, but that's the same BS the service rep told me. I have bought CPO cars for years (MB, BMW, etc.) and have always gotten a printout of the complete service history of the vehicle. There was no ownership information in those reports. In fact, after a discussion with the AG's office in PA today, it turns out that I may actually be entitled to it. They are getting back to me.

I am just thinking out loud Tesla's legal basis of Car Service History Denial.

I am not sure whether there's any law to deal with Car Service History Denial.

I imagine if it is an "as-is" then may be the law does not require them to supply Service History.

On the other hand if it's sold "as-is" but with warranty coverage then may be the law does not require them to supply Service History either.

In addition, if they inspected, replaced the worn tires and did a Wheel Alignment, I am not sure the law requires a CPO seller to disclose what they just did.

Nevertheless, I too am a proponent for Service History but whether I can get it or not depends on the law.

Only tangentially related but I asked about contacting the new owner of the S85 I traded in a few months ago and that went to Texas and was told they didn't think they could make that happen.
New owner can reach you though, as they'd have the title work - further proof that the owner info is a BS excuse. I considered trying to get hold of the original owner of mine.

Reactions: Norwalk79
If every other manufacturer can do this, I can't imagine this would be beyond Tesla's technical expertise.

It is not about technical issue.

Currently, some car dealers would give you a service history for the asking.

It's a voluntary system where if you are very nice to your dealer, you might get it.

Some will not no matter what you do.

Not because they can't but just because the law doesn't mandate them to give you one.

In the mean time, they just give you excuses.

It's a voluntary system where if you are very nice to your dealer, you might get it.

I have never had a dealership refuse to give me the service history of a vehicle that I own. Even when I did not buy the car from the dealership. It's called customer service and it's those type of actions which encourage customer loyalty. To give me a line of BS about privacy and then for the Rep to get nasty with me are not what I expect from a high end dealer.

If every other manufacturer can do this, I can't imagine this would be beyond Tesla's technical expertise.
Bad/not honest manufacturers do not want to perform previous recalls that previous owners did not get done. I found out that Tesla currently have a 1-MONTH WAIT for ANY Service appointment. This is UNACCEPTABLE. NO car dealers/manufacturers EVER have a 1-MONTH WAIT for ANY Service appointment. I have many other serious complaints about Tesla, wait till I have more time.

Bad/not honest manufacturers do not want to perform previous recalls that previous owners did not get done. I found out that Tesla currently have a 1-MONTH WAIT for ANY Service appointment. This is UNACCEPTABLE. NO car dealers/manufacturers EVER have a 1-MONTH WAIT for ANY Service appointment. I have many other serious complaints about Tesla, wait till I have more time.
We had our car towed to Tesla for Service on Jan. 10th and they JUST put it on the charger in the garage yesterday. I need to WORK...i just landed an amazing new job but it involves driving ALL day...so right now Im losing $30 per hr +com...I called last night and they said they are STILL waiting on a part...but they JUST finished the "longer than usual, more IN-DEPTH diagnostic yesterday...they can't give me an estimated time of when it will be done...when I asked if they had a loaner available I was not "No we don't have one available at the moment"...the tech said they would be giving us a HUGE discount...can't wait to see what they define as "Huge". Its so frustrating.

I do wish I could get the service history of my car. The most I got was "the previous owner took good care of the car" from a mobile tech that refused to show me the service history.

Mine was a Tesla lease return. It still had "Home" programmed in the navigation and the garage door opener still programmed along with all the locations visited since the car was new. I couldn't quite pin the previous owner per say till I had the car serviced by Tesla and they provided me the previous owners license plate number on my invoice. It was then that I could sleuth who the previous owner was.

...It still had "Home" programmed in the navigation and the garage door opener still programmed along with all the locations visited since the car was new. I couldn't quite pin the previous owner per say till I had the car serviced by Tesla and they provided me the previous owners license plate number on my invoice. It was then that I could sleuth who the previous owner was...
You got the point.

Tesla's confidentiality protection sounds good but your experience has disproved its practice.