Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this thread, and now I have no idea if the rear 12V plug in the currently in production Model X cars are "always on" or not. Based on the conflicting reports it seems that just going to my local Showroom and testing that plug won't provide a definitive answer.

It does seem very unlikely that the P cars differ from the non-P cars in regards to the capability in question. That would make no sense to me.
Well, one way to get to the bottom of this is to create a poll.

I performed the 12v supply hack on my early Signature S a few years ago and planned to do it on my new Model S.
Unfortunately the new Model S (April delivery) has a totally different fuse box that looks nothing like that picture so no go on that hack.

I don't know when they switched and what the X version looks like, but if anyone has any update on that hack for the newer models I would love to see it.

Here is the new fuse box diagram for the 2016+ facelift model S ... hope this helps. :cool:

2016 Fuse diagram.JPG

2016 Fuse diagram2.JPG

Reporting back, I turned power save mode off and the outlets still turn off. This was prior to the 17.17.4 update though. I just received my 17.17.4 update on Sunday, May 14 and did not try the power socket again. I may have to do that again now that it is on a different version.

Ahh, good point. I have mine set on power save mode. Maybe I will test the socket again with it turned off. Maybe that will make a difference...

Reporting back, I turned power save mode off and the outlets still turn off. This was prior to the 17.17.4 update though. I just received my 17.17.4 update on Sunday, May 14 and did not try the power socket again. I may have to do that again now that it is on a different version.

I turned off the energy saving option and noticed that the driver side 12V outlet remained on after several hours. But the energy saving option helptext seems to imply that the car will automatically enable the energy saving features in the nighttime.

I tested my rear cargo area 12v source using an USB adapter with an indicator light. In both cases below, I locked the car and moved the fob well away from the car. I checked the car every 10 minutes or so until one hour had elapsed, then every 30 minutes until the second hour had elapsed, and then had planned on checking hourly after that (or until I went to bed for the evening). My results are:

1. With energy saving ON, the 12v source went off within about 10 minutes.
2. With energy saving OFF, the 12v source stayed on for more than two hours but was off by the time three hours rolled around.

My vehicle:

2016 MX 90D
Not a P model
VIN 15XXX
Delivered Sep 2016
Current software version: 17.11.10

I want to carry a small compressor based refrigerator with me on a trip we will be taking this summer. I have the refrigerator (Dometic CF25) and have run it in the X.

@ecarfan ;

Yes; Dometic CF-025DC.

Interestingly, in my research I had noted that spec (78 kWh/24h) you are referring to, but it did not make sense to me. Maybe I don't understand the notation that was used????? The technical characteristics provided in the operator's manual indicate rated current of 6.8A at 12VDC. Rounding off, that equals 84W. And 84W instantaneous over 24 hours is certainly no where near 78 KwH.

Before I purchased the unit, I conducted some research over the internet (where all stories are 100% true and factual, right? :rolleyes: ). Many reviews indicated no issues with significant power drains on 12V batteries in ICE vehicles. So I took a chance and purchased the unit. I've run it in my ICE vehicle and also did a test in my MX. I don't expect there will be a problem.

Looked at the technical details on their website. All the "energy consumption" numbers they give for all their other refrigerators are in kWh/annum. So per year instead of per day. And that makes a lot more sense. I wonder how long the unit can keep a set temperature plus/minus a couple of degrees with no power on. Can you leave it overnight in the car when the 12V system is off and keep everything frozen?

Looked at the technical details on their website. All the "energy consumption" numbers they give for all their other refrigerators are in kWh/annum. So per year instead of per day. And that makes a lot more sense. I wonder how long the unit can keep a set temperature plus/minus a couple of degrees with no power on. Can you leave it overnight in the car when the 12V system is off and keep everything frozen?
I have one of their units and used it to keep food frozen on our three day Northern Migration. We just take it in the motel when we get there and run it on AC. I found no way to keep power on in the car when I stopped for a break, but the freezer kept everything frozen and the temperature didn't appreciably increase when we stopped.