TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you identify the cause of these mystery wheel scratches?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ToddRLockwood, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

When I changed to my winter wheels recently, I noticed these peculiar scratches on the inner surface of my 21-inch left-front wheel. The other three wheels were not affected.

Any theories?

WheelScratches.jpg

2. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

the pattern suggests driving the car (probably slowly) against something like a rail. Could be from a car wash since it's on the inner side of the wheel?

3. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

I would agree with this suggestion. The apparent radius of the scratches had me fooled at first, but the rolling motion of the wheel would create almost a 'U' shaped scratch... the rest of which would have been on the rubber and thus invisible.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Almost certainly they are from car wash rails. You're lucky they didn't tear up the tires--it's not that uncommon.

5. sledhead36

sledhead36 Member