Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tested both my 12v supplies and it turns out that they are both powered constantly in my AP1 2016 Model-X.

Just to ask, did you check them 30+ seconds after all the doors were closed? In my experience, the 12V doesn't always turn off the instant the car door closes. I have a dash cam hooked to switched 12V and it sometimes runs a bit after I get out of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Just to ask, did you check them 30+ seconds after all the doors were closed? In my experience, the 12V doesn't always turn off the instant the car door closes. I have a dash cam hooked to switched 12V and it sometimes runs a bit after I get out of the car.
Yes, I had thought of that. I actually went inside my house, dropped off my fob and came back a few minutes later. I had to go in the garage about an hour later, and check again - still powered.

For this test I used one of those "12v to 2-USB" adapters that lights up. I'm able to see the light through the window and I tried it in both 12v sockets. Same results. My VIN is under 3000, so it's a fairly old X with AP1.

Yes, you can do a simple modification to keep he 12V outlets active when the car is powered off :cool:

View attachment 208907

Until now, I've only been going on what I've read on this forum. I just tested both my 12v supplies and it turns out that they are both powered constantly in my AP1 2016 Model-X.

So, it's very likely at some point (AP2?) Tesla changed the behavior. I wonder if the constant-12v supply hack works with the new Model-X?

I performed the 12v supply hack on my early Signature S a few years ago and planned to do it on my new Model S. Unfortunately the new Model S (April delivery) has a totally different fuse box that looks nothing like that picture so no go on that hack.

I don't know when they switched and what the X version looks like, but if anyone has any update on that hack for the newer models I would love to see it.

Mine is also a Dec 2016 AP2 build, and can confirm that both 12V outlets do not keep power after the car is powered off. I won't have an opportunity to open up the fuse box until a couple weeks later, so I'll try to report back.

In the meantime, if anyone has another solution, or can update us on whether the latest firmware updates reactivates the trunk 12V outlet.

@vandacca I am positive that my previous older AP1 March 2016 Model X 90D vin 0017xx had front 12V outlet going dark when car off... I am positive that trunk 12V port stayed on always even when car off... that's weird that we had different behavior on such close by VIN number cars... I tested my March 2017 415xx AP2 car and I am positive that both 12V outlets behave the same and do not keep their power when car turns off...

yup, I use OBD port for my BlackVue Cameras... :) and I do even connect small laptop there (I use it as a DVR for black vue cameras so it constantly download videos)... had to install 10A fuse instead of stock 5A for OBD after I blew the fuse :( pain in the ass job to do so as access to inside fuse box is real pain the ass :)

yup, I use OBD port for my BlackVue Cameras... :) and I do even connect small laptop there (I use it as a DVR for black vue cameras so it constantly download videos)... had to install 10A fuse instead of stock 5A for OBD after I blew the fuse :( pain in the ass job to do so as access to inside fuse box is real pain the ass :)

Where is the fuse BTW? In the frunk?

@vandacca I am positive that my previous older AP1 March 2016 Model X 90D vin 0017xx had front 12V outlet going dark when car off... I am positive that trunk 12V port stayed on always even when car off... that's weird that we had different behavior on such close by VIN number cars... I tested my March 2017 415xx AP2 car and I am positive that both 12V outlets behave the same and do not keep their power when car turns off...
I wonder if that means that the always on behavior is tied to trim package? For example, I have PUP, so maybe that's the key?? Did you have PUP in your original X too?

I wonder if that means that the always on behavior is tied to trim package? For example, I have PUP, so maybe that's the key?? Did you have PUP in your original X too?

Yup, I had PUP on old and on new car :) I wouldn't give up this one :) love the auto-presenting doors. Towing package on both cars as well... all both fully loaded just non-Performance and no premium sound. Everything else I put in :)

Where is the fuse BTW? In the frunk?

It is inside just behind the tablet by accelerator pedal to the right.... behind the carpet.... it was not me who found it so credit goes to this thread owner that did the hard work figuring out which fuse and where! Don't get fooled... even when you know where it is located it is still hell of a job to replace it! :)

Help - OBD-II port power failure

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
Yup, I had PUP on old and on new car :) I wouldn't give up this one :) love the auto-presenting doors. Towing package on both cars as well... all both fully loaded just non-Performance and no premium sound. Everything else I put in :)
I'm at a loss. Only other difference I can think of is it was only included in Signature models.

I don't want to believe that the Model-X production line has a random number generator deciding which vehicles have the constant power 12v socket.

I just tested using the 12V to 2 USB adapters like @vandacca and confirmed constant power in both 12Vs. When my dash cam was installed, I asked that he ensure constant power would not be disupted in the outlets, so I am not sure whether he tricked things out. AP2 17.17.4
Both @NikeWings and I have a Performance model vehicle and @Waldek doesn't. Maybe that's the commonality here???

Both @NikeWings and I have a Performance model vehicle and @Waldek doesn't. Maybe that's the commonality here???

@vandacca have you also had dashcam installer installed blackvue or something like that? @NikeWings has it done before...

kind of weird to think that it was just matter of Performance or non-performance.... even more weird if it would be distinguished by signature and non-signature models...

@vandacca have you also had dashcam installer installed blackvue or something like that? @NikeWings has it done before...

kind of weird to think that it was just matter of Performance or non-performance.... even more weird if it would be distinguished by signature and non-signature models...
While I do have a Blackvue dashcam, I did it myself and ran a line to the OBDII port. I haven't altered my fuse-box to try and force constant power. I guess I could try to unplug my dashcam and see if that changes anything.

At the moment, my gut feeling is that Performance models might be configured to have constant 12v power. It would explain why performance models have less range than the non-performance. ;)

While I do have a Blackvue dashcam, I did it myself and ran a line to the OBDII port. I haven't altered my fuse-box to try and force constant power. I guess I could try to unplug my dashcam and see if that changes anything.

At the moment, my gut feeling is that Performance models might be configured to have constant 12v power. It would explain why performance models have less range than the non-performance. ;)

yeah, that explains a lot :) haha

bottom line quite a mystery why some of our cars have this way and some this way :) how about your USB ports? any of all of them stay on when car goes off? my all USB ports have no power when car turns off (same on both cars)

I started this thread, and now I have no idea if the rear 12V plug in the currently in production Model X cars are "always on" or not. Based on the conflicting reports it seems that just going to my local Showroom and testing that plug won't provide a definitive answer.

It does seem very unlikely that the P cars differ from the non-P cars in regards to the capability in question. That would make no sense to me.

yeah, that explains a lot :) haha

bottom line quite a mystery why some of our cars have this way and some this way :) how about your USB ports? any of all of them stay on when car goes off? my all USB ports have no power when car turns off (same on both cars)
It appears that all my USB ports go offline when the vehicle is off. Only my 12v sockets stays live.