TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you have Autopilot without the Tech Package?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jgarcia540, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jgarcia540

jgarcia540 New Member

I found a 2014 85 model that I want to buy and the description from the seller says that the car does not have the tech package, but it has the sensors and Autopilot hardware. And yes, from the pictures, i can see this. I know that if I buy this car, I can then purchase the AP software for about $3k, but does this mean that I will then have the tech package? If not, what would I be missing?

2. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

The Tech Package was discontinued shortly after autopilot was introduced, but they did overlap for a few months. This is a good source for what to expect if you know when a car was built:
    Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

I doubt you would be getting any other Tech Package features turned on with Autopilot. Some of the Tech Package features were hardware like folding mirrors.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Nope. They can activate the AP over the air. The tech package includes hardware.

4. NoMoGasNeMo

NoMoGasNeMo Member

Yes you can have autopilot without the tech package. Take it you looking at a blue Tesla with the weirdest configuration ever.

5. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

What a strange combination of tech... auto pilot but no navigation.

• Like x 1