Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

in the S forums there have been several discussions over the past few years about keeping the car on when it is unoccupied or someone is in the rear seats or sleeping in the trunk area with the rear seats folded flat. I've searched through those threads but can't find a specific statement regarding whether or not the 12V outlet stays on indefinitely when one uses the trick of putting the car in neutral, setting the parking brake through the center display and then exiting the car.

And I can't find any threads in the X forums about keeping the 12V outlets live with no one in the car and it is locked, which is specifically what I'm interested in. Anyone know if that is possible?

Yes, you can do a simple modification to keep he 12V outlets active when the car is powered off :cool:

Ingineer said:

BTW, it's a simple matter to keep the 12v outlet in the console live all the time if desired.
It's just a simple relay in fuse box #2 (the one on the passenger side under the removable cowling cover - see owner’s manual). Simply make up a jumper consisting of short piece of 14AWG or better wire with a couple of male 1/4" spade terminals. Pull the front most passenger side relay out and insert the jumper into the now exposed 1/4" female receptacles, and you're done, the 12v outlet is now on all the time. You can quickly change it back anytime by removing the jumper and reinstalling the relay.

upload_2017-1-2_21-38-4.png

The power port in the back trunk area is always on.
Wow, that's good news, I did not realize that. Thanks Phil. My wife and I generally travel with a 12V thermoelectric cooler and the Model X rear 12V outlet is the perfect place to plug that into. If it's always on that will be a help since when we get our camper trailer we can use that cooler in the X as a supplemental refrigerator. The power draw is pretty low.

Yep, we keep a Seagate Wireless Plus in the back of the X, plugged into the rear 12V power (usb adapter). It is filled with movies for the kids for use on trips. I can confirm it is always powered.
Use the same solution in my other cars - Infuse Pro on iPads works perfectly to play library keeping kids entertained! Haven't put a drive in my new X yet, but one's on order! Happy new year!

Wow, that's good news, I did not realize that. Thanks Phil. My wife and I generally travel with a 12V thermoelectric cooler and the Model X rear 12V outlet is the perfect place to plug that into. If it's always on that will be a help since when we get our camper trailer we can use that cooler in the X as a supplemental refrigerator. The power draw is pretty low.
We also travel with a electric cooler which we use for frozen foods on our 3 day trip N to s for the winter (and back). I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for the post

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it seems like after the updates since April, the 12v socket between the front seats and the rear cargo area no longer supply constant power when the car is powered off.

Did you guys find a work around? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

I will need to have constant power on the trunk power outlet too although for a different reason. I want to power astronomy equipment (scope, camera,...) at night so the car needs to be shut down as there can be absolutely no lights coming from the car (no interior lights, screen, running lights,...).
Which brings up the question: with the trunk open, can all lights be shut off? My X is scheduled for delivery at the end of the month so I cannot figure it out for myself right now but I would like to know as I have some astronomy trips planned and using the car is a lot more convenient than some heavy external 12V car battery.

It was my understanding that the 12v supply between the front seats always turned off with the vehicle. There may be a Model-S fuse-box hack you can make to change that behavior which may also work for the Model-X?

However, the 12v in the rear trunk should provide constant power.

With regards to lights, short of unplugging them (difficult and very stiff for the rear trunk), the lights will definitely come on when the trunk is open. Not sure if they time-out and turn themselves off after a period of time.

I would recommend pulling the lights out of the rear trunk (very stiff and hard to do, so be careful) and then splicing an on/off switch to the wires. That way, you can manually switch them off whenever you like. You would likely have to do that with the inner trunk light as well, but that one pops-out quit easily.

I will need to have constant power on the trunk power outlet too although for a different reason. I want to power astronomy equipment (scope, camera,...) at night so the car needs to be shut down as there can be absolutely no lights coming from the car (no interior lights, screen, running lights,...).
Which brings up the question: with the trunk open, can all lights be shut off? My X is scheduled for delivery at the end of the month so I cannot figure it out for myself right now but I would like to know as I have some astronomy trips planned and using the car is a lot more convenient than some heavy external 12V car battery.

If you need constant 12v power you would probably be better off with something like this.
Amazon.com: Anker PowerHouse, Compact 400Wh / 120000mAh Portable Outlet, Generator Alternative Rechargeable Power Source with Silent DC/AC Power Inverter, 12V Car, AC & USB Outputs for Camping or Emergency Backup: Home Audio & Theater

It ain't cheap, but it's on sale and you could power a bunch of stuff from it.

I just used the rear trunk 12V this weekend and it isn't on all the time in my car. I walked up and plugged something in and it didn't work (even with hatch open). Opened the driver door and it came to life.

Maybe a running change? I have a Dec 2016 build.

This is assuming we're talking about the one on the left side right in front of the rear hatch opening.

I wonder if it is software update or maybe Tesla changed state for power outlet in rear trunk at some point... I am pretty sure I had rear trunk power outlet on AP1 car always on but on March 2017 AP2 MX it turns off after car turns off when locked.... I don't have AP1 car anymore so can't see if it still stays on... anyone with 17.1x.xx AP1 car can confirm that rear trunk power outlet stays on there? It for sure doesn't stay on on any of 17.1x.xx AP2 car :( (oh, well at least it doesn't stay on for my 415xx)

I just used the rear trunk 12V this weekend and it isn't on all the time in my car. I walked up and plugged something in and it didn't work (even with hatch open). Opened the driver door and it came to life.

Maybe a running change? I have a Dec 2016 build.

This is assuming we're talking about the one on the left side right in front of the rear hatch opening.
Until now, I've only been going on what I've read on this forum. I just tested both my 12v supplies and it turns out that they are both powered constantly in my AP1 2016 Model-X.

So, it's very likely at some point (AP2?) Tesla changed the behavior. I wonder if the constant-12v supply hack works with the new Model-X?