Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Dcgoo and GOPJEW,

I have the towing option paid for and installed - I do NOT have any 12 volt power out of the trailer connection.

I have had a Tesla Mobile Service call - I believe he looked at the wrong wires and pins.

I know which are the correct ones - they are DEAD - NO VOLTAGE (12V+) when the car is ON, when the car if OFF,
when the car is is TRAILER MODE, when the car is in GEAR...

I do have the Prodigy P3 connected installed and working. But still the 12 V+ is DEAD in the 7 pin trailer plug.

2018 March X-100D MCU2 PUP

All signals, lights, and brakes work fine. Just no 12 V+ out of the connector.

I am capable electrically and the power is just NOT in the connector.

Shawn

I think I used the bottom two wires. Need to go back and check

Hi GOPJEW,

Hopefully are cars are the same.
In the connector to the 7 pin trailer connector are 3 large wires.
They are brown 12V-negative, red 12V+positive, and yellow with a red stripe.
The yellow with the red stripe is the 12+positive output from the brake controller.

I need to know if you "extended" the wires from the 4 pin connector where you connect
the brake controller to the trailer connector.
By rights the positive 12V should be powered in the 7 pin connector without any action
by the car owner - It is supposed to be ON...

Again, all that I am using it for is to power the breakaway battery and a 5 watt interior
light in the utility trailer

Thank You,

Shawn

Hi GOPJEW,

Hopefully are cars are the same.
In the connector to the 7 pin trailer connector are 3 large wires.
They are brown 12V-negative, red 12V+positive, and yellow with a red stripe.
The yellow with the red stripe is the 12+positive output from the brake controller.

I need to know if you "extended" the wires from the 4 pin connector where you connect
the brake controller to the trailer connector.
By rights the positive 12V should be powered in the 7 pin connector without any action
by the car owner - It is supposed to be ON...

Again, all that I am using it for is to power the breakaway battery and a 5 watt interior
light in the utility trailer

Thank You,

Shawn

just keep the car in the old camper mode, when in D don't push P to park but select the emergency brake from control panel
you can turn off HVAC and put screen into cleaner mode and lock the doors with the keyfob 20 feet away
keeps all 12V sockets on

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
"All signals, lights, and brakes work fine. Just no 12 V+ out of the connector.

I am capable electrically and the power is just NOT in the connector."

My F150 while towing my Airstream has to have the lights at first click turn on for the trailer backup camera. to receive 12V.

The reason I use the F150 and not my X. we decided we wanted the 28 ft. When the Tesla pickup comes out. I will be selling the F150

Turn on the climate with your phone remotely will also turn on the power, I tested for a few hours and it doesn't seem to turn off. Camper mode does not work, the power will turn off after a while.

i tried this as well and it does seem to work. turned HVAC on via phone app and the rear 12V powered on and has been charging my scooter back there for the past 3 hours.

old camper mode works also but u have to have seat belt extenders to register someone in the front seat

i tried this as well and it does seem to work. turned HVAC on via phone app and the rear 12V powered on and has been charging my scooter back there for the past 3 hours.

old camper mode works also but u have to have seat belt extenders to register someone in the front seat
Does this mean I have to have the heat or AC running the whole time if I want to power a little inverter or something during a power failure? Last week I had no power for two cold nights, but was saved by a 120 watt inverter and my Tesla's cigarette lighter so I could run my internet, an LED lamp, 50 Watt heating pad and internet. I had to keep closing and opening the trunk door via the app every time it shut off though.

How else can I have enough continuous or almost continuous 12 Volt Tesla juice so I can have 120 AC watts next time this happens? Hook the seatbelt and put something heavy on a seat or something?

-2018 Model X with tow hitch

For bigger power inverter, you can connect to the jump start post in frunk. It's fused at 80 amps, so you can use a 800w inverter. If you need a bigger one, you can connect to the 12v battery, which will give you 200 amp, you can use a 2000w inverter, make sure turn off HVAC to avoid overloading the DCDC converter, which is rated 2500w. But it may need to run HVAC to warm or cool the battery, so it's safer to use a inverter with 1500w or less.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and abasile
For bigger power inverter, you can connect to the jump start post in frunk. It's fused at 80 amps, so you can use a 800w inverter. If you need a bigger one, you can connect to the 12v battery, which will give you 200 amp, you can use a 2000w inverter, make sure turn off HVAC to avoid overloading the DCDC converter, which is rated 2500w. But it may need to run HVAC to warm or cool the battery, so it's safer to use a inverter with 1500w or less.
Thanks for the help! Where is the jumpstart post? Is it always powered? What era and model did you hear about having that? My X is March, 2018 build - would mine even have a jumpstart post? I wasn't necessarily looking for more power, but powering my 400 Watt inverter would be a dream come true next time the power fails.

That's good solution to power up laptops and phones, but it's less than 1kwh. With 75kwh or 100kws batters (equivalent to 5 or 7 powerwalls) we can power the whole house for weeks. Only difference is the power output, powerwalls can output 5kw (7kw peak), we can only do 2kw..

For bigger power inverter, you can connect to the jump start post in frunk. It's fused at 80 amps, so you can use a 800w inverter.

If you need a bigger one, you can connect to the 12v battery, which will give you 200 amp, you can use a 2000w inverter, make sure turn off HVAC to avoid overloading the DCDC converter, which is rated 2500w. But it may need to run HVAC to warm or cool the battery, so it's safer to use a inverter with 1500w or less.

I looked up the service manual, the jump post is directly connected to the 12V batter positive without a fuse.
It is connected to the DCDC converter through a 250A fuse. So he was right, it is unfused.

Not sure where you are getting your data... the Tesla wiring diagram shows a 50A fuse protecting the 12V charging post :cool:

Battery-Mounted Fusebox Layout2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed