TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ecarfan, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

All the USB ports turn off when the car is off. The phone can be charged through a 12V-USB converter running from that constant 12V.

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

My non performance MX90D (sn 1526) seems to stay powered in the rear if I turn off the energy saving feature and don't have the always connected turned on. I let it sit for 1 1/2 hours and so far so good.

With energy savings turned on the rear power turns off within about 5 minutes.

• Informative x 2
  3. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Running the same test overnight. Pre-redesign of the rear socket cubby P90DX v21.9

• Like x 1
  4. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

My car is newer, I have it on energy savings off and it definitely turns off

5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Light stayed on all night. Turned Energy Savings ON and light stayed on for at 3 hours before I ended the test.

6. unpollo2

unpollo2 Member

#86 unpollo2, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    2017 Model X75, all 12v sockets shut off eventually when leaving car, sometimes they stay on for maybe 1 hour tops.

here is how i keep my 12v sockets on all the time. i use seatbelt extenders on front seats to not trigger pressure warning. while in drive mode select the emergency brake option from controls menu (car should switch to Neutral), turn headlights off (yes the side LEDs stay on no big deal), keep HVAC on fan speed 4 (or turn off but i like cool interior), turn off main screen in cleaning mode, then lock car from outside with key. Lose about 3 miles an hour this setting.

effectively this is the old camper mode. i just tried this all night to charge an electric scooter i have plugged into a 200watt inverter in the rear 12v socket worked just fine.

cannot charge the vehicle while doing this however

• Informative x 1
  7. aesculus

Interesting. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to all of this.:confused:

8. ecrsail

ecrsail Member

#88 ecrsail, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Here is a snapshot from the online Model X Owners Manual.

Even with the "Energy Saving" feature turned OFF, which seems to prolong the period of time that the internal 12V accessory power outlets remain energized when the car is in park and the driver and key fob are away from the vehicle and the various doors are shut allowing the vehicle to "turn off", the vehicle will still shift to an energy-saving made overnight.

It's been my experience that during this time, even with Energy Saving set to OFF, the internal power outlets are no longer energized. I own an early production AP1 P90D Model X delivered in March 2016.

Of course, I prefer to have the vehicle set to "Always Connected", but I wanted to be sure folks were aware of this. It's possible the behavior has changed in the last year of software updates, as I have not tested this on my vehicle since 2017.

Saving Energy.png

9. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

None of these settings are present in a 2018 MCU2 Model X

Shawn

• Like x 1
  10. mattack4000

Just go on amazon and buy a battery pack for $200

11. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

I checked my USB trunk light after 10 PM last night. I did not check it again until 6 AM this morning. I suppose I could try again and check before 5 AM if you want me to.

• Funny x 1
  12. aesculus

This car is getting expensive. :D

• Funny x 2
  13. mattack4000

Too late for that, there is the protection film, ceramic tints haha. You don’t buy a Tesla to save money, that’s what the volt and leafs are for. Think of the x as a more practical g wagon

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. mattack4000

:) This was $400 under the last Amex 20% off sale, I did 17 hours on the cfx28. I stopped it with 24% to go

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  15. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

I get constant power out of the trailer connector - I spliced a cigarette receptacle to it and power my BlackVue from it - easy peasey lemon squeasy

• Informative x 1
  16. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

There also is constant 12v under the dash. The pigtail you got with the car connects to it. Search the forums here for Brake Controller

17. aesculus

Do you have the towing option paid for?

18. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

that is included on all new cars. Don’t know how far back

19. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Dcgoo and GOPJEW,

I have the towing option paid for and installed - I do NOT have any 12 volt power out of the trailer connection.

I have had a Tesla Mobile Service call - I believe he looked at the wrong wires and pins.

I know which are the correct ones - they are DEAD - NO VOLTAGE (12V+) when the car is ON, when the car if OFF,
    when the car is is TRAILER MODE, when the car is in GEAR...

I do have the Prodigy P3 connected installed and working. But still the 12 V+ is DEAD in the 7 pin trailer plug.

2018 March X-100D MCU2 PUP

All signals, lights, and brakes work fine. Just no 12 V+ out of the connector.

I am capable electrically and the power is just NOT in the connector.

Shawn

20. mattack4000

That’s great except that connection is 10 feet away from the trunk