Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugged an LED light into the rear 12V and it stayed on all night.
17.24.28, Range Mode On, TeslaLog monitoring turned off.
Cabin overheat and Smart preconditioning Off.
Energy savings On but Always Connected On.
Car plugged in overnight.
Thanks for your report. It provides some clarity in this rather confusing thread. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Obsoletion
Update on the Dometic cooler I purchased (described upthread).

I've had it operating in my X for our cross country trip. Works flawlessly. Keeps items really cool/cold as selected by operator. At night when stopped at a hotel we would bring it inside and plug into into 120V outlet.

Little to no noise.

Reactions: KJD and ecrsail
my 12v outlets stay on...

i have an inverter plugged in so that i can charge my phone faster, and if i leave my phone plugged in when i go inside a friends house, i come back out to a fully charged phone or at least a phone with a much higher state of charge...

I'd like to use a fridge and some astronomical devices when the car is off. Unfortunately both of my 12V outlet provide no continuous power and some tricks(current of OBD is small, find no relay to short) are not working for me. However, I find a way best suited to me.

There is a main positive input line on top of the acceleration pedal fuse box, and the fastening bolt just has enough extra length allowing me to insert a spade lug and a M6 nut. Also, I use a mini fuse holder for the positive and use 14AWG silicone wire. The negative is from nearby bolt that fix a plastic to aluminium post.
ModelX-12Va.jpg

I run the cloth-tape-wrapped wires alongside the center storage and through a hole under the bar into the under side of the center console, and install a heavy duty 12V socket onto another pre-drilled hole.
ModelX-12Vb.jpg ModelX-12Vc.jpg ModelX-12Vd.jpg ModelX-12Ve.jpg

I've tested with an 180 watts portable electronic load that it will run 13.2A continuously without any difficulty.
ModelX-12Vf.jpg

One disadvantage for this approach is that the opening is upward prone to dropping metal objects and short the circuit. I must be careful to place the build-in cover when not in use. I originally planned to install the socket alongside the existing 12V outlet but find out it take too much to remove stuffs that I'm not comfort with.

Add to the above post.
I've also tested the original 12V which drop more for less current, 12.5V @10A.
ModelX-12Vg.jpg

This probably because the wire is longer/thinner or there is additional socket and relay.

By the way, the fuse for this Tesla 12V in the center console is 20A and it is F203 in the fuse box.
ModelX-12Vam.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: nitrox05