TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ecarfan, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I left one phone connected via the 12 V and one via the USB over night. This morning one was dead. :(

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Well, one way to get to the bottom of this is to create a poll.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

And this thread is speciallly about the Model X. Do you own one?

4. jason1466

jason1466 Member

Could it be that Power Saving settings differ in all these tests? I will try mine and report back. I wonder if my 5 seater even has the same trunk port as the 6/7 seaters.

• Like x 1
  5. Anday

Anday Member

Ahh, good point. I have mine set on power save mode. Maybe I will test the socket again with it turned off. Maybe that will make a difference...

• Like x 1
  6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Yup, I own a Model-X. Check out my signature below or my avatar on the left.

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Here is the new fuse box diagram for the 2016+ facelift model S ... hope this helps. :cool:

2016 Fuse diagram.JPG
    2016 Fuse diagram2.JPG

• Informative x 5
  8. Anday

Anday Member

Reporting back, I turned power save mode off and the outlets still turn off. This was prior to the 17.17.4 update though. I just received my 17.17.4 update on Sunday, May 14 and did not try the power socket again. I may have to do that again now that it is on a different version.

9. donauker

donauker Member

Thank you for this!

Sadly the "No serviceable relays in Cabin Fusebox" heading means it probably isn't as simple as pulling a relay and plugging in a jumper like it was in the original box.

10. MasterT

MasterT Member

Wow!

Where did you get this from? More importantly, where can I get something like that for the X?

11. digicool

digicool Member

I turned off the energy saving option and noticed that the driver side 12V outlet remained on after several hours. But the energy saving option helptext seems to imply that the car will automatically enable the energy saving features in the nighttime.

12. David77

David77 Member

We have a product connected on ODB that protects the battery but also have a USB port to connect a USB wifi router or to charge a USB device at any time

[​IMG]

13. Only Trons

Only Trons Supporting Member

I tested my rear cargo area 12v source using an USB adapter with an indicator light. In both cases below, I locked the car and moved the fob well away from the car. I checked the car every 10 minutes or so until one hour had elapsed, then every 30 minutes until the second hour had elapsed, and then had planned on checking hourly after that (or until I went to bed for the evening). My results are:

1. With energy saving ON, the 12v source went off within about 10 minutes.
    2. With energy saving OFF, the 12v source stayed on for more than two hours but was off by the time three hours rolled around.

My vehicle:

2016 MX 90D
    Not a P model
    VIN 15XXX
    Delivered Sep 2016
    Current software version: 17.11.10

I want to carry a small compressor based refrigerator with me on a trip we will be taking this summer. I have the refrigerator (Dometic CF25) and have run it in the X.

• Informative x 3
  14. ecarfan

This model? Dometic CF-025DC | Dometic - Mobile living made easy.

That page shows this spec: Energy consumption ([email protected]/32°C) 78 kWh/24h

Be careful about the power draw.

15. Only Trons

Only Trons Supporting Member

@ecarfan ;

Yes; Dometic CF-025DC.

Interestingly, in my research I had noted that spec (78 kWh/24h) you are referring to, but it did not make sense to me. Maybe I don't understand the notation that was used????? The technical characteristics provided in the operator's manual indicate rated current of 6.8A at 12VDC. Rounding off, that equals 84W. And 84W instantaneous over 24 hours is certainly no where near 78 KwH.

Before I purchased the unit, I conducted some research over the internet (where all stories are 100% true and factual, right? :rolleyes: ). Many reviews indicated no issues with significant power drains on 12V batteries in ICE vehicles. So I took a chance and purchased the unit. I've run it in my ICE vehicle and also did a test in my MX. I don't expect there will be a problem.

16. Dirk

Dirk Member

Looked at the technical details on their website. All the "energy consumption" numbers they give for all their other refrigerators are in kWh/annum. So per year instead of per day. And that makes a lot more sense. I wonder how long the unit can keep a set temperature plus/minus a couple of degrees with no power on. Can you leave it overnight in the car when the 12V system is off and keep everything frozen?

17. ecarfan

Thanks for catching that error on the Dometic website. Now it makes more sense.

18. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

I have one of their units and used it to keep food frozen on our three day Northern Migration. We just take it in the motel when we get there and run it on AC. I found no way to keep power on in the car when I stopped for a break, but the freezer kept everything frozen and the temperature didn't appreciably increase when we stopped.

19. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Plugged an LED light into the rear 12V and it stayed on all night.
    17.24.28, Range Mode On, TeslaLog monitoring turned off.
    Cabin overheat and Smart preconditioning Off.
    Energy savings On but Always Connected On.
    Car plugged in overnight.

• Informative x 3