TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can you leave a S 85 unplugged for 14 days?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by themacs, Feb 24, 2015.

1. themacs

themacs Member

Can you leave a S 85 unplugged for 14 days? With "always connected" off and "energy savings" on.

Average garage temp 60-70 degrees.

Thanks for any replies.

Scott

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Absolutely. You're likely to see 3-4 miles lost per day though so plan accordingly.

3. Kalud

Kalud Member

I would disable the beta Climate Pre-Conditioning... Unless you want to loose many miles every days when the car try to heat the cabin twice (at least) per day for 30min.

4. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

At that rate you could leave it unplugged for ~7 weeks! (I wouldn't recommend this, although I do wonder who holds the record for longest time unplugged without car dying)

5. tiblot

tiblot Member

You can easily do so. You'll lose 2-3/24 hours miles in that temp. No more than 40ish miles lost.

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Tesla guarantees it won't brick, so if that's all you're worried about, leave it unplugged as long as you want. You won't have any range left, at some point, of course.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I left mine unplugged for that long at a friends house while on a trip last month. Lost ~1.5 miles per day. No problem. I have sleep activated always in power management. Average temperature was in the 40's, and I only woke the car up once in the two weeks to check on it.

8. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

I return home Friday and my car will have been parked for 33 days. It's in underground parking in Vancouver, so I didn't give it much thought before leaving. I'll post again if I have any issues once I'm home. FWIW, while in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, I have been looking forward to my Supercharged drive from Vancouver to Edmonton in April. I'll take a day of driving through the mountains in my S85 over a day at the beach.

9. svp6

svp6 Member

#9 svp6, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Bjorn posted about his p85 being unplugged for 27 days in Norwegian winter. Video here:

• Helpful x 1
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Resist the temptation to check on it with the iPhone app. That will wake it up and increase the vampire loss.

11. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Is there an "ideal temperature" to leave the car at, not too hot and not too cold, to minimize vampire drain the most? Obviously in real life you can't control the weather, but was wondering who that lives in a certain climate/has access to a heated garage would have the least vampire loss.

12. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Oh, any typical room temperature is fine.

Below freezing, you're going to lose a lot more energy. Below about 0 F, you'll lose even more. There's also a "too high" temperature, but I don't remember what it is.

I am not comfortable leaving my car for longer than overnight unplugged outdoors at below-0 temperatures in faraway lots (airports, train stations) for fear that I won't have enough charge to get home. But unless that's your plan, don't worry about it.

13. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Well, I only ever park outside (no home charging) and it's been quite cold here lately in Boston :) I regularly leave her unplugged outside for a week at a time in sub freezing temps. (Vamp drain is usually 5-7 a day, sometimes 10). I do use the app often to check on her tho and for obvious reasons I can't turn mobile off to save energy. I don't get worried unless she's under 50 miles, in which case I take her for a spin to the nearest HPWC ( 20 miles away unfortunately).

14. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I think power management has improved on newer VINs. I never see those numbers on my Sig even with all power saving features activated.

15. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Like @Rheazombi said, in cold weather like 30F or below, the car loses 10km or 6-7 miles per day. On the safe side consider it be 7 miles per day.

16. tezco

tezco Sig P85

So much better than before sleep. I left mine unplugged for 2 weeks once back then when the garage wasn't accessible due to my solar install, and when I got back in it was down to 13 miles. Close call!

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

If you can, always leave it plugged in. If not and you are lucky enough, make sure you have enough charge to lose 1% of the battery every day in mild climates while leaving what you need until the next charge. I don't know all the facts about very cold temps, but I would expect a loss of 4-5% per day to be expected.

18. fadkar

fadkar Member

Yeah, ideally you should just keep it plugged in when not in use. The car is intelligent enough when to take in charge and when not to in order to best maintain the battery.

19. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Mine tops off for a brief period about every other day when plugged in (and when left in deep sleep with no awakenings from the phone app). When the 12V battery is at the end of it's life the car may start topping off more frequently. Tesla keeps an eye on this and usually can get you a new 12V before it goes completely dead.

20. In2oil

In2oil Member

In an ideal world, if you could have the car park at 74degrees. At this temperature, it wouldn't require cooling or heating of the battery.
    If I recall, on youtube Bjørn Nyland once left his car pack in the cold for an extensive amount of time and came back will plenty of battery life. I assume his car is an earlier production number as well.

The primary topic of the thread is if you can leave a TESLA model S unplugged for 14days or more.. I would say absolutely.

Cheers