Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X75, all 12v sockets shut off eventually when leaving car, sometimes they stay on for maybe 1 hour tops.

here is how i keep my 12v sockets on all the time. i use seatbelt extenders on front seats to not trigger pressure warning. while in drive mode select the emergency brake option from controls menu (car should switch to Neutral), turn headlights off (yes the side LEDs stay on no big deal), keep HVAC on fan speed 4 (or turn off but i like cool interior), turn off main screen in cleaning mode, then lock car from outside with key. Lose about 3 miles an hour this setting.

effectively this is the old camper mode. i just tried this all night to charge an electric scooter i have plugged into a 200watt inverter in the rear 12v socket worked just fine.

cannot charge the vehicle while doing this however

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Here is a snapshot from the online Model X Owners Manual.

Even with the "Energy Saving" feature turned OFF, which seems to prolong the period of time that the internal 12V accessory power outlets remain energized when the car is in park and the driver and key fob are away from the vehicle and the various doors are shut allowing the vehicle to "turn off", the vehicle will still shift to an energy-saving made overnight.

It's been my experience that during this time, even with Energy Saving set to OFF, the internal power outlets are no longer energized. I own an early production AP1 P90D Model X delivered in March 2016.

Of course, I prefer to have the vehicle set to "Always Connected", but I wanted to be sure folks were aware of this. It's possible the behavior has changed in the last year of software updates, as I have not tested this on my vehicle since 2017.

Saving Energy.png

Last edited:
Hi Dcgoo and GOPJEW,

I have the towing option paid for and installed - I do NOT have any 12 volt power out of the trailer connection.

I have had a Tesla Mobile Service call - I believe he looked at the wrong wires and pins.

I know which are the correct ones - they are DEAD - NO VOLTAGE (12V+) when the car is ON, when the car if OFF,
when the car is is TRAILER MODE, when the car is in GEAR...

I do have the Prodigy P3 connected installed and working. But still the 12 V+ is DEAD in the 7 pin trailer plug.

2018 March X-100D MCU2 PUP

All signals, lights, and brakes work fine. Just no 12 V+ out of the connector.

I am capable electrically and the power is just NOT in the connector.

Shawn