Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you lock a model S if it thinks doors or trunk is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could try locking it from the app, or using the app to open and close the trunk again. Otherwise I think the best bet would be to contact tesla service to get that faulty sensor fixed.
No such luck. Regardless whether I use a key, or the app. Trunk will not physically open while it’s closed but car thinks it’s open, so you can only issue close commands. Because car thinks the trunk is open, it refuses to lock doors (on the app it says “Failed to lock vehicle. One or more doors are open.”

I have contacted Tesla, soonest appointment a week out and from my experience they refuse to order parts before they confirm diagnosis, and last time I needed a new latch on another Models S, it took 2 weeks to get the part and another week to schedule installation. So, one tiny problem with the latch motor and suddenly car is unusable for a month or more (since you cannot park it in a public place if it cannot be locked). Bad design byTesla, no way to manually lock the car in a situation like this. Lack of forethought or designing only for when everything in the car is perfect . :(

I was hoping someone found a trick how to lock the car with trunk open (perhaps if hauling long items which stick out of the back of the car, it would be helpful to lock the doors too).

Have you tried this?:

Reactions: whitex
Have you tried this?:

Thanks, good suggestion. When I do this, I hear the latch clicking, but it still will not release to open to register as closed (I tried both pulling up and pushing down on the hatch when clicking the hatch button after the initial 15s, no go :(). Will try the emergency release tomorrow when I have some more time.